unit 54 bucks

J

jimbocarr

I was going to take an archery hunt in early sept I shooting for the moon on 180 or bust I was hoping to get any info i could get on the unit and I was wondering if there were any areas that have know motorized access.

Unit 54 (literally) has a road or trail....all legal on EVERY ridge. There is no place you can go that is very far from a jeep trail.

That being said.......the deer run downhill and there are NOT many roads in the bottom of some very deep canyons. If you want to carry one UPhill......they are quite findable.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I'd have to agree with what gb22 said. There are tons and tons of roads in 54. I've killed 3 nice 4 points the last 3 years there with my bow, but i've got a couple honey holes. There are plenty of deer, I wouldn't say there are monsters in every canyon, but nice bucks can be found. If you want roadless hunting, I wouldn't look at unit 54. Cause its just not going to happen. You might be able to find some quite areas in the south in of the unit, towards goose creek. Other than that, expect plenty of company.

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

There are always exceptional deer, but this is NOT a monster deer unit. I grew up there and LOVE the place, but you should not expect a monster. There will be snow but with chains, you can go any place.....otherwise not all that much will have changed from the earlier season....few less bucks (because of the harvest) but you get to hunt in peace and quiet and during the rut.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Hey Grant (gb22) long time no see!

Have not spent a bunch of time in 54 but if I had a late tag I would look at the south end by the Nevada border. Lots of deer migrate that direction and it is nice looking country.

Besides, anyplace called Pine Tit can't be all bad.

well i scouted 4 three days seen lots of deer 18 bucks.one of them in 180 class and a couple in the 170's.looking foreward to going in november.

That's great news stw. I'll be hunting with 599 of my closest friends in October. I have a couple of scouting trips planned in the next few weeks.

Does anyone have any input on hunting at the first of the month vs. later on? My time off of work may be limited. I'm guessing the majority of the hunters will come out early and any weather changes might help later in the hunt. Thoughts?

Been there for both the start and the end and they both get some pressure. Alot of guys like to go as soon as it opens, if they have scouted and found some bucks they want to kill them before anyone else gets a chance. But some people I know like to wait until the last week and 1/2 and hope for weather to get them more active.
The last time I drew, because of work I had to go about 4 or 5 days after it opened, got in there on a weekend and had several camps of locals in the area, come Monday we had the place to ourselves. So if you want to miss the crowds I would say the middle of the season would be best.

I only have 19 close freinds to contend with if you could save me the 29 incher with a drop tine on the left and split browon the right that would be great .lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom