Unit 27

leftturnabq

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-12 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]I know we all hate it when people come on here asking for help at the last minute, but I'm going to go ahead and shamelessly/desperatley be a hypocrite.

My pops picked up a leftover mule deer tag for unit 27 (Nov 10-14), and we've never hunted it or had the chance to wander all the way down there to scout it. My buddy and I have been in 26 chasing javelina before, but not all the way over in 27.

So my questions start with land access...should we count on public land access being an issue as far as it being landlocked?

Next is camping...mostly concerned with being so far south and close to the border. We've rudely awaken illegals before on cold February mornings while javelina hunting. Think there's any concerns or extra precautions that should be taken in this regard?

I know there's more than a few Coues hunters that might have some tips about the muleys in that region...don't worry, we'll leave your Coues alone, we're interested in mule deer.

I know there is the potential for good bucks down there, but how selective can one really expect to be (especially at this point in the game for us)? But seriously, what kind of deer would you personally hold out for in this unit?

Any and all help, advice, and info is sincerely appreciated. Feel free to PM me or whatever.

Thanks,
Dave

10+ years ago the piece of 27 North of the 10hwy held some nice muleys, also down by animas if you can avoid the private there are some also.
Do not know now.

I had a friend that was on the muzzy mule deer hunt earlier this week. When asked what his experience was he told me "there were 30 camps down in the forest and no deer on public land....all on private." I am surprised that you say you picked up leftover tags for that unit?? I thought it was a fairly difficult tag to draw due to the limited tags and high volume of applicants. If there were leftover tags that right there would tell me that the quality of the hunt has significantly decreased. I hope that things turn out differently for you than my friend experienced.

jeff

I am hunting unit 27 now on the first hunt. Down south around Cloverdale there is a lot of private land and little access except off county road 001 or Geronimo Trail that takes you into Coronado Forest. Saw around 20 does today and several hunters. I got checked by Game and Fish this afternoon and they said that they didnt know of anyone who had killed a deer. I am going to try another place a little closer to Lordsburg tomorrow and if it works out I will let you know.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-12 AT 11:26AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the replies.

Robert, would appreciate hearing about how it goes for you.

Jeff, yeah, there were 3 tags left, and my dad was able to grab 1.

We'll see how it goes...sounds like the bucks are hard to find so far this year.

Hey Dave. I went out to the area north of Steins yesterday. We walked Doubtful Canyon all day and didn't see a single deer. I talked to three other hunters in there and one had seen a doe with a fawn and not much else. I went back to Coronado today and saw a bunch of Doe. The first day we went South from the campground at the entrance to Coronado National Forest and saw mostly Coues deer. Today we walked North and West from the campground and saw all Muleys just no bucks. I didnt se anyone who had tagged out but heard that there was one taken out of there. I know it's not much help!

Thanks for the help guys, but this hunt is officially over. My dad tweaked his back this week, and even after a couple visits to some chiropractor he has decided that he just can't.

Thanks anyway.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom