Unit 76 Debacle

C

crookedarrow

I am a hunter and love our sport, but when I read some other hunter views (specifically in the unit 76 rocketman string where Elkcraz44 blames him for ruining his stalk) I wonder where their arrogance comes from? It's not like sailing where sailboats have the right of way over power boats or in this case the bowhunter doesn't have the right to stalk the elk over a guy with a camera. The camera guy has clearly been working the public land area for quite awhile. What if he posted that some bowhunters came in, stalked the herd he had been shadowing for 2 months and pushed them out of the area? Based on the dates of the posts, that seems more valid that some guy complaining about his weekend warrior stalk. I have never seen Rocketman complain about the influx of hunters once the season opens or post the basin he is in and tell the hunters to stay away. For some guy to post the area of where this happened after Rockteman posts so many awesome photos from those basins is bad web etiquette to say the least.

Not sure who is at fault but doesn't the regs say for the most part all animals have to be leashed at all times?

Straight from the Regs:

Prohibited acts on division properties except state trust land:

901 C 3. To release wildlife or privately-owned game birds, except privately-owned game birds released for field trials, including group dog training, or on those state wildlife areas where release for dog training is specifically authorized in #901.A of these regulations; or to permit dogs, cats, or other domestic pets to run at large (not on a leash) on any area, except dogs lawfully used while actively hunting, or while training dogs for hunting, or during Division licensed field trials.

>Not sure who is at fault
>but doesn't the regs say
>for the most part all
>animals have to be leashed
>at all times?
>
>Straight from the Regs:
>
>Prohibited acts on division properties except
>state trust land:
>
>901 C 3. To release wildlife
>or privately-owned game birds, except
>privately-owned game birds released for
>field trials, including group dog
>training, or on those state
>wildlife areas where release for
>dog training is specifically authorized
>in #901.A of these regulations;
>or to permit dogs, cats,
>or other domestic pets to
>run at large (not on
>a leash) on any area,
>except dogs lawfully used while
>actively hunting, or while training
>dogs for hunting, or during
>Division licensed field trials.

With all due respect, the above quoted regulations do not apply to the area in question. The above regs are for DOW properties only as in "State Wildlife Areas" not USDA Forest & Wilderness areas. Rocketdog is allowed to be off-leash in the Weminuche. It expressly states that dogs are allowed to be off leash as long as they are within "voice control" distances from the owner.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5160565.pdf

All the hunters were trying to do was get in front of the heard, going a different direction than RM. They weren't coming his direction. Then he and his dog spooked the heard, not sure why. Maybe RM thought they were imposing on him but the heard was already moving along so why wouldn't they try to get in front of it. I know I would have been mad if that happened to me. I'm sure RM is a great guy but that wasn't right in my opinion.

This is straight out of the 2010 Colorado Hunting Brochure

Page 5

IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO:

#15 "Interfere with hunters. This includes distracting or frightening prey; causing prey to flee by using light or noise; chasing prey on foot or by vehicle; throwing objects; making movements; harassing hunters by using threats or actions; erecting barriers to deny access to hunting areas and intentionally injecting yourself into the line of fire. Violators face prosecution and may have to pay victim's damages and court costs."

It all comes back to that little word called "intent" and unless someone can prove intent it is useless to sit here and try and pass judgement from the keyboard. It is just hunting guys.......no tag guaranteed anyone a shot at a bull. Perhaps he did intentionally spook them....perhaps the wind changed or any other almost infinite number of scenarios under which elk herds spook and were out of his control. The only one that truly knows ir RM....period.

Personally... I feel those who've waited to draw the tag and are hunting WILL always have priority over those wanting to take pictures with their dogs in my book. If the accusations on RM are true.. Than I would be equally pissed if I were the hunter in that position. Yes, RM and his dog had every right to be there.. but as a hunter we all.. (i hope) have the morals to back off animals that another hunter is in pursuit of.

Seems to me that any hunters in this area should have had the God given common sense to realize when they saw RM what was going to happen and make adjustments as necessary.

It's called hunting, not killing for a reason. It does not matter how it happens, quit your whining and start hunting!

To blame a blown hunt on one guy is....well, childish.

Sure does look like one whiner trying to cast doubt on someone who obviously loves the wildlife, and has shown that he can help others in their hunting pursuits.
This is just my opinion though, take it with a grain of salt.
To anybody trying to pursue the harassment issue, get a life.
I don't for one minute believe he was trying to stop an elk from getting killed, he was just up there doing what he does.
Get over it and move on.

I will not pass judgement on either parties, just a bad deal all together, I'd understand if the elk were boogered on purpose but no one really knows but I sure did enjoy Rockets pictures. I think it could have been handle in a different manner, Rocket is on here , well he used to be. Elk hunter who was upset should have tried contacting him to see what was going on and why the elk were pushed, if even they were. Anyone who has ever set foot on elk country knows that elk can spook for any number of reasons, they are plum wild.Never know but I wished the two guys could have worked it out .

there are 2 sides to every story, ill past judgement after i hear rocketmans side. and i sure miss his pics and stories

Missed out on all the comotion. All I can say is, with as open and helpful rocketman has been to anybody that contacted him, this would seem way out of character for him. Having hunted that valley last year, all I can say is, if one stalk was blown (for whatever reason) I'm thinking to myself, ok off to the next group. That valley is loaded with elk, left right up and down. If these guys made one stalk that day, they must have been tied to a tree. One stalk, on one day, in that valley is such a small part of the larger hunt. We all have probably had it happen to us in areas with far fewer animals and didn't go shooting someone down on a website.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom