Unit 74 public access and info

northernNMhtr

I didn't draw for deer on the regular draw. Received the left over list. I am thinking of applying for this unit, I am wanting info on the public access. I have a forest map for the San Juan wilderness area. It looks like a lot of it is national forest. If I apply and am successful, the hunt would be the 3rd season. What is the weather(normal)like,I know mother nature can dump snow at any time especially in the higher elevation, have the deer started migrating to the lower elevation? I prefer to hunt away from the roads, is there an abundance of hiking trails? What is the deer population like? Didn't do to good in the drawing here in NM so I'm looking to keep my hunting skills up to par. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I assume that you don't really mean the San Juan "wilderness". That is not in unit 74. I guess you just mean the San Juan national forest and yes, there is plenty of public land to hunt in unit 74. A quick check shows a success rate of about 30% in the last 2 seasons. Where the deer are is REALLY weather dependent. There is definately plenty of roadless country in that unit.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have hunted unit 75 just across the
road, 3rd and 4th season, by the 3rd
season even without snow, 90% of the
deer have already migrated down lower
into the private land, 74 looks like it
would be the same. Call the biologist out
of Durango, he will help you.
Typically if a unit has left over tags,
there has to be a reason, I would say
in 74 3rd season the deer have moved
lower to private, but that is just
my guess.

You are right tx, I meant SJ national forest.

hntbigbulls- the left over tags are 12 that were available for the private land but if not enough applicants apply on the left over for private land permits they carry them over to public land.
Apparently all the public tags for all 3 seasons did get drawn.

Thank you guys for the input.

northernnmhtr

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom