Unit 61 Bull tag

Gadjet

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-14 AT 04:06PM (MST)[p]I drew a second season 61 tag and my niece drew a first season tag.
I have hunted 61 before so I know one of the hardest things is weeding through the average bulls to try to find the mature ones. We are willing to hunt as hard as it takes to try to find a couple above average bulls on these two hunts. Not asking for your secret honey holes,but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gadjet

I also have a second season tag. I live 7 hours away so I have been scouting twice so far. have not turned up much yet. Kinda dissaponited, but it has been very warm.

Crazy4elk,
I am only about an hour and a half from the unit. I've been scouting a few times already. Starting next weekend I will be down there every chance I get . Don't get discouraged yet. Starting about archery season it gets very easy to find the elk. I think we are in for a really fun hunt.

Good luck!
Gadjet

Grew up in that unit. Get a good set of binos and be patient. Glass, Glass and Glass. Second season is tough if warm and dry. The oak brush ridges on the north end of the unit hold a lot of elk. May have to dig a little deeper in the canyons for the big bulls. You may still hear some bugling then too. Good luck.

No problem. For the first season, The Tounge is a great place to kill a better than average bull and possibly second if they don't get a lot of pressure. I killed a 320 bull with my bow in there in 2010 and he definitely wasn't the biggest. Seen a couple 330-340ish bulls and one toad. Definitely a spot to get away from the crowds and the cow hunters. Post some picks when you tag out on the big one.

Thanks for the info Bowtech....I hope to get down there again...my plans may have just been changed for me. But I for sure will be down there a few days before my hunt starts.

Thanks again bowtech. I hope to be able to post photos of three nice bulls after the seasons.My brother has a smokepole bull tag in Evergreen, my niece has a first season 61 bull tag and I'm going second season.Should be a really fun fall! We're going down to 61 this weekend to explore more country.Could you post a photo of your bull from 2010? I would love to see it.

Gadjet

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom