Unit 80/81 Elk

T

texastrophies

Got drawn for 80/81 e/s first rifle with friends. Their brother who has hunted here before was supposed to be going with us, well as normal, he has backed out. Not looking for any honey holes, but any help or suggestions on areas to start would be appreciated. We will get there a couple of days early to do some scouting, but due to the distance, pre-scouting is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks

I would try Kerr lake area above platoro. Then back down the Conejos Canyon some, try Lake Fork. A bunch of logging took place there a while ago, and there is a road that will take you up behind the reservoir and about a mile or so you can hunt wilderness. Lots of area to cover there kinda steep terrain though. If you prefer easier walking try Osier Park which is on the south end of 81 on the NM border. Then there is La Jara Reservoir which usually contains a lot of hunters, however they mostly road hunt or don't stray too far from the road so if don't mind walking a little bit you should ok. These are my backup areas when my honey holes don't produce or I want to just give them a break. I have been hunting both units since I was old enough to hunt and pretty much don't hunt anywhere else in the state. This should get you started.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-07 AT 00:51AM (MST)[p]Nice help 81. No time for preseason scouting? I'd get there a few days early. Be in the woods at least an hour before light and listen. Then find a high spot and glass the 2 hours before dark. If that didn't work the first day, move to other areas and do it again. That gives you all day to cut wood, socalize, relax, etc. You might find your own honeyhole. Good Luck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom