unit 7

Big unit, lots of elk, lots more private, few public access points, if you apply and draw you must apply for Wyomings HMA Access areas or plan on paying some rancher for access.

Davis, Yes, the unit has good genetics and some of these ranches have BIG Elk. Look at the Wagonhound or Elk Mountain websites. I have a friend who hunted Elk Mountain 3 years ago and killed a 345 bull. Missed a bigger one. 350 bulls are not uncommon on those ranches. However, it ain't cheap. Expect to pay $4,500 - $7,500 for a guided hunt on the best ground. Although for the quality of bulls thats not bad. GOOD LUCK. C.C.

We outfit in area 7 for elk. We only hunt private ranches and those comments are right. There are some big bulls. Success rates are very high if you are in the right place, but they are near ZERO if you are in the wrong place.

In general, the public lands get hammered. Ten years ago, maybe less, you could get s solid bull on public land. Not so true any more. There are lots of serious and hard core hunters hitting small parcels of public lands and the elk generally leave to go to private ranches. And don't think you can do in archery season either; same outcome.

PLEASE get a place to hunt before you apply. I had people calling me until the bull season was over looking for a place to go. Access is very limited and hunt costs are not cheap. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can come out, hunt the public land and get a big bull. And then think that if you fail on the public, you can find a decent private ranch to hunt for a trespass fee.

I'm not doing this to drum up business. I'm trying to help some of you avoid a wreck if you draw the license. The consultants have really emphasized area 7 and many people think they can come here and get a good bull on their own. I advise caution. I know lots of folks that ate tag soup from area 7 this year.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-07 AT 01:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-07 AT 01:49?PM (MST)

I hunted this unit this year and prior to this year I had never been in the area whatsoever. I managed to take a very nice 6 point on public land. What has been said about 7 is true, lots of intermingled private and lots of competition (though I had little competition during archery season). However, I would try to get permission from landowners, it would make things much easier.

Archery season is the best way to go in 7. Hunting pressure is considerably less than during the rifle season. Last time I had that tag, we found quite a few good bulls. I have a friend who has a plane and we spent some time scouting from the air. After that, we were into the elk. I never did connect with archery, but we were in the middle of some good bulls. Rifle season came and everything changed. Once the shooting started most of the elk in our area headed onto private gound. After holding out for a 6x, I shot a spike two weeks into the season. My buddies still apply every year and do well when they draw. They bring horses, shirt tail relations, and get a couple miles away from public roads snuggled up to some deeded ground. Last year they brought out two fives and two six's. The group has gotten to big for me, so I now apply for a different area. 7 is one of the premiere area's in the state if you have the time to scout and time to put in during the hunt...

Two friends of mine drew it last year.
They took the advice of local biologist & G&F and rifle hunted public ground on south end opening week.
What they found was totally discouraging.
Crowds of vehicles at trailhead, and lots of company in the mountains.
After the openinig day volley of shots the woods were silent.
They saw no bulls and these guys are hunting machines.
Frustrated they paid a landowner to trespass through his property to access a small block of NF land.
They got two nice bulls, but warned me against hunting the popular ground around Laramie Peak.
From what I'm hearing, securing private access or drawing the HMA acess permits are the only way to go.
HH

Please be sure to follow the laws on scouting from airplanes in Wyoming. If you are going to do that, I think you have to wait 48 hours before hunting. That's a new law from a few years back. Just FYI.

And I'd be careful about flying low over private lands. Some of the landowners are very sensitive about that. I've heard quite a few threats about shooting at planes. They don't want folks stressing or spooking the elk off of their places right before the season. It might be all talk, but I would respect the wildlife resource and the landowners. Who knows, maybe BOBCAT could come here and hire out.

I'm aware of the laws about scouting from a plane. Regarding landowners who oppose our rights to scout from a plane, they can kiss my 100% of my azz. If I saw someone shooting at me while in a plane, I'd hope I had a gun as I'd be shooting back. Typical landowner BS. One of these years, we're planning to use a helicopter to access some landlocked BLM ground up towards Gillette. Can't wait to tee it off with some landowners up there who think they'll be able to kick us off...

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-08 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]This last post is the exact reason why unit 7 is a big pain in the a$$ to hunt.

There are good bulls to be had, but the landowners in the unit are not only ZERO help, they actually go out of their way to impede anyone that doesnt pay them.

If you hunt it, just make sure you have the latest BLM maps. Dont back down if you know for sure you're on public land. Trust me, you will have landowners tell you that they own public land.

I've never personally had a tag, but have hunted it twice with friends who did. Both times we ran into know-it-all landowners that thought they owned public land.

They back down quick when you show them a GPS and a map. Having a cell phone handy with wardens numbers and Federal LEO's on speed dial also changes their tone.

If anyone experiences any harrassment by landowners when hunting unit 7...including threats of shooting at airplanes...I suggest you contact a Federal L.E.O. immediately. That type of behavior is not needed, not wanted, and is against the law. I'm sure the FAA as well as the FBI would like to chat with anyone who even threatens such stupidity. Its also troubling that an outfitter/guide who knows of this kind of behavior/threat has done nothing about it...other than say respect the landowners who want to shoot at your airplane. What a joke. They deserve to be reported to the authorities ASAP. Anyone that looks the other way on this type of threat is a coward.

It shows you the arrogance of the landowners in this area when they not only think they own the entire Laramie Range...but also the legal air space above it.

I wouldnt let the intimidation scare me from hunting unit 7, but just be aware that you're dealing with a bunch of six-fingered banjo pickers. Know your legal rights and dont take any crap from them.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom