Unit 2b question

S

shedman

I have a 2b lisence for the first week in november and they say this hunt is a very good hunt to have. i am wondering what class of bucks i could potentially be seeing in the area. i have scouted there a few times but all i have seen is some does and turkey, there doesnt seem to be the huge amounts of deer this place is suposably known for. also any areas that have proven good for any of you guys who have hunted here would be aprreciated.

Years ago a drew an archery elk tag and hunted near the Apache rez on the east boarder. I saw a few nice bucks crossing highway 64 heading south. A Game Warden also said 2b south of 64 had more resident deer. He said during the winter when it snows more deer migrate in to the north part of the unit. Hope this helps!

There are not huge numbers of deer in the unit. There are some good ones but you'll have to put in some time gettin up high and glassin far. Put em to bed and make a plan on ambush or stalk. There is some thick brush in the unit so easy viewing and stalking are out the window.

As said above, stay south of 64. You'll have better odds down around Iron Springs and Ahogadero <---(not sure of spelling)

It is a good tag but it's still "hunting" by far not a gimme.

Good luck and report any success you may have.

Couldn't disagree more. Deer EVERY where in that Unit that time of year. The majority come down from CO when the snows hit. The second and third hunts are great. Caracass, Cabresto, Rosa and close to the CO line are where its at for numbers. Some of the bigger deer are south of 64 and come off of the Jicarilla, but I'd be as close to the CO line as you can get. I think you'll be very surprised at what you see. For numbers and quality, don't know if there is a better tag, except for 2C.

Good luck!

If you get the migration, that's sometimes true. 2C is a better unit and yet is farther from Colorado.

In any case, i wish you the best of luck. It's not a long jaunt to go from side to the next. If south of 64 frustrates you, run up north and see what you see or vice versa, for that matter.

Have fun and report back what happens. I'm always very curious what comes out of unit 2

I drew the 1st rifle tag (Oct 23-27) this year in 2B and its my first time up, I usually go for the easy tag in Unit 30 but I am ready a chance for bigger genetics than southeast NM!!

I am a little leary due to the forecast next week which shows it a little too warm still!!

Not sure what side of 64 is best for the warmer weather??

do these deer utilize the lake at all or do they stick to waterholes??

Anything would help us!!

I was up there on both sides of 64 last weekend and it is very wet up there now there is water everywhere so i dont think they will be looking for any specific waterhole. try looking around mule canyon i saw somw track there of them crossing the road. or around carracas mesa gas poeple say deer are always there late in the afternnon.

I agree with sportsmano1. there are tons of deer in that unit. i had probably 10 opportunities last october. that was not even in the full swing of the migration like your november hunt will be...assuming it gets cold in colorado. and FYI 2C does NOT have more deer...just a better chance at a monster...but much fewer deer. that unit is pretty good depending on what you are looking for. the north end around carracas mesa will have tons of deer...mostly smaller bucks but there are also some 160-180s taken off of there. the south end has fewer deer but also have a better chance for a good buck. the south end is pretty thick country. the north end is a little more open. the weekend will be crazy up north so unless you want to deal with tons of people i would hunt down south first then go north.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom