Using Motorcycles Offroad in 39???

Murdoc34

I spent the day in the roaring river area in 39 today. I left the house at 4:30am and started hiking about 7am. According to google earth I had hiked just under 2600 vertical feet in about 3 hours. It was a haul. When I was about half way up I could hear a motorcycle that seemed pretty close up on top. After it shut off I heard a single shot in the canyon I was trying to get to. I continued to hunt and a few hours later came across a fresh carcass that had been quartered out. This was the only hunter that was in the area the entire day. While on top, I did see the motorcycle that had somehow made it up there.

I had done a fair amount of homework on this area and chose it today for the reason that there are no roads or apparent 4 wheeler trails. I did see a few hiking/horse trails on the map, but wasn't aware that a motorcycle could use these.

I'm not upset by any means that this hunter came to the same area that I did or shot a deer in the area. I'm glad he had the opportunity. What I'd like to know is if these single track trails in 39 are all usable by motorcycle. If this is the case, this seems to be the way to access some great back country without having to hike 3 hours up hill. I appreciate any info.

Brady

i think most of the single track in 39 is open. most are marked at the trailhead if so. beware...the forest service has a cruel sense of humor and some of these trails are only fit for mountain goats, yet marked open for 2 wheels.

You are right. I just looked it up on a forest service map and most of these trails are accessible by motorcycles. Good to know.

Brady

As Lip hinted, some of those trails are in that area are truly viscious! If you were on the trail going from the road switchback directly uphill toward Trinity Lakes, that's one of the BETTER trails!

pwdr

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom