Unit 61 dilemma

porchdog

I can't decide if I want to put in for muzzleloader or 1st rifle. I have enough points to draw unit 61, but don't know much about the unit. Looking for some advice on which direction to go. Can a guy find a bull with little to no scouting? I would love to scout but can't make the trip prior to hunting. Are the bulls still vocal during the 2nd week of October?
Thanks for any advice.

I hunted 61 last year 2nd season rifle...the bull I shot was bugling with two ther bulls the ravine. I never saw the other two as they were farther off. During the 1st season or muzzleloader you should have no problem finding a nice bull. If you draw the tag and want some advive I can share what I learned.

Crazy and I hunted just a few miles apart during 2nd season, they were bugling then at first light. Pick the choice that you want most and go for it. I too would provide some advice., the unit is only 40 minutes away from me

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-15 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]Either would be great. Milder terrain than much of CO. Most years there are still aspens changing during 1st rifle, the elevation is relatively low even @ the highest spots on 61. I've hunted elk there 3x, taken 1 bull and 2 cows, all during 1st rifle season. Hands down my favorite unit in CO. Happy to provide more info via PM. Good luck.

Porchdog
How big of a bull are you hoping for?

consider this, muzzleloader season lasts 9 days
first rifle season lasts 5 days

If a person could not scout several days before the season begins it might be better to have the extra days to scout and hunt at the same time.

WOW...What a choice... IMO can't go wrong with either one. pick the one you like the most and run with it. I spend a lot of time in 61 as does bean man I would be happy to help in any way, live about 45 minutes from the south end of the unit. my brother in law had a muzzy tag last year and killed a bull that went 345. let me know if i can help

I want to thank you all for the willingness to share some information. I am leaning first rifle, I have only hunted one other time with a muzzleloader so I don't feel real confident and then there is the problem of legal bullets. I always set my sights high going into the hunt in this case I'm looking for a 330+ bull. I like Elk meat so by mid hunt I can clam ground shrinkage.
I would like to contact you guys when the draw is done. Thanks again.

Hope you guys don't mind but I might reach out to you also as I have a 50% chance of drawing 1st season rifle Elk (11 resident points).

I've already had a few discussions with Fred (BeanMan). Can't wait until early June to find out if I drew the tag.

Thanks

Tim

Easy choice IMO". Muzzy all day. Longer season during the peak of the rut. Elk are really easy to get within 100 yards of.

>Easy choice IMO". Muzzy all day.
>Longer season during the peak
>of the rut. Elk are
>really easy to get within
>100 yards of.

Longer season during the start of the rut. Seldom is it peaking during Muzz season, at least in Colorado.

I hunted the second season in 2010. The bulls were bugling and chasing cows everywhere we went. Either of your choices will be good. I would be glad to visit with you on some spots to check.
Peanut

I agree with about everything posted. 3rd week of Sept bulls are bugling but not rushing in blindly.

First rifle i would start hunt 5-7 days before the season expecting to kill the bull I spotted pre-season opneing morning.

Based on my limited experience in Unit 61, I would choose the muzzy season that's almost twice as long. If I wait that long to draw a tag, I want to hunt.

IMO the bulls in 61 get really hot the last week of Sept, after the muzzy season, and although vocal, the rut is winding down by 1st rifle. Colorado has the seasons timed well so they are less vulnerable.

Well the dilemma is over I put in for 1st rifle. If drawn I plan on getting there about 4 days before the hunt starts. I want thank you'all for suggestions and help, I will get back to seeking advice after the draw. Thanks again

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom