Unit 54-2X Cow elk

idelkslayer

I drew 54-2X in the first drawing as my second choice. I live further east in Idaho within a 2 hour drive so I figured it would be a good back-up plan if I don't kill an elk in my general season hunt.

Here's what I know:

There are not many elk in this unit and the hunt is restricted to unit 54 within Cassia county and outside the national forest boundary. (The area south of HWY 30 and west of Oakley)That means private land and BLM.
In the past, this same season was offered on the A-tag and had very low harvest rates; only 10 elk killed in 2012 and only 4 in 2011, 5% and 2% success respectively. Previous years were similar.

The season opened on August 1 and ends December 31 but I don't have any intention of trying to fill the tag until after my general season ends in late October. That leaves November and December unless I get new information that convinces me to go earlier.

My internet searches aren't finding much information.

My questions:

Does anyone here know a landowner in that area Southwest of Burley and west of Oakley that has depredations problems that might allow access?

Are the elk typically in the area in the early season before field harvest or do they winter in the area later in the season? Or is it hit and miss to difficult to predict?

Any info is appreciated. I have low expectations for this tag but look forward to taking a few leisurely weekend hunts exploring the area trying to find elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom