Unit 31 drought; antler growth

UngulateFoe

Well I am pretty excited to try my hand at a sandhill buck this year. I drew the muzzy tag after three years of putting in. I was down in the southeast part of the state a couple weeks back and noticed the shinnery oak wasnt even leafed out yet (yikes)...I know those deer get big off the acorns, so I'm wondering if any of you guys that live/frequent the area notice any correlation between antler growth and extreme drought such as were in. Thanks

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

Hey hey now. No need to be handing out trade secrets on that unit. To answer your question though..... If things don't change real quick, then I don't see how it won't be affected. However, big deer will still be big, just not as big as they would be in a healthy growing season.

I think the bigger worry is the state of herd in the coming years. This year's fawn crop will be poor across Southern NM.

>Hey hey now. No need to
>be handing out trade secrets
>on that unit. To answer
>your question though..... If things
>don't change real quick, then
>I don't see how it
>won't be affected. However, big
>deer will still be big,
>just not as big as
>they would be in a
>healthy growing season.

I don't think its any secret given the pics that are posted here each year...how do ya think I found out? ;)

Man I really hope we start gettin some rain, this is starting to make me wish I had put in for a different unit! However, I agree that there should still be a brute or two to be had.

-The Nuge

I think these guys are right. Rain can change alot. The oak looks great it might not produce as many acrons but doesnt need alot of water. Deer in this unit know how make it during these hard times. Great for hunters just focus on water . Good luck

Ung....

If we can find them out here in and around the cruces area...we can find em over there as well. Have faith in the skillz of our crew!! I'd be more worried about a fire torching everything...as we've seen in the rest of this state and AZ. Those deer will figure it out and be ok. As others pointed out...it's the fawn crop that is most likely in trouble.

Take it easy man!

have hunted the sandhills just across in Texas for >15 years, we have killed all of our best bucks 200"-210" on the driest years like this year - we've killed probably 50 bucks over 180 and all of our top ones(>200") were killed on years of 3-7 inches of rain - there have been several years where we had 18-30" of rain and we noticed the bucks that scored 185" the year before actually dropped to 170" class on the wet years - we have had as much as 250,000 acres leased up on the Texas side and have hundreds of photos,sheds,etc...from 1996 until recent and everything points to better bucks on the dry years - on dry years,nothing grows but the shinnery - which is what makes these deer so big - its the leaves, not the acorns, they only produce acorns about every 4-5 years and they aren't ready till usually mid to late august - too late to make a difference on antler growth - on wet years, there is tons of weeds,etc... that the deer eat and prefer over the shinnery leaves but are not as nutritious - therefore smaller racks. it goes against everywhere else in the country - but the sand dunes are a unique piece of country - so don't worry about the lack of rainfall in the dunes - its probably a blessing for the bucks - have personally killed a 208", 205", 202",201",199 7/8", 197" all during extremely dry years, have killed only one 190" buck during wet years - all of the others are 178" - 185" during the "wet" years. i've got stacks of pics and sheds of the same bucks on dry years vs. wet years and the differences are amazing. dry years by far produce the best racks in the dunes

I agree that the deer eat the fertile shoots of the current year pretty readily on the Shin Oak, but disagree that they only produce acorns every 4 or 5 years. I will leave it at that.

I would also love to see some of these giant bucks that you say you have taken.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-11 AT 04:46PM (MST)[p]Wow thanks for that info...you put my worries to rest! I guess time will tell. Have to disagree as well on acorns only coming at that interval, as Ive spent quite a bit of time there the last thee years and every year has had 'corns. Congrats on all your monster harvests...do you think your private lease had anything to do with it?

-The Nuge

All the scrub oak from Hobbs to Carlsbad, Maljamar, and Artesia is dead. Grass fires aren't helping anything and there seems to be a new one every other day. The deer are still there, but I don't forsee the mesquite brush filling their diet. The rains will come too late for great growth, but there is no shortage of deer.

went out to our ranches in Winkler,Andrews,and Gaines counties a few days ago and our shinnery is doing great as are the bucks - saw a few that looked to be growing well. Fishfurlife - if you want to see some pics of a few of those deer - go to the mule deer forum and go back 4 or 5 pages to the thread "Game room's lets see yours" and look at post 32 by Hunttx and there are a few of my Texas muleys on there - not sure which ones - my wife just went into that room and took a few pics with her phone and then she posted them - i'm not too computer savvy myself - all of those deer were taken less than 15 miles from the New Mexico border - if you want to see kill pics send me your email and will gladly send some pics of numerous 200"ers - posted a few on this site a few years ago and got sick of all of the jealous, stupid high-fence, protein-fed remarks - we hunt right across the state line on 60,000 acre ranches - no feeders,high fences,etc.. - mostly tracking for miles and shooting the bucks in their bed after a 4-5 hour stalk to get in position for a shot

wow I just went and looked at the post you were talking about hunttx and thouse mounts are amazing. That is every muledeer hunters dream trophy room very nice

onofre

thanks onofre, thousands of miles hiking in the dunes for those deer, she missed a few muleys scattered through the house, but that room is my favorite. i've been fortunate enough to hunt all over the world many times - and have hunted muleys in several other states - but hands down, hunting muleys in the sandhills is the toughest, funnest, most rewarding hunt i've ever done - have killed a couple of 30"ers in N.M. with a muzzleloader west of Jal a few years back - good bucks on both sides of the state line - just have to work very hard - my hunting buddy drew N.M. tag last year in the dunes and nailed a 191" on the second day - he was layed out waiting for the buck to stand for 2 hours and had 6 different men drive between him and the buck on 4 wheelers - everytime, the buck laid his chin on the ground and let the 4 wheelers ride by - sometimes 50-60 yards away - those old shinnery bucks are some of the smartest animals i've ever encountered - have watched hundreds being stalked by hunters at a distance through spotting scopes, its amazing some of the tricks those bucks will pull avoiding the hunters

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom