Unit 89 deer

shootem

Now that the application period is over for deer I would like to hear some opinions on deer unit 89. I will likely draw this tag this year. I am looking for opinions or thoughts on the quality of bucks in this unit from anyone who can share a little info. I don't expect a monster buck but is a 150 class buck a reasonable goal to set for this unit? I applied with 7 points in the premium draw so any comments on the area will be welcomed. Thanks!

Are you sure you applied for 89?? WHY would you use up 7 pp for this unit when you can draw with 1pp?

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-14 AT 10:38PM (MST)[p] MY CHARTS (HTH) SHOW THE NR CAN DRAW THE REG. TAG WITH 7 POINTS, AND THE SPECIAL $$$ TAG WITH 5 POINTS. THIS IS FOR RIFLE SEASON........13 TAGS AVAILABLE FOR NR HUNTER......................YD.

150 is doable. I've heard its been hurting in recent years. Apparently the G&F is thinking its worse than hurting as they're proposing to cut tags by 60% from last year. Was gonna put in for it myself but the draw odds are gonna be way out there...

7 points for a 150 buck???????????????? I guess each to their own.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Wow, you're only asking about a chance at a 150" buck and are wasting 7PPs in the higher priced drawing to do it! You could probably get a deer of that size with a Region tag with no PPs in the regular draw in a lot of areas. If I were you, I'd either withdraw your application before June 3 and buy a leftover tag in July so you have no chance of losing 7PPs and all that extra money OR you can modify it to the hardest to draw tag in the state with a good second choice tag that can be drawn and not lose your PPs. You'll either get a better unit or draw your second choice and save your PPs. If you want to stay in the draw and change to lot better unit you can draw and take a better buck than 150", I'd be happy to help you if you send me a PM.

>Are you sure you applied for
>89?? WHY would you
>use up 7 pp for
>this unit when you can
>draw with 1pp?
>
>Brian

Where in the world did you come up with that stat Brian?

TripleBB, a 60% reduction in tags may not even guarantee the tag with 7 points then. Leicabucks I just don't want to set my expectations too high if bigger bucks don't exist in the unit. Are you familiar with the unit Leica? My biggest buck is a 130 class 4 point so in reality a 150 would be a huge improvement, granted I would be thrilled to find something bigger. I'm just trying to get an idea of the quality of unit 89 and what to expect. I chose 89 because I really want to hunt this year. Thanks for the feedback already. Keep it coming.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-14 AT 10:48AM (MST)[p]While the area is not know for giant bucks (lets face it, the instance of B&C typical or Nontypical from Natrona County is virtually non-existent) good mature bucks exist. If you are not a uber-trophy search, which clearly you aren't, then 89 is not for you. If you hunt 89 I suspect you will turn up what you are looking for, which appears to be a good hunt for a nice buck. That area is a good place to just focus on finding an older age-class buck as VERY few will get up to 180".

MY MISTAKE ON THIS THREAD, WHEN I LOOKED TO SEE WHERE THE UNIT WAS I WAS THINKING ANTELOPE........SORRY.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

4848kathy_2010.jpg

This my wife's deer from a few years back in area 89. Tags will be cut this year from 125 down to 75.

>Who actually scores a 130 muley
>buck?
>
>Nice buck for your Mrs jm77.
>
>
>Robb

Obviously not you Robb, LOL!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-14 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]Jm77 is there a list available
>to the public that shows
>tag cuts per unit?

Click on the link below and you can go right down unit by unit to see what they are doing. As you'll see, they are cutting tags for 89 by 40%, not the 60% that was mentioned above by Triple BB. If you want to send me a PM, just click on the single envelope next to my username and send me a message or the double envelope to send me an email.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/CH6_DRAFT_3-20-140005463.pdf

There are few big bucks in 89, however most are on private. If you want to kill a 150 buck then go ahead it is your tag, so shoot what you like. Good luck, I hope you shoot a big one.

I don't know what max points is this year but with everyone dumping points and tag cuts, unless you have max you will need lotto ticket luck to draw it.

>Who actually scores a 130 muley
>buck?
>
>Nice buck for your Mrs jm77.
>
>
>Robb

Obviously not you Robb, LOL!

_____________________________________-

Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to do it/score 'em no matter the size ----so a guy could get an idea of what to shoot in the future....

Robb

Very sweet buck mrs jm77!!! Way better than an average deer!

Robb, I got a chuckle. Thanks

Zeke

>Very sweet buck mrs jm77!!! Way
>better than an average deer!
>
>
>Robb, I got a chuckle. Thanks
>
>
>Zeke

Yep she did good on that buck! Matching kickers made up for no brow tines. To think, when I met her she wouldn't harm a hair on rabbits head!

She has max points for moose and I might need Buzz to do some scouting if she draws this year.

5790img_2017.jpg

Here is the buck I got in 89 last year. I was my first DIY hunt out west, I'm from the east coast. So it's not a big one, but I was happy with him. I also got an antelope buck I enjoyed my hunt in Wyoming a lot, want to go back for elk and will go back in a few years for deer. The people of Wyoming were very friendly, from the local Wal-Mart to the meat processor.

Thanks guys!

I was on the north slope of the rattlesnake mountains out poison spider cr. RD. on public land. the land is really checker bored out there and they post it all public or not. so a good GPS/Map is key

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom