Unit 76 bulls, pics, or stories please

Ditto, on that tag and the anticipation. . I took the last 15 days off. I will be there off and on for 1 or two day hunts in the beginning. Got to get the hay up then spend time in the head of the Rio Grande.. The Jewel of Colorado.

I'm camping out near 30 mile over the 4th for 3 days, so if you want to check on anything in particular, send me a pm.

I drew the bow tag in 2006 as a non res. It was my first archery elk hunt although id been bowhunting whiteys in the midwest for 12 years or so.(also had rifle hunted Colorado OTC units 5-6 times getting two small bulls) I ended up getting an average 5x5 on the 5th day. Called him in to about 20 yards( cow calls) I hunted the central part of the unit and was into elk daily and also found them pretty close to the road! Probally heard at least 3-4 bulls bugling each morning and the chase was on from there. My dad now has 16 points and wants the muzzy tag but with the point creep i dont think hes even gotten any closer in the last 5 years...... I tell him he might as well decide if he wants to go bow or 1st rifle cuz the muzzy tag might still be a ways off....hes not really a big bow hunter but is afraid of some of the stories he hears about all the elk being gone by rifle season if they get a big snow.

I was in unit 76 two days ago. I saw one really big bull elk. It was starting to grow the fourth points. He had Brow tines as long as his face. Most bulls don't have much more than brow tines. I saw nearly 200 elk with many calves. The snow only remains in patches above treeline. Creeks are running very low. Pray for rain. Ken

This may or may not be a popular reply...but I'll do it anyway... if you do a search for "rocketman" and click "search archives" you'll see all the photo's you want of unit 76!! I don't know anything about the guy except that somehow he found himself in the middle of elk ALL the frikin time!!! I also know that for some reason he quit posting, but that was his choice and I respect that as well as all the opinions out there on this page..... keep in mind as you look and drool (as I do and did) at the photo's of the animals he posted that apparently these photo's are not the "norm" for hunters in unit 76, they were the norm... for him! but your post asked for photo's and I don't think you'll find more than if you do the search!!! good luck to ya this year, be safe and I hope ya get what yer lookin' for!!

al

I appreciate that. I do understand that 76 is a great elk hunting unit, and provides a great experience. I also understand that a good bull is not common but a 260-280 bull is good for me. With that said, I can't wait.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom