Unit 39 Swanholm road closures

snagpoint

Hunted deer in a mid 1990's in this area, so I thought I knew the area. But when I looked at Google Earth, wow log roads everywhere! Question, are all these newer log roads closed to motor vehicles? The reason I ask is that I have Parkinson's and I could walk out these spur roads and hunt the deer migration. But if they are open to Quads! There goes that plan. (Had the DBS, Deep Brain Surgery, and that helped, but still kind of hard some days. Made those big city Drs. put the the battery pack and processor on my off hand shoulder so I could still hunt and shoot a rifle. They couldn't understand why I would go to all that trouble, plus a shorter battery life, just so I could keep hunting!!!!) I know the pros and cons of this unit, but I don't know any other options for a remote chance at a good buck. Thanks for any help you can give.

Snag

I have no info on those roads but most roads are closed during the fall. I would call or go down to the FS office and find out first hand. BTW, best of luck with the hunt.

Officially, I believe most, if not all, are closed. Road closures seem to have little affect on ATV use, however.

I hunt that area quite a bit, almost all side roads are gated and closed to all motorized vehicles from sept 15-june15 in this area. Some unethical hunters get around the closure on motorcycles but atv's usually can't get through. I know you said your willing to walk in but one thing you might check into with fish and game and the forest service, I have seen them give motorized access to certain people with disabilities in this area, one elderly guy who was handicapped actually got a key to the gates when I was hunting this area. Good luck.

Unit 39 has most of those roads closed by big green gates during hunting season. I find most of these roads are vehicle free, as the gates are usually well placed. You will need to walk in at least a mile or so to really avoid the crowds though. Horses are allowed, but that's a whole other HEADACHE. Any where vehicles are allowed you will find them with hunters attached.

I just came home from hunting there and the road to the lookout is closed 9/15 till 6/15. All of the other roads close 9/30/10.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom