Unit 31 Deer

MTN_Infantry

Was lucky enough to draw a 31 Rifle Tag this fall as a Non-Res. I plan on spending at least 2 weekends in the area scouting. 31 is a very large unit, wondering if anyone has any advice on areas to begin my scouting efforts.. Feel free to PM me as well.

All I can offer is that I live in unit 31 and I never put in for unit 31. The folks I know that have good success out here generally have private land hook ups, or sort of just "road hunt" and drive the backroads. The exception to this is a couple of guys I work with hunt early in archery or muzzle.
What I've learned in my limited experience in hunting deer on the high plains desert is it's very easy for them to get spooked early in the season and run off to the safety of private land and is quite disappointing when you find lots of sheds, but only the infrequent doe during your hunt.
That being said, I'd suggest not bothering with the area north of Milnsand and concentrate south of there, the folks without private land access that I know who have success, seem to have it there. Check to see if there are any ranchers participating in the NM "open gates" program, and Good Luck out there!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom