Unit 61 Oldmossback

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-12 AT 06:55AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-12 AT 06:52?AM (MST)

Snuffy, Sorry i havent got around to posting a follow up yet, Been very busy. I ended up shooting a good bull.(not huge) on the second day of the hunt. It was a very exciting time and we saw elk every day we were there. This was the largest bull we saw in 3 days of scouting and 2 days of hunting. The opener was so foggy that my 13 year old son who was playing my guide and i had bulls bugeling 100 yards on each side of us and we could not see then through the fog.
The bull I ended up shooting we glassed from across the canyon on thursday night and found him again in the same spot on sunday mid day feeding on a sunny steep hillside. I made 2 very awkward 500 yard shots and he went about 10ft before dropping. I my son helpd me pack out the 1st load and luckily thanks to Jody Weimers horses we got the rest out early the next morning. We had a great time and it was a great experiance and will be remembered for a life time.

While this was a fun hunt and we saw elk everyday and bulls everyday, there was a few draw backs. There were tons of cattle everwhere. It was ridiculous.Second, there were lots of hunters. We saw guys out at 630 am on opening morning who were just scouting for their buddies and 1 guy who was scouting for his son for next year. Every guy who had a tag had about 4 of his friends with him scouting in every direction.

I would like to thank lots of people here at MM. I really appreciate my MM family here on this site.I have met a ton of great guys and will always be here to help them anyway I can. Thanks to Adam (full draw),Fred(Beanman), Dave (Ds Slaughter),R270,and anyone else I may have overlooked.
19232012_elk.jpg

Congrats. Nice bull. Sounds like a reat hunt with your son by your side. Great memories for a lifetime.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 09:18AM (MST)[p]Yes it was a great hunt and one I will remember for a life time and I know my son will also. He did a great job . He spotted elk through his crappy set of binoculars long before I did most of the time. He hung right with me the entire time. I would be glassing one canyon side while he glassed the other.

He was right by my side watching through his binos when I shot the bull, Telling me right where I hit and what he was doing. He marked the spot in his head right where he last saw the bull fall and headed up the steep hill to get to him.

He jumped right in holding the rib cage open for me to gut the bull and was not afraid to get in there and get messy.

The pack out with the horses was a great experiance by it self. It was the 1st time I had rode a horse since I was about 12 years old and it was the 1st time EVER that my son had rode a horse. They were amazing animals and I have a whole new respect for them.

I know I will never forget this experiance and I dont think he will either. He is a amazing little man.

Congrats on a great bull. From where the bull is laying looked like some work to get him out of there.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom