I will not accept any question of my ethics
or integrity. As of now I will never post on
MM again. I will not respond to any phone calls
emails etc ever again. I do not want my name
ever used again on MM. Please do not respond to
this post or any others. Thank you for your
cooperation. "the more Im around people the more
I like my dog." For the last time Roy and Rocketdog

Looks like a real s---storm here. I wish this had been addressed via a personal email. Don't know who is right or wrong but I for one will miss seeing rocketmans pics. I would urge Rocketman to reconsider and not let the actions of one person ruin it for the rest.

I second that thought. Hopefully, this can be worked out. I love your pics and posts Rocketman! I don't post much, but sure do check the sight often, and always see if there's new pics from 76.

A short note on the integrity of Rocketman. A man with a love and commitment to the outdoors, and a staunch advocate of all wildlife, someone who defends our pursuit of the hunt beyond our selfish causes, one who speaks out for what is right for the animals he loves and not the size of the rack or the petty bickering over the issues that tear us apart as hunters .I do not know the particulars of this issue nor do I need to. I can UNEQUIVOCALLY say that Rocketman would never knowingly disrupt someone else in there pursuit of there passion! His tireless pursuit of his love of the outdoors would never permit this.His decision to pull away from MM will be to the detriment of us all. Fortunate to call him my friend.

You have been nothing but an asset to MM, to elk and to elk hunting.

Please don't let one guy with 3 posts spoil the fun for you and the rest of us. Guys like that can follow you anywhere on the web, just ignore them.

Please, please, please reconsider.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

+1, I have been looking at Rocketmans post for awhile and have never seen or heard of anybody accusing Roy of ruining, let alone even disrupting their hunt. I am sure there is more to the story then what is being posted, but I will be sad to log on here and not see any more of those pics.

I know he said no to respond but this is crazy! I urge you to really reconsider rocketman.. Your posts are what many of us fellow hunters including myself love to see. I know for one that I always check the CO forum to see if there are any new 76 posts from you. I cant tell you how many pics of yours I have sat staring at and daydreaming of being there. Your pictures and post are some of the greatest I have ever seen. Maybe someday I will meet you in 76 if I ever draw a tag! If you truly are done I wish you and rocket dog the best and may you continue to pursure and photograph some of the most beautiful animals around! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU POSTS!

Too many times in America the overwhelming majority is overruled by a few, please do not let this happen here as well. I love hunting elk but do not always have the time to be in the woods due to priorities. One major reason I belong to this site is to view the success of other outdoorsman/outdoorswomen, success is measured in many ways and I consider your photography skills very successful. I love logging on and viewing your pictures, actually I feel indebted to you for allowing me to be there through your camera. Please reconsider and alllow me continue looking at your truly awesome pictures. Wish I could be there, Brent

Come on rocketman, don't have such thin skin... You obviously enjoy doing this and you have many appreciative "fans" that enjoy what you do. OK, something happened, who cares! Hunting stories are like ass-holes, everybody has one and they all stink! Don't let one bad experience screw it up for you and everyone else... The best way to deal with this, in my opinion, is to ignore it and keep on keeping on! Frankly, I could care less what happened, but if you get all offended and disappear, it makes it look like ElkCraz44 has a legitimate complaint... Hang in there and keep the photos and elk rut status coming!!!

Loved the fight sequence! I bet that bull has a bunch of holes in him? Looks like his pal poked him when he was down on his back. Heck, did he live???

Rocketman,

I fully agree with what others have said. Please don't let some dude who has never posted on MM's before stop you from doing what so many of us here enjoy so much. I live over 1500 miles from the Rockies and enjoy your posts tremendously.

If this your last post, and I hope its not, I have enjoyed them all, THANK YOU!

Rocketman, I too agree with all these poeple. Your pics have got me through ALOT of long days at work. You are an inspiration to all of us to get up and keep at it.
I have had the privilenge of talking to you several times on the phone and you are very inteligent, friendly and I really look up to you and value your opinion. Do not let a fool get the best of you. You are WAY above him or anyone who has anything negitive to say. You are the reason most of us check the Colorado section every morning.

Rocketman, you cant let that crybaby of a hunter try and ruin what you do best. Its not like that there is lots of land to run around on. I always look for your post everynight starting in the spring and on. We have lost a couple of good people who have posted on MM in the shed hunting section with people whinning and crying and some people need to grow up. Hope you change your mind!!!

I will miss your posts Rocketman. You were one of the few real contributors to this site. Too bad the few azzhats on this site can run off the great posters like you, littlefoot, and Wyo-. Thanks for the years of sharing your passion.

WOW Didn't think some-one with a heart like Roy's would be a duck and run type of guy. I guess he had a VERY thin skin.

Still wish you luck and will miss your pictures.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Rocketman,
I don't post on MM very often but always check to see what pictures you have posted. You may not know how your posts help people in many different ways. I live in Illinois and make a trek to Colorado every year to pursue elk. I have never killed one yet but I'm learning and getting close.
Last year my wife and I spent 2 months in hospitals with our sick daughter. I had to cancel my elk hunt for the year due to our hospital stay in St. Louis. Your pictures made those stays more bearable. They gave me hope that someday life will get back to normal! You need to realize how much you impact peoples lives by posting these pictures. If you decide not to return to MM, thank you so much for helping me through some very tough times!

+1, I don't do a lot of posting but I do check to see the pics from Rocketman everytime I log on. Sorry to here you will not be posting any more pics. It's very dissappointing news. Good luck to you and hope you reconsider. Peace prevails.

DEAR ROCKETMAN AND ROCKETDOG THE OTHERS HAVE EXPRESSED WHAT I FEEL. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT LET SOME JERK WHO NEEDS A REASON FOR NOT GETTING AN ELK RUIN WHAT YOU LOVE AND THE GIFT THAT YOU GIVE TO US ALL!
REALITY IS THAT FELLOW WOULDNT HAVE EVEN KNOWN WHERE TO GO WITHOUT YOUR INPUT.
YOUR POSTS MAKE THE REST OF US DREAM ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH. PLEASE CONTINUE TO SHARE WITH US, MM WILL BE CONSIDERABLY LESS OF A SIGHT WITHOUT YOU.
I KNOW IF I WAS UP THERE AND I FELT MY HUNT WAS BLOWN BY ROCKETDOG AND MAN I WOULD WANT TO SCRATCH HIM BEHIND THE EARS AND GIVE HIM A TREAT AND SHAKE YOUR HAND AND HOPE I COULD BE CONSIDERED YOUR FRIEND.
YOURS TRULY
UNCLEWALT

>I will not accept any question
>of my ethics
>or integrity. As of now I
>will never post on
>MM again. I will not respond
>to any phone calls
>emails etc ever again. I do
>not want my name
>ever used again on MM. Please
>do not respond to
>this post or any others. Thank
>you for your
>cooperation. "the more Im around people
>the more
>I like my dog." For the
>last time Roy and Rocketdog
>

WAH! WAH!WAH!

I PRESCRIBE 1 ANTI-GROUCH TABLET BY MOUTH TWICE DAILY AS NEEDED FOR AGITATION.. WITH 12 REFILLS

CHILL OUT BRO!!

I have looked at the pictures of unit 76 for years and over the long summer it fuels the fire during our long hot summers. It makes me sad that some FOOL! pisses n moans and blames others for his big bowl of tag soup (of which I know the taste well); I wish roy well and hope that he will reconsider. If he does not, I say THANK YOU for your time. I say to the FOOL who gripes remember its PUBLIC LAND for all to use. So go pack sand.

I agree with everyone else, laugh at the guy and move on. Don't get so upset rocketman. Some dude is blaming you for ruining his whole hunt because you happen to also be on the mountain chasing elk.....WHO CARES!!!! Why would you care what that guys says????
Anyway, lots of people love seeing your photos and I think you enjoy sharing them. Don't let others dictate your life and what you want to do.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Let's step back a take a deep breath I know the air is a little thin above timberline,But let's not loose are heads....Those archery dudes..were in the wright(THEY WERE HUNTING)And as a hunter ROY..Should have respected there wright to HUNT!!!!Now I no that many of you have fallen madly in love with ROY over the years but don't let love get in the way of wright and wrong..ROY was in the wrong, his actions show it...TUCK TAIL AND RUN ARE THE ACTION OF MAN THAT NEEDS NOT A TRIAL, BUT ACTION THAT ONLY NEEDS FORGIVENESS.....

Tetra -were you there? Did you see what actually happened? I wasn't that is why I have not posted with any type of judgemental B.S. and if Roy was in the act of photographing those elk I think he had as much right to them as anyone else on the mountain.

Also it is spelled "right" not "wright".

Nobody here but Rocketman and the newbie knows what went on. But I know this....most bowhunters dress in camo and sneak their way up a mountain. How do we know that Roy saw them???? I bet a dollar to a donut he didnt even know they were there. Then he gets blasted for something he doesnt know a thing about. I doubt we will know for sure, but I will give the benefit of the doubt to Roy in this matter as I know him to be an up front good guy (outside of MM).

I can understand why he left. I think his last sentence says it all......".....the more he likes his dog." Why bother if his work isnt appreciated? Roy, if you read this, there are many folks that appreciate your work and there always is a bad apple that ruins it.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-10 AT 01:39PM (MST)[p]

Chasing elk with a camera during hunting season to show or save beloved bull for best friend with big pockets..is not a crime...Don't think ROY hunts heads,he should look for elk in over the counter units..NOW THAT WOULD BE LOVE...

seems to me someone who has waited many years to get a tag for that unit should not have to worry about someone knowingly messing up there hunt.yes i am new to MM but atleast i'm a colorado resident.

NEWSFLASH---For those of you with Unit 76 tags.

Roy obviously has the ability, and probably will, find the elk and get close to them everyday so don't get butthurt that he is a better hunter than you.

If Roy doesn't come back, thanks for all the pics and you will be missed.

The more i hear from tetra the more i think this is a case of tag soup chafing. try a little vaseline.

Thank you Rocketman and Rocketdog for sharing your photos and updates leading into each new hunt season. You and your posts will be missed

A friend showed me Roy's postings on MM's two years ago and I was hooked. Since then I check the site everyday and have deeply enjoyed the view through his camera lens. This site provides a wealth of information and knowledge and amazing stories that new hunters can benefit from. It feeds us each day with the passion and love for what we look forward to each year.

I like most on MM's love to hunt, hike, fish and scout and the experience of just being back deep where few boots leave a track. We all have a right to be in the mountains doing what feeds our souls. In 18 years of hunting; I have had success and failure, I have had game spooked away by other hunters, hikers, 4 wheels and other game, but I have had game pushed to me by the same hunters, hikers etc. Its all part of the hunt just as much as the wind changing directions.

We will never know what happened on the mountain. Only those present, the mountain and the elk will know. Let us not make this a debate of an unfortunate misunderstanding that we will never know the truth and blemish what Roy gave to each of us.

If Roy chooses not to return, let us thank him for his time and sharing and wish him well. But I assume the majority including myself will miss his weekly post and would love to have him reconsider.

Good luck to all in 2010..

>Let's step back a take a
>deep breath I know the
>air is a little thin
>above timberline,But let's not loose
>are heads....Those archery dudes..were in
>the wright(THEY WERE HUNTING)And as
>a hunter ROY..Should have respected
>there wright to HUNT!!!!Now I
>no that many of you
>have fallen madly in love
>with ROY over the years
>but don't let love get
>in the way of wright
>and wrong..ROY was in the
>wrong, his actions show it...TUCK
>TAIL AND RUN ARE THE
>ACTION OF MAN THAT NEEDS
>NOT A TRIAL, BUT ACTION
>THAT ONLY NEEDS FORGIVENESS.....

WOW, another 4 post guy who knows what happened without being there!!! What a guy!

As I stated earlier, unit 76 is a BIG unit. If one dog and one man can ruin a hunt, you have a problem. Get over it and get to hunting.

There are 1001 reasons a stalk could be blown. Wind, spook an animal you didn't see, another hunter, a hiker, etc.........................................

So getting your panties in a wad and badmouthing someone who has contributed so much hiding behind a new poster is not cool.

Quit whining and start hunting!

txhunter58

If you leave that guy wins. So if you don't mind that guy owning you like that then Happy Trails.

I am with Gator. I really like Rocketmans post and have been admiring his pictures for years. Been in 76 and it is a special unit for sure.

Something to ponder. Rocketman has (over the years) received thousands of positive responses to his pictures. He has one guy, say one negative thing, that may or may not be true and he takes his ball and goes home?

Come on rocketman...your better than that. Keep posting your pictures so everyone can admire your work.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-10 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]

Are those the best arguments you can come up with for your beloved ROY...He went to those elk... It must be true about laws being in place protecting the hunter for such behavior...You will miss him I hear it in your voice..So sad you are, Lost without your leader ....Not sure how many tears have fallen but none by TETRA ............

TETRA, you set a new MM record. In 5 posts you showed everyone on this site with more than a thimble full of common sense just how big of a fool you are. If those were the only elk those hunters were able to put themselves on they need to find a new hobby or they give out too many tags in 76. This whole thing is a damn shame! Dont even waste your time on posting TETRA, I know I'm "wright".

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-10 AT 01:55AM (MST)[p]I love the pics that rocketman posts on this site , I check regularly to see the news ones.

But I dont understand why he would just up and quit the site because of what one new member has said. I'm holding back on my opinion until he decides to tell his side of the story.

But even if he refuses to say what happened , I sure do wish he would post more pics.

Thanks for all you've done, Mr. Rocketman

Roy,

When my wife sees I am on MM she asks if you have posted any new pictures and if so I have to show them to her. I look forward to them every year and It would be a shame if this stopped you from sharing the pictures, my 2 cents.

Rich

Tetra, You know absolutely nothing of what you are talking about!!!! " Roy finds elk for his buddies with big pockets"???.
WTF are you talking about?? I have talked to him and I totally assure you that is not his motivation. He is simply a retired man who does what he loves to do. Are you jealous??? Were is it written that a guy and his camera has to be out of the woods when any season starts?
What if it was just another hunter instead of Roy? We deal with other hunters F-in up our hunts and stocks every year. Thats hunting on PUBLIC ground!

Tetra needs to get his facts straight before coming on this site and talking ##### about people in his 1st 5 posts. I think we can see what kind of person you are and we dont need any more like you on here.

I dont know the Rocketman at all. Never met him, doubth I will. I'm wondering how many MM Members that have posted on here have actually met him and can honestly say they "Know" him well enough to say that he is the one in this that has been wronged. Has anyone ever heard of or seen him actually hunt with any thing other than his camera? Maybe he's a tree-hugging SOB.I have no idea and I'm not saying that he is, but I am saying he might be. I dont know. I know most of us would be ticked off if this or anything like it had happened to us. I'm sure I would have handled it diffrent, maybe confronted him there , or sent him a PM once I got back home. I've seen a lot of post on MM about Quad Riders, and others, upsetting hunts chasing off game. Why is Rocketman being given a free pass when he refuses to tell his side of the story.

I assume a lot of you guys are gonna give me crap about my post here . But I'm not looking for a fight. I look forward to seeing Rocketmans pics just like the rest of you. I'm just wondering why he refuses to tell his side of the story instead he just tucks tail and runs.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-10 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]Because a guy is innocent until proven guilty, even if he doesn't defend himself.

So, whose side are we going to take in the absence of any real proof of anything? Someone that no one here knows that has made 3 posts OR someone who has come on a hunting website for multiple years and gives us great pictures of elk? And if he is a tree hugging SOB, he sure has a weird way of showing it: Getting hunters slobbering to hunt in the area that he photographs! And whether you have ever met him or conversed with him, he HAS helped many hunters in the past.

If he was the kind of guy to spoil people's hunts, I think we would have heard from other people that this thing had happened to. After all, he has been doing this for 18 years!

So, in my book, he HAS proven himself, and shouldn't have to defend himself against unsubstantiated internet rumors from someone who hasn't.

Just look at the photo series on this thread again:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID32/1889.html#16

Losing someone that posts pictures like that is a REAL LOSS.

Sorry, I had to throw some logic into the crap I sent your way.

txhunter58

Well I'm not taking either side. Like I said I dont know either one of these guys, didnt know Rocketman had been on here 18 yrs. Thats what I was asking does any one really know him . All I know about him for sure is that he hikes into unit 76 and takes lots of pictures of the elk there.

If he's innocent until proven guilty , shouldn't that go both ways. Only those that were there know what went on and one of them aint talking.

I think his pics are great but I have never seen a single post that gave any more direction than unit 76 so I'm not sure he's helping hunters. Maybe he's just rubbing our nose in it.

He may not have known there was any one else around. I'm just wondering if thats the case why wouldnt he just say so. I'm not condeming either one of them . Just seems funny that he would give up so easy.

I look at it like this First time poster comes on here and claims that Roy did this, Roy has been on here like forever and NO-ONE has ever claimed this in all the years of him posting his pictures on here you would think if he was that type of guy it would of shown up by now, So I'm sure that he didn't see those hunters or was trying to get a shot of bull and those guys moved in on him and spoiled his Camera shot.

It kind like the gang member down the street thing, If you let them rule the roost your life as we know it will suck from that point on and that is what I'm trying to tell Roy, you back down and they will run over and punk you out. Now if what the guy posted is true, Let the world know. But sitting on the sidelines with your mouth shut makes you look guilty as Hell,
there is no maybe or could be, Everyone hears that one side after awhile that all they remeber.
I guess what everyone is waiting for is for you to stand up for yourself, But hell we all could be just talking to the wind.

I will take ROY and ROCKET'S side. I have known him a long time.
YES ROY hunts. He has also attended and spoken out for ELK at more
Colorado Wildlife Commission Meetings then 95% of MM posters combined.

If ROY was there ahead of ya you must of got up late or just flat got out walked by
an old guy with bad hips.

I am glad he is going to quit posting his pic's. Theres a lot of folks on here that
don't need to see them.

Over the counter licenses are obsolete.

Exactly my point, why get all bent out of shape if it was an honest mistake and Roy just didnt see the guy. Or maybe Roy was there first and the guy didnt see Roy, either way its public land and Roy has been there way more often than any one else so if its OK for any body to claim the elk because they saw em first it would be Roy.

I just wish that he would change his mind speak up about the whole deal tell his side and post the pics we all love

I agree with Tomichi, Yes Roy hunts and not even unit 76! I can tell you just by the few conversations each year that I have had with him that he did nothing to anyone on purpose. He has spoken out at many DOW meetings for the Elk and for the elk hunters. He is not a tree hugger , just a average good guy with alot of common since and alot of elk knowledge. He has givin myself a wealth of knowledge about elk and not in unit 76.

Yes I like his pics on here and yes mostly because I am jealous because I am stuck at work 99% of the time. I think this is really screwed up and I feel really badly for Roy. And if I were him , I would not waist my breath on it either.

Roy,Im in the messed up state of California and come to your GREAT state once a year.Your pictures are the greatest,keeps the fire burning in me.Your living my dream.Don't let the dream end. Thanks for all the great pictures

I have personally seen Rocketman aka Roy and his dog in unit 76 and have seen him use his dog to heard elk into different areas and chase them around. This is game harassment and is illegal. Yes I am a first time poster, but I just found out about this site a little bit ago otherwise I would have said something about him alot sooner. I spend alot of time in 76 just like Roy, its just a thirty minute ride for me and I know of alot of people that are sick and tired of him and his dog running the animals around. I have heard the DOW and BLM Rangers have been notified of him and his pictures on here, I don't know if anything ever happened or if its even true they were notified. I don't know Roy personally, but I know of him and have seen him and in my and many others opinion he is not the guy you all think he is. I enjoy his pictures and agree he is living any mans dream being able to spend as much time as he does over there, but he needs to do it the right way, the legal way!!

Roy,
I've never met you and I probably never will. I can say that I've always looked forward to your pictures and I respect the time that you spend in the high country. I hope you reconsider because your contributions to this site will be missed by many.

I enjoy all the kill photos on this site, but your pictures always show what still roams the mountains which make them special.

Hammnit

Oh no another newbie!

3Rayz you tell all truth from what I've seen. I too spend as much time as possible in that area, and on more than one camping trip have seen rocketman and rocketdog chasing well over 100 cows and calves in the later part of June.

To all of you who have something to say about another first time post, you either posted for your first time at one point or had your wife do it for you!

Yep, we were all 1st time posters at one point. But whenever we post on a forum for the first time, the regulars don't know whether to believe us or not: no history to go on. So we could just as easily be an antihunter coming on to stir things up.

Please answer me this: How does one "herd" wild elk? Any time I have stirred them up for any reason, they have headed to the next county. If I were set up to photgraph elk, and I was constantly "chasing" and "harassing" them, how are there any elk left to photograph?

txhunter58

True but most of us didn't sign up and make our first post a negative one.
None of this makes sense. An older guy and his dog herd the elk to get close to them?? Maybe i have been going about hunting all wrong.

Maybe this is just a bunch of people unhappy that rocketman was bringing attention to "their" elk.

Bunch of jokers.

I am the one that started this whole mess. In hindsight, I wish I would have handled it differently. I knew I was going to get bashed the minute I posted, knowing that Rocketman is well respected with the MM community. I have read all the comments on the related posts, and I respect most of your opinions. I am not sure how poeple gauge my trustworthiness based on the amount of posts I have done. I know what we saw that morning and that is exactly what I posted. We looked at each other through our binoculars, and then he made his quick move between us and the elk. If my concern for Rocketman's actions leads him to stop posting, with no response, then so be it. It seems to be a drastic move in my opinion.

I have been reading the responses and accusations to both ElkCraz44 and Rocketman. I wasn't there and would never pass judgment on either of these guys based on comments made on a public forum. I think Rocketman's "disappearance" has more to do with the comments made after the original post, not the "fact" something happened. Let's all refrain from deciding who did what. Defending either of these guys is fine, but lets not assume ElkCrazz44 is a nutcase or Rocketman is a saint.

Rocketman, if you post on a public site like this eventually somebody is going to say something you don't like... Just chalk it up to the human condition and keep doing what you like to do. Hopefully you will reconsider blaming all of us for the comments of a few. Besides, you win in the jury of public opinion anyway.

ElkCraz44, it's a shame so many have resorted to belittling you simply because you've only posted a couple times... Heck, if I thought someone purposely screwed up my hunt, I'd probably do the same. Glad to see you haven't gotten in a pissing match on this tread so far. Never heard if you got into any more bulls...

Burgerman,

We had an awesome hunting experience in 76. Called in many bulls, but couldn't seal the deal. I will say that it was the most demanding hunt I have ever been on. We walked many miles straight up and straight down. But now I am in better shape for my 4th season buck tag. Did you have any luck?

Resisted temptation long enough. First off, I like most others on MM am hooked on Rocketman's frequent posts and will miss the pic's dearly. Just like an earlier post stated, my wife too will miss the pictures of elk in the wild doing what elk do.

My true belief in this issue is there is much more going on here than either party is telling. My guess is the Elkcraz44 probably filed a complaint with the CDOW in Durango and they contacted Roy about the complaint. Roy probably felt screw this, it ain't worth it and has stopped posting. Elkcraz was probably just the last straw in a series of things for Roy or maybe my CDOW thing is spot on and the CDOW has asked Roy to stop posting. I seriously doubt the Elkcraz post alone caused Roy to leave his vast following in silence.

One thing is for sure, Roy likes being up there every year and has his audience with us here on MM. Sharing your experience is half the fun so I for one certainly hope Rocketman reconsiders next year and posts up a few of his pictures for us to say thanks to.

To Elkcraz I say no hard feelings. You simply posted what you feel happened and things are now what they are. I just wish as you stated, that you handled the situation a bit differently, but hind sight is always 20/20 when things go bad.

To Rocketman (Roy) we will all miss you along with Rocketdog and Rocket Camera! May you continue to live your retirement years as you wish in peace and with Rocketdog along for the ride.

To all the new posters, "right" wrong or indifferent, where were you during the good times? It sure is easy to kick someone when they are down. My guess is you got your jab in and will leave MM just as quickly as you came.

Just got back from my unit 76 Bowhunt. Shot a nice 6*5. Just below 300.

Roy helped me along the way immensely. He took a lot of time to explain the area and I am totally endebted to him. I stayed away from the areas he goes to for a reason. I isolated myself to the areas where other hunters weren't and scored big.

Why more people don't do this is fine with me. Makes for a lot more enjoyable hunt.

As for Roy, I've got his back and he'll be getting a Christmas Card from me every year from here on out. I side with him and am so dissappointed in this B.S. I can barely stand it. My backstraps in my fridge that I'll be eating during MNF tonight are the only thing making me feel better.

I can only hope that Roy reconsiders.

264x300,

Your "guess" is incorrect. I have never turned anyone in to any CDOW official or office. Sounds to me that you are starting a rumor or a "jab" of your own as a veteran MM member.

My son 16, got an archery tag this year. He's killed a few cows and even a 6 point bull, with a rifle, so is a little spoiled when it comes to elk. He though archery would be "fun", so I got him a bow and a tag... I didn't draw a tag, 110 applicants 100 tags, so it was all him. Anyway, got him 37 yards from the biggest bull I have ever seen in the wild! He made some rookie mistakes, got busted and then froze. Didn't get a shot. I knew this would happen with his first close encounter, to bad it had to happen on the biggest bull in the woods... You asked :) We "worked" several bugling bulls on 4 different weekends, gotta love archery season! Had a good year I'd say... Thanks for asking.

>Hey Tetra, SCREW YOU....Really...
>
>You'll be shedding plenty of tears
>this winter eating your tag
>soup!

Put a lot of thought into that one...

Thank you for your posts in the past!

This is a real loss for MM -WTF!

I had to go back and check the posts to find the comments from ElkCrazy44 to get up to speed and correct me if I'm wrong
It's not just the acusation but the way folks have ganged up on
you from the start without any knowledge of what happened!

I don't agree that you are guilty of anything because you have chosen not to respond to the insulting posts.

And I agree, dogs are better company for the most part!

They sure don't turn on you like some readers can.

I don't care for the gang assult in the Sept 19th posts.
If you insist on staying away ...let me say thanks for
all the pictures and wish you and your dog well!
Scott

EC

Sorry if it appears that I went after you, not my intention at all. I guess I should have thrown a few more possibilities out there such as maybe RM is simply tired of posting and used you as his excuse to stop. Maybe he caught flack from other hunters in the field this year and as I stated, your post was the last straw and hince the I'll just be friends with my dog statement from RM.

The point of my post was that it is MHO that there is a whole lot more to this story than is out there on this string. I do not think you and you alone are responsible for RM's sudden departure from MM. That is all.

PM to follow as well.

ElkCraz

Wow, I had a post that did not post so I will try it again.

Sorry if I implied anything towards you as that was not my intention. Maybe I should have thrown out a few more reasons other than filing a complaint with the CDOW. Maybe RM is tire of posting and just used your one and only post as an exit excuse. Maybe RM knows he made a mistake and simply chose to exit stage left and leave everyone to wonder. Maybe other hunters confronted him in person and he just decided enough is enough. His silence only allows us to speculate, but one thing I am certain of is your single post is not the entire reason RM has decided to leave MM. Your post appears to be RM's final straw though.

As stated in the PM, congrats to you for staying with this with follow-up posts and at least letting others hear your side of the story.

Maybe this one will post correctly. Check your PM box.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-10 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]>I will not accept any question
>of my ethics
>or integrity. As of now I
>will never post on
>MM again. I will not respond
>to any phone calls
>emails etc ever again. I do
>not want my name
>ever used again on MM. Please
>do not respond to
>this post or any others. Thank
>you for your
>cooperation. "the more Im around people
>the more
>I like my dog." For the
>last time Roy and Rocketdog
>

i have no dog in this fight.... hell I dont even like to hunt elk Im a muley nut. But.... assume rocketman isnt a member of MM and one of our "high profile members" had a 76 archery tag. Say they go hunt 76 and some "tree hugger" with his dog is taking pictures of elk and ruined someones hunt. If that person started a thread about some random tree hugger jacking up their hunt to take pictures EVERYONE would be calling for him to be shot. I personally feel that ROCKETMAN as a hunter should have enough respect to stay off the mountain if he doesnt have a tag and its hunting season. Its 100% public land and he can do as he chooses with in the letter of the law, so he is well within his rights. But as a ethical and respectable hunter he should know that he could possibly ruin someones hunt and stay away. Its too bad it ended like this, I for one enjoyed seeing his pics as a lifetime SW CO resident its cool to see whats just a stones throw up the road.

Plenty of Elk to photo in estes park, and no hunters to interfere with. Well put team_unc.

Well RocketDog, we will miss you big time! Your pictures are an off-season and on-season inspiration to hunters around the country as well as around the world. Your posts will be missed, as will your pictures.
In regards to what happened, I do not know nor do I want to know. You will be missed and I do hope you reconsider!

>>
>
>i have no dog in this
>fight.... hell I dont even
>like to hunt elk Im
>a muley nut. But.... assume
>rocketman isnt a member of
>MM and one of our
>"high profile members" had a
>76 archery tag. Say they
>go hunt 76 and some
>"tree hugger" with his dog
>is taking pictures of elk
>and ruined someones hunt. If
>that person started a thread
>about some random tree hugger
>jacking up their hunt to
>take pictures EVERYONE would be
>calling for him to be
>shot. I personally feel that
>ROCKETMAN as a hunter should
>have enough respect to stay
>off the mountain if he
>doesnt have a tag and
>its hunting season. Its 100%
>public land and he can
>do as he chooses with
>in the letter of the
>law, so he is well
>within his rights. But as
>a ethical and respectable hunter
>he should know that he
>could possibly ruin someones hunt
>and stay away. Its too
>bad it ended like this,
>I for one enjoyed seeing
>his pics as a lifetime
>SW CO resident its cool
>to see whats just a
>stones throw up the road.
>

Ask a photographer of elk to exclude the rut? you got to be kidding. Go to Estes? Not too practical for a number of reasons including fighting all the other photographers and photgraphing elk you can practically walk up to. I am sure most of us would agree there is nothing like a wilderness experience with no one else around.

There are so many explanations other than "Roy ran off my elk". Did you try and go talk to him and see why he did what he did? I am sure you could have caught up to him? Did YOU give him a chance to tell his side on the mountain? That is where this conversation should have taken place, not blindsiding him on here.

I'll say it again, 76 is a big unit, and if one guy and one dog ruin that whole unit, maybe you better hunt somewhere else.

txhunter58

Team Unc,

I have been hunting 61 in the UNC with my Fall TURKEY license.

Just because a draw only hunting season is in progress does not mean that all other legal uses should stop. That kind of thinking will get all hunting shut down pretty quick.

What about the guy with the permit to cut firewood in 61? Do you think he should stay home too? Or the guy with the mountain bike, or ATV

You have too narrow a perspective.

That me me me attitude is what is different about hunting now days. MY tag is more important than anything else going on in the world and even if you were there first, get out of my way. The reason it takes so many points to draw that tag is there are plenty of elk. Go over the next ridge and just be happy to be hunting.

I agree with what was said before, why not go talk to him and find out whats going on instead of assuming the worst.

Well lets see , Roy absolutely refuses to come onto MM , ever again and does not want his name , his pictures, his BLAH BLAH BLAH ever used again on MM or by anyone on MM for anything.

Do you guys really think he would have been up for a chat out there on a Mountain Top with someone who is obviously ticked off and packing weapons when he wont even come on here to defend himself with a simple explanation of what happened to 40 or 50 guys who have posted there thoughts on how much they love his work and how much they look forward to seeing his pictures every year.

Roy said what he wanted to say and obviously he doesn't give a rats behind about what anyone on here thinks about him his pictures or his dog.

He needs to stop with the pouting, man up and tell us what happened.

I think its funny that everyone is replying to him on here cause I would be willing to bet almost anything that he is not even reading any of this.
Kind of obvious that he is not coming back to MM.

I am not taking sides what so ever, just saying he is not coming back...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I just got back from 76 and was saddened to read all this. I talked to Roy several times while I was out there and he was a great help getting me into elk. I cannot believe that he would give me, as much info about places to try and places not to try with reason as to why not if any of this BS was true. Hopefully Roy and I will talk again but I for one will not bring this up. I was at Roy's camp but did not hunt near there because it is one thing to see several hundred elk but it's another thing to be able to hunt them. Did I see a large herd there, yes but I hunted the smaller herds that a person stands a chance at getting a shot at.

>Team Unc,
>
>I have been hunting 61 in
>the UNC with my Fall
>TURKEY license.
>
>Just because a draw only hunting
>season is in progress does
>not mean that all other
>legal uses should stop.
>That kind of thinking will
>get all hunting shut down
>pretty quick.
>
>What about the guy with the
>permit to cut firewood in
>61? Do you think
>he should stay home too?
>Or the guy with the
>mountain bike, or ATV
>
>You have too narrow a perspective.
>

I said nothing about people cutting firewood, mountain bikers or ATV'ers I said as a "hunter". He is there to get close to elk during elk season. I also said he has all the right in the world to do so. As a hunter I wouldnt want someone to mess up my hunt, so I wouldnt do that to anyone. Like I said Im not taking anyones side, but I find it funny that he didnt even defend himself, just up and quit MM... kinda makes him seem guilty doesnt it????

, but I find
>it funny that he didnt
>even defend himself, just up
>and quit MM... kinda makes
>him seem guilty doesnt it????
>

No, he has proven himself through the years and has given freely of his talent. On the other side, we have some unsubstantiated accusations from some "one post wonders" that stated a feeding frenzy.

He didn't "quit" MM like you quit a job. He is under no obligation to explain himself or continue posting. We don't have a thing he wants or needs.

txhunter58

team_unc.. I am totally with you on this one. Anyone of you guys defending Roy for being in the woods "taking pictures" during a tough to draw hunt. Would be mad if it was your hunt he fouled up. Interfering in the pursuit of a game animal is against the law. He should man up and take responsibility for his actions. On a side note it cracks me up to hear dudes from other states chime in regardless of the number of posts a member might have.

I dont see any thing funny about guys from other states chiming in. I live in another state . But I lived in Colorado for a long time Durango, Pagosa Springs areas from 1983 to 1997 and hunted there more years than not since that time.

But I am with you on Roy looking a little guilty , but I also think he does'nt give a crap about what any of us think.

I say drop this thread and find something more interesting to talk about .

I've known Roy for several years and he is a little over the top to be honest but that is called passion. He has a lot of passion for elk and Colorado. He is at every DOW meeting in Grand Junction or Gunnison lobbying for animals. He was one of the many who helped put the Gunnison Basin back on the deer hunting map with the tight draw restrictions over a decade ago. He had photographed the Pope and Young world record mule deer several times and this was a testiment to his passion. He lobbied for 66 and 67 to become draw elk units and was all for the new restrictions on the North side of the Basin. Roy is a hunter, no doubt about that, anyone that says he is anti hunting or anti for helping out people is plain wrong. I will miss seeing his posts.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-10 AT 03:11AM (MST)[p]To post a complaint and call out the specific area where a guy has posted so many photos is chicken sh!t!!! Rockteman spends a lot of time in that country and like anyone who works and loves an area they don't advertise the GPS coordinates. Rocketman is nice enough to post so many photos and stories and to be put down for being on the mountain is sad. I understand the frustration of the Elkcraz44, but thats hunting on public land and if you can't deal with some company and maybe moving a drainage over than pay for a private land hunt or stay home.

I went mule deer hunting this year. I back packed in 7 miles into a Wilderness area, up 4,000 vertical feet with a weeks worth of gear on my back. When I got there I met 2 other hunters on the third day and had some recreational hikers sky lining along the ridges every other day and I talked to one or two of them over the week. I would have loved to have it all to myself, but I never once thought of telling them they were messing up my hunt for alerting the animals I was watching and in some cases pushing them. THATS PART OF THE CHALLENGE OF A BACKCOUNTRY PUBLIC LAND HUNT! If your unhappy with the pressure, move to a different area, don't attack a guy and his dog on the web or expect them to stay out of the area because they don't have a tag. That's not the way it works.

I am a hunter and love our sport, but when I read some other hunter views I wonder where their arrogance comes from. When I started this post I just couldn't believe that a guy would whine about his hunt like this and basically wanted to post that we all have had some run ins on hunts and that's just part of the territory. As I get into it, even if a guy with a camera deliberately cuts off a hunter I don't think he is wrong and should be ostracized. Its not like sailing where the guy with the weapon has the right of way. A guy with a camera has every right to stalk the bulls as the guy with the bow. The camera guy has clearly been working the area. What if he posted that some bowhunters came in, stalked the herd he had been shadowing for 2 months and pushed them out of the area. Based on the dates of the posts, that seems more valid that some guy complaining about his weekend warrior stalk.

I too appreciated Roy's posts/pictures and he gave PLENTY of info if one cared to pay attention to the details. I personally will not pass judgement on him in regards to the alleged run-in. He is innocent until proven guilty. While he does have every legal right to be in elk country during hunting season, he legally does not have the right to KNOWINGLY INTERFERE with a legal game hunt. Making movements or noise to disrupt the animals is expressly prohibited in colorado's hunter harrassment law. So while he does have the right to be there(and I certainly don't expect him not to be), he doesn't have quite the same legal "access" to the game animals as a licensed hunter would under our current hunter harrassment laws. I think only a fool would take his lack of coming out to defend himself on here as an admission of guilt. As others have stated, he has no need or requirement to do so. Because of the lack of tact in the way this was originally handled....I can't blame him for not wasting his time here. It would have put a sour taste in my mouth too. Why would he waste his valuable and relaxing retirement trying to justify himself to some of the drama-queens that have introduced themselves to MM by their comments in this thread. I too will miss your posts Roy. ElkCraz....sorry your hunt didn't turn out as ideal as we all would wish in the same circumstances. We have all had stalks or plans get blown by other people....intentionally or inadvertantly. Just the way public land hunting goes....anyone that doesn't like it is more than free to shell out a pretty penny for exclusive access to private property.

This is straight out of the 2010 Colorado Hunting Brochure

Page 5

IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO:

#15 "Interfere with hunters. This includes distracting or frightening prey; causing prey to flee by using light or noise; chasing prey on foot or by vehicle; throwing objects; making movements; harassing hunters by using threats or actions; erecting barriers to deny access to hunting areas and intentionally injecting yourself into the line of fire. Violators face prosecution and may have to pay victim's damages and court costs."

3rayz....it isn't against the law to spook elk or you I and everyone else who has ever hunted would be serving life sentences. Your posting of the regs here is absolutely irrelevent without proof of INTENT because that is the single ingredient that would even allow this law to apply here. All you do is make yourself look less than competent. That may not be the case but it does make beg the question. Don't throw regs around when there is no evidence "beyond reasonable doubt" that they even apply. How simple can it be???

Rocketman. Best of luck to you and rocket, whatever you decide. Thanks for all your posts, photos and time in the past!!! Hope to hear from you in the future!!! Your posts will be missed.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom