Unit 61

C

COboy12

I finally have enough preference point to draw for a first season 61 bull elk hunt, but I am having a difficult time deciding if I should go first season and hunt the short 5 day season or go second season where I can hunt for 10 days and have all that time to try and locate a nice bull. I understand the end of the rut will still be going on at the beginning of 1st season but does that out weigh the extra days you get in the second season? The hunt cannot come soon enough and need to decide soon as the deadline is coming quick. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, happy to be part of the MM family!

I'd go first - less elk tags issued in first plus no deer hunters. The bulls should be bugling so locating them will be easier. Get there a few days early to scout and then have 5 days to hunt.

That's what I am kind of leaning towards, thanks for you input, have you hunted 61 at all? I am looking forward to going up there and looking around.

I'm hoping to draw it in 2014 or 2015. I plan to go first season. What I do on any limited entry hunt and even several general season hunts, is show up 4-7 days early to scout before the crowds effect them and locate several good animals. That way your hunt is a ten day hunt, but the first five or so days are scouting right prior to the hunt with very little crowds and then on opening morning you can hopefully bag one of the choosen on your hit list.

Less stress for the first five or so days scouting and hopefully bag your target on opener before someone else or before they get spooked and go to their hiddy holes.

After that you can just enjoy and hang out and watch the rest of the crowd hunt and see what happens and gets bagged.

Just a suggestion that has worked for myself.

Good luck in the draw and the hunt. Keep us posted.

i went in 2010 a week before the opener,covered a lot of country,found over 20 6 pts, gps them,opening morning five after 7:00 ther was a 318 net laying on the ground.go frist season,you,ll have a ball.

I really appreciate all your guys help now that you say that it makes a lot of sense. I will show up about 5 days early and hopefully spot a good one. I'm already getting excited and will hopefully have some pictures to be posting! I'm gonna give it hell and see what happens... Thanks again!

Its big country over there! I'm excited to see what the unit holds! Congrats on your bull! I'm sure that's something you will never forget hope I'm as fortunate as you thanks for the help!

That sound like the plan! I hope to go up early and find a good one! Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post here in the fall and good luck on your hunt!

Great advice, I'd follow it.

I archery hunted it in 08. IMO a more exciting hunt and no pressure since I had 16 days to hunt.

My partner hunted 1st rifle in "11" After the hunt he said, "18 points for a 5 day hunt, I'll never do that again." I told him he's right cause he'll never get there again. But he had his chances.

He missed a tough shot on a 370 type bull opening day, couldn't get shots at 2 different 330 type bulls and passed on 5 290-310 bulls in one evening.

Before the season he was scouting and called a 6 pt to within 30 yards, while straddling his quad.

I'm trying to figure out how I can afford the landowner archery tag so I can hunt it again. My math just hasn't worked out yet.

Califelkslayer i put in for the Archery again this year with 17 P.P. maybe this will be my year.

CO. I hunted this unit in 2012. There are plenty of elk. Finding a nice one isnt a problem. Finding the one you really want is. It is VERY rugged terrain. You have to be in great shape if you do not have horses.Listen to the guys on here. They are a great bunch and have some very good advice.

Just a little something to get you elk hunters excited about your upcoming hunts. My little brother had this deer tag a couple years ago. I glassed up a really nice set of elk sheds while looking for deer. Not much mass but the tine length is awesome! The set gross scores over 360 inches! Good luck!

9510coelksheds_1.jpg

6610coelksheds_2.jpg

NvrEnuf

Good luck Oilcan........when you draw, send me your # via PM.

I'm not sure my "spots" are any better than any other since EVERYWHERE I hunted, we got into bugling bulls.

Had one bull that herded his cows with 150 yards of our camp every morning about an hour before daylight, 4 straight mornings. He screamed about every 2-3 minutes. No way you could oversleep those mornings. I saw him the second or third morning, about a 310 bulls with 8 cow/calves. He'd cross the main road just before daylight, cross 1/2 mile of public during first light and be on private by sunup. The best I did was having him about 80 yards across the "wire" in an open meadow. His cows were headed uphill and I was calling below him. I watched him spin doughnuts for about 30 seconds trying to decide what to do. He followed his sure thing.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom