Unit 36 Elk Tips Honey Holes:)-

Flores425

Just need some advice on what honey holes to hit? J/K :)Wanted to see if I could get arise out of you guys. Hope everyone has a great Elk Archery hunt. I have had some great scouting trips this summer. Have seen alot of elk in the unit. Get rainfall and Elk are looking great . Thanks to Jesse in Ruidoso for the help. Good luck
George

From what I am hearing the elk in unit 36 are looking good. Too bad I don't have a tag this year. Good luck in your hunt and don't forget to post pictures.

I just got back from my first scouting trip on Unit 36.

Saw plenty of elk, nothing spectacular though. The branched bulls are out of velvet now, but the spikes still had theirs on. Yesterday evening I saw at least 30 elk out on Sierra Blanca grazing.

MAN that is some steep stuff!!

Here's the best picture I ended up with out of the trip. Nothing spectacular, probably a 280 - 290 inch bull. He was a 5x6.

nm_bull1.jpg

I took the picture with my point and shoot canon camera through my spotting scope that was resting on my backpack so all things considering I thought it turned out well.

I posted more on my thread in the hunt adventure challenge. It's titled "Looking like a Lucky Year for me" or something like that if you are interested.

Great first day ! Got a shot on a bull but to much brush. Maybe tomorrow I can be in there early. The elk are very vocal , at least in my area. The pretty much stopped at 8am. I hope Thurs is the day. Good luck guys.

Just got a text about a 400 class supposedly taken in 36. Not sure how true it is. Anyone else get the text and photo floating around today?

>Here's the best picture I ended
>up with out of the
>trip. Nothing spectacular, probably
>a 280 - 290 inch
>bull. He was a
>5x6.
>
>
nm_bull1.jpg

>
>I took the picture with my
>point and shoot canon camera
>through my spotting scope that
>was resting on my backpack
>so all things considering I
>thought it turned out well.
>
>
>I posted more on my thread
>in the hunt adventure challenge.
> It's titled "Looking like
>a Lucky Year for me"
>or something like that if
>you are interested.

Best pic I have seen from a point and shoot camera in a spotting scope. If I knew you could get that good of a pic I would try it more often.

>Great first day ! Got a
>shot on a bull but
>to much brush. Maybe tomorrow
>I can be in there
>early. The elk are very
>vocal , at least in
>my area. The pretty much
>stopped at 8am. I hope
>Thurs is the day. Good
>luck guys.

Flores, keep us posted. Love reading play by plays of hunts. Were you on a good one?

>Best pic I have seen from
>a point and shoot camera
>in a spotting scope.
>If I knew you could
>get that good of a
>pic I would try it
>more often.

Thanks! The bull was only about 600 yards off and I was able to keep the scope on 20 or 30x so that helped alot.

It also helped that it was still plenty light out. Also it is a 8 megapixel camera so I was able to crop it in pretty close.

Here's what an uncropped picture looks like. (Same bull but hiding behind some brush in this picture)

nm_bull_spotting.jpg

I'll trade picture tips and tricks all day long if I can get a nice bull on the ground come 2nd rifle season!

I did receive a pic of this supposed bull shot in 36 this morning. Rumor has it that it was the govenors tag. Recieved the info from a close friend who lives in 36. Have not heard of a score yet except for the posting on here. Best of luck to those still out there hunting.
71080902000823.jpg

Paul,
I have not figured it all out yet but you can get some pretty good photos with a point and shoot through a spotting scope. This is through my Canon SD800 and my Leica 77 APO last year during my Barbary scouting. I usually only get 1 out of 10 photos to come out this well but i have hopes of getting better. These barbs were at least a half mile away, my best guess would be 1,000 yards.
BB
5693img_0289.jpg

3209img_0288.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom