Unit 4 or 5

silverstem

Doing some research this year for elk and was wondering your thoughts about these 2 units for elk this year? Stats look ok and looks like you can draw without any preference points . We would be more than willing to swap info ,we have hunted units 3/301,49,21. Thanks

Some rugged area. Holds good numbers of elk but they seem to disappear after the second time they hear gunfire. You will have lots of company as with most of the areas in the state that holds elk.Has good access.I was in the units last year ,saw lots of elk sign but only a handful of animals ,but I did see some nice muledeer.

I've hunted 4 numerous times, 1st elk season and archery. My family (Dad, Wife, son and step-son) are 16 for 16 during 1st rifle since 2001. BUT at last 8 of those were cow tags but we put every ES tag we drew on a bull.

Draw must have changed since it went to bull only. We use to need at least 1 PP to draw 1st ES, 1st cow and almost 2 PPs to draw archery.

I the "good old days" (pre-2002)we could draw bull tags as a second choice most years and still earn PPs.

The elk are high and there is alot of pressure. Where we kill you could hunt on foot but we used horses since that's the only way to get one out IMO.

OBTW, nothing big. All rag horns although my son did kill a 260ish 6X6 once. Best bull our entire group took out of about 80+ elk, 35+ bulls in 11 years.

Have friends that hunt the same canyons, 3rd season, when they can access it and they kill bigger bulls then us, migrating out of 5.

Thanks for the responses, any help is appreciated ,we are leaning towards either 2nd or 3rd season(pending we can draw with 0 pp).

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom