Unit 49 Elk Numbers Up, Deer Numbers Strong

FemoralArchery

I just saw this on Facebook. They act like winter is over, the most important part of winter/spring is yet to come.

Winter deer composition surveys and Unit 49 elk population counts offer a bright outlook for the 2013 hunting season.

"Our surveys this winter have given us a useful snapshot of the status of our big game herds in relation to our management objectives," said Randy Smith, Magic Valley wildlife manager. "Elk numbers are up in Unit 49, and our deer composition surveys show good buck to doe ratios and satisfactory fawn to doe ratios across the region."

The previous Unit 49 elk count was in 2008. Since then several changes were made in hunting seasons to increase elk numbers, especially bulls. Reports from hunters and landowners suggested that elk numbers had increased in that unit, and survey data confirm those reports.

Overall elk numbers in Unit 49 have increased by 32 percent, from 2,048 elk in 2008 to 2,721 in 2013. The increase is largely the result of a substantial increase in bulls; this year's count saw a 90 percent increase, from 260 bulls in 2008 to 494 bulls in 2013. Overall cow and calf numbers also increased.

"We are very pleased with the increasing numbers and will be looking for opportunities this fall for hunters to be able to reap the benefit of a growing elk population," Smith said.

During December, biologists were also able to conduct aerial mule deer surveys in portions of five units to determine herd composition.

In Units 45, 54 and 55, sample sizes were large enough to accurately reflect population data. In Unit 45, biologists saw a satisfactory fawn to doe ratio of 62.7 fawns per 100 does. The observed buck to doe ratio of 40.9 bucks per 100 does exceeds management objectives.

In Units 54 and 55, fawn to doe ratios were slightly lower than expected at 50 fawns per 100 does. Buck to doe ratios are meeting objectives at 25.4 buck per 100 does.

"During a mild winter, such as this one, most deer are likely to survive until spring," Smith said. "Lower-than-average fawn to doe ratios are of greater concern during hard winters, as we know those ratios are likely to drop substantially when deer have limited access to food and high energy demands due to deep snow."

Biologists also conducted composition surveys in Units 56 and 49. These units are designed to be surveyed as part of a larger area - a Population Management Unit - that includes similar surrounding units. In the Bannock PMU, which includes Unit 56, biologists found a satisfactory fawn to doe ratio of 61 fawns per 100 does, and buck to doe ratios of 23 bucks per 100 does, which exceeds management objectives. The Central Mountains PMU, which includes Unit 49, showed a high fawn to doe ratio of 78 fawns per 100 does, and a buck to doe ratio of 15 bucks per 100 does, meeting objective.

It's almost like they release statements like this to try to trick the weekend warrior hunters that don't do their homework. It's fine that not everyone is into hunting as much as we are but it's a pathetic sales pitch. Of course they put that out now, when we all know, as stated above, the hardest part of winter is still ahead of us. If you ski much, you know it alway dumps in late march around here. Some of the units' numbers are fine. Many are way down, and I hate the fact that they seem to make a poor effort at trying to down play it by using one of the few thriving units as an example.

Adding to the Fun and Games festivities.. they are proposing more ATV trails in the National Forests on your tax dollars for the dirt warriors... yay!! Cause they need more places to ride... right? Rant off.

You guys are being totally unrealistic. This is the only time of year to do these kinds of surveys. This is when they are done every year. The only reasonable way to compare is year over year. See the logical pattern.

So if you have a brain in your head come May, when you are thinking about where to put in, then you can find out how the winter was for the fawns. Oh yeah, winter pretty much only affects them, so for this year even if they get wacked, that doesn't really affect this hunting season. Next year and the year after that, yes.

So quit bitching and be glad they are 1)Communicating at all and 2) the news is good.

For what it's worth, the time I spent last year looking at units 43, 44, and 52 totally supports these reports. Anyone who said last year's herd were down in S and SW idaho either is blind or uses $20 bino's.

BPK, you weren't kidding about waking up on the wrong side of the bed, as it's unlike you to skim over previous posts and misquote or misinterpret them.

>You guys are being totally unrealistic.
> This is the only
>time of year to do
>these kinds of surveys.
>This is when they are
>done every year.

Wrong, as stated in the article, "The previous Unit 49 elk count was in 2008." So they decided to use unit 49 for this article because it's had basically the most notable increase from 4 years ago? I want to see a year by year count and study on one single GENERAL unit for 4 or 5 years and then throw that in a news letter. You never see this from the F&G. "Unit 39 deer numbers have continued to decrease over the last 4 years as hunter numbers have increased, the Fall of 13' could produce a below average season in regards to success rates in unit 39."

>So if you have a brain
>in your head come May,
>when you are thinking about
>where to put in, then
>you can find out how
>the winter was for the
>fawns.

Exactly, you just agreed with us. You can make your plans/draw decisions in late April when that provides a more realistic outlook for the coming seasons. Why don't they release these statements at that time? Hmmmmmm. "During a mild winter, such as this one, most deer are likely to survive until spring," Smith said. Winter is over, sweet! Let's hit the beach! We're bashing the fact that they provided a hunter success outlook for the coming seasons in early February, when you just stated, alongside us, that a more beneficial prediction is after the most critical part of winter when we really find out how the animals fared.

>Oh yeah, winter
>pretty much only affects them,
>so for this year even
>if they get wacked, that
>doesn't really affect this hunting
>season. Next year and
>the year after that, yes.
>
>
>So quit bitching and be glad
>they are 1)Communicating at all
>and 2) the news is
>good.
>
>For what it's worth, the time
>I spent last year looking
>at units 43, 44, and
>52 totally supports these reports.
> Anyone who said last
>year's herd were down in
>S and SW idaho either
>is blind or uses $20
>bino's.

That's quite the generalization for where you just stated that you spent time last fall. That's a controlled hunt and a literal safety zone for deer in that specific part you glassed of unit 44 at that...

I spent significant time in 32, 33, 39, and 43 in September, October and November. More general opportunity, where the problem is more evident. I did not see healthy deer numbers in 32 or 33. As of last week, 32 still seems barren in those wintering grounds, that you personally know, normally hold PLENTY of game. Although, 39 seemed better than Fall 11', which is great.

I did see healthier elk numbers in two of those units, even in the "heart of wolf country," and no, the rut was not late, it very rarely is, (the lack of moisture and cold doesn't affect it hardly at all, it's the sun and moon phases and the amount of light let in through their eyes), and yes they bugled their heads off. A lot of archery hunters could take that advice and stop using it as an excuse for lack of scouting/effort. Rant over.

I think our herd trends are SLIGHTLY on the rise, but the F&G, and you apparently, seem to think we are out of the woods already (in mid winter...LMAO) And no, I had no problem finding game last year. Neither did you, but I want to be able to have game around for the distant future. Only an old timer like yourself, already on the back 9, would say continue with the unit 39 deer gauntlet from September through December!

Hey hey now, not everyone needs prescribed bi-focal optics. Rant over, for real this time. Damn I'm bored.

A few more good years of fawn survival in 45 and we may get the deer herd back up to where was last year before they ordered the slaughter.

Justin

They only survey the elk units every 4 years. The deer are done on a much smaller scale so they can be done every year. That's all probably the only elk zone that was surveyed in the region.

I'm optimistic and hopeful that those numbers hold up. Not trying to be negative but I'm tired of being told that the wolves aren't an issue and the elk are doing fine. Hopefully state management efforts are paying off. I'd sure like to show my daughter the elk I saw in this state, but I'm not so optimistic about that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom