Usually not discussed...BUTT..

H

hosedragger

After sitting back for a few months and laughing my arse off on a daily basis here on MM, I've got a topic to inquire on.The topic is on colonoscopy.My thinking is it I might get a more honest opinion from a stranger, (even though a whole bunch of you all seem more like family and co-workers than strangers)I'm 40 years old and have my appointment at 12:30 pm Thur.Any advice or info would be very helpful,Thanks

Ignore the instructions not to eat.....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I've had one in my life. The bowel prep sucks. Drinkin' and Squirtin'

More detailed info courtesy of Dave Berry . . .

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an
appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy
showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go
all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis. Then
Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring
and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear
anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A
TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!"

I left Andy's office with some written instructions and a prescription for
a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a
microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice
it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America's
enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.
Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In
accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all
I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.
Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder
together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water.
(For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32
gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour,
because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of
goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great
sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel
movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off
your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but:
Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the
MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you
wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much
confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything.
And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink
another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your
bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not
even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next morning
my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried
about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts
of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do
you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be
enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and
totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to
a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little
curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital
garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on,
makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand.
Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was
already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their
MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but
then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it
to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode.
You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where
Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the
17,000 foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I
was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left
side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in
my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song
was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs
that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen'
had to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,'
I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than
a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to
tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling
'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I
was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood. Andy was
looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even
more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon
had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal
organ.

On the subject of Colonoscopies ...
Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite
humorous ... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments
made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their
colonoscopies:

1. "Take it easy, Doc. You're boldly going where no man has gone before!"

2. "Find Amelia Earhart yet?"

3. "Can you hear me NOW?"

4. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

5. "You know, in Arkansas, we're now legally married."

6. "Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?"

7. "You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out ..."

8. "Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!"

9. "If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!"

10. "Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity."

11. "You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?"

12. "God, now I know why I am not gay."

And the best one of all ...

13. "Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up
there?"

And another . . . .

OK. You turned 50. You know you're supposed to get a colonoscopy. But you haven't. Here are your reasons:

1. You've been busy.

2. You don't have a history of cancer in your family.

3. You haven't noticed any problems.

4. You don't want a doctor to stick a tube 17,000 feet up your butt.

Let's examine these reasons one at a time. No, wait, let's not. Because you and I both know that the only real reason is No. 4. This is natural. The idea of having another human, even a medical human, becoming deeply involved in what is technically known as your ''behindular zone'' gives you the creeping willies.

I know this because I am like you, except worse. I yield to nobody in the field of being a pathetic weenie medical coward. I become faint and nauseous during even very minor medical procedures, such as making an appointment by phone. It's much worse when I come into physical contact with the medical profession. More than one doctor's office has a dent in the floor caused by my forehead striking it seconds after I got a shot.

In 1997, when I turned 50, everybody told me I should get a colonoscopy. I agreed that I definitely should, but not right away. By following this policy, I reached age 55 without having had a colonoscopy. Then I did something so pathetic and embarrassing that I am frankly ashamed to tell you about it.

What happened was, a giant 40-foot replica of a human colon came to Miami Beach. Really. It's an educational exhibit called the Colossal Colon, and it was on a nationwide tour to promote awareness of colo-rectal cancer. The idea is, you crawl through the Colossal Colon, and you encounter various educational items in there, such as polyps, cancer and hemorrhoids the size of regulation volleyballs, and you go, ''Whoa, I better find out if I contain any of these things,'' and you get a colonoscopy.

If you are as a professional humor writer, and there is a giant colon within a 200-mile radius, you are legally obligated to go see it. So I went to Miami Beach and crawled through the Colossal Colon. I wrote a column about it, making tasteless colon jokes. But I also urged everyone to get a colonoscopy. I even, when I emerged from the Colossal Colon, signed a pledge stating that I would get one.

But I didn't get one. I was a fraud, a hypocrite, a liar. I was practically a member of Congress.

Five more years passed. I turned 60, and I still hadn't gotten a colonoscopy. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I got an e-mail from my brother Sam, who is 10 years younger than I am, but more mature. The email was addressed to me and my middle brother, Phil. It said:

''Dear Brothers,

''I went in for a routine colonoscopy and got the dreaded diagnosis: cancer. We're told it's early and that there is a good prognosis that they can get it all out, so, fingers crossed, knock on wood, and all that. And of course they told me to tell my siblings to get screened. I imagine you both have.''

Um. Well.

First I called Sam. He was hopeful, but scared. We talked for a while, and when we hung up, I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis. Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote, ''HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BUTT!''

Ask for the video they make. Good to show at family gatherings. Be sure and have corn for several days ahead of time. Be sure and talk about this every time you get a chance. Even to strangers. Like at the bank or post office. Ask the tech if they want fries with that. When they get it in there start coughing and maybe even gag. Open your mouth and wave at the camera. Part way through start acting like you are aroused.

I could go on.

Great topic - awesome question!!!! JB you and NV and Dave Berry are killing me!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]"Hosedragger",,,,,seriously!, you are about to find out who else can call themselves, "Hosedragger".

Funny stuff on here, that's because what you are about to do.....ain't funny, or fun.

May have been the only time I thought being gay could have had an upside?.....well, there was that jail incident in Juarez, Mexico, but nevermind.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER....and know where the closest toilet to the exam table is......or trash can,at least.

EDIT: I forgot!!!

Did you see the movie "Jackass" where that guy put a toy car up his azz and then went to the DR?

THAT is way fuuny chit, right there!

Don't have the procedure done in a third world country or Las Vegas unless you want to catch Hepatitis or HIV. (The Nevadans that read this post will know what I am talking about.)

Don't be alarmed if you wake up with a Butt full of lube. That's normal, haha.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm on my prep day today,this suff you have to drink is the worst.I feel the night of a thousand waterfalls is upon me!

....just pretend you're Tmoney and enjoy it.....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Hosedragger

I just had one about 3 weeks ago. Its not so bad, went in and layed on the table on my left side, the nurse said you'll feel a little funny and the next thing I know they told me I was done. No discomfort, no sore butt, no pain at all. Its a piece of cake, don't sweat it.

Thanks Apex thats more like what I was hoping to hear...Although the rest of the stuff is some funny CRAP....

Nickman, good one! I was expecting someone to say that.

Hosedragger, it is painless and will be over before you know it. You are doing the right thing. These tests save lives.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Let me quote the great philosipher Jeff Foxworthy

"Here comes the choo-choo!"

He who stomps the greatest stinky wins!

You should be OK. I check out azz's all night long. Sometimes 30+. In fact right now there are two waiting for me as I speak. LOL

Just relax and DON'T CLINCH THE CHEECKS

hate it when my fingers get squished.

Hunters, I have had three of the big C's and none of them bothered me one bit. Every person over the age of 50 should get examined every five years----I do. Nothing to it! CowTag

40?? I think the doc just wants to see whats new. i think your about 10 years early. Oh well better safe than sorry i guess.

From one who survived colo-rectal cancer, git er done. I have had several, and the worst part is the fasting & cleansing, especially the fleet.
It doesn't hurt, and you are out cold when they do it.
And I was told for men 40 is when they want to start checking, as it is more prevalent than first suspected...
So, today I live the same as before the cancer, but I am very thankful I went in and had the peek done...

Stop Global Whining

When you wake up if the Doc is sitting on the edge of the bed stroking your hair and smoking a cigarette you might have a problem.

if you can get past the emBARE-ASSment of being in a compromising position in front of a few people you don't know you will be fine. the procedure itself is painless aside from the slight bloating feeling afterwards.

if you have a computer at home you can save yourself some money on the procedure with this Do It Yourself kit
ColonHomeKit.jpg

My wife and Daughter went with me, I was laying on the table before things started and my daughter came up and said Dad I think that is going to leave a mark !!!! needless to say thats when both of them got ran out of the room. But like every one has said it's a good thing.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-09 AT 09:30AM (MST)[p]My Father in Law was to proud to go get one. "They're not going to stick that up my a ss."

I've been driving his Dream Truck since Jan 2000 cause he died a slow lingering death right after he bought it. Took him 9 months to die. He was 59 years old.

The choice is yours to make.

can't they check that through blood work?

He who stomps the greatest stinky wins!

I have had it done three times over the last 18 years and it is not something that you should take lightly, get it done.
The first time the Dr. found two Polyps, cut them out and finished the inspection of the colon tract. They turned out to be beneign so that was a good sign.

Like stated above, today there procedures are so easy and safe the worst part is the FLEET stuff you have to drink and not eat before the day of the procedure.

The Dr. told me that MEN should start having this check every 5-7 years starting around 50 years of age. Some even before if they are having problems.

Brian

Hey Hose its a cake walk the prep and the mine games hurt more than the tube in the ass. Had one done 5 weeks ago, they didnt put me out all the way got to lay there and watch the little critter go through my gut I told the doc there was alot of sharp turns to make it was like driving up the coast on Hwy 1 in calif. As I was laying there I was just hoping I wouldnt cough and crap at the same time, I thought of the old days out on the Dairy standing behind a cow after she ate a bunch of green grass, and when she would cough and ##### at the same time it wasnt a pretty sight and i didnt want the Doc. to look like I did.

>You should be OK. I check
>out azz's all night long.
>Sometimes 30+. In fact right
>now there are two waiting
>for me as I speak.
>LOL
>
>Just relax and DON'T CLINCH THE
>CHEECKS
>
>hate it when my fingers get
>squished.

Thus the name Rug Arm

Well I had it done Thurs.I've got to say that honestly,the most pain I felt was from pulling the tape off where the IV was...I know now of the mind games some of you are speaking of...The Dr says he found 2 polyps I'll get results of the test next week.So now after having it done, I feel qualified to give a PSA moment...Im 40 years old,about 10 years younger than the target age, but because of job hazzards,my Dr had me do it.Anyone whos in that age group NEEDS to get one done,If not for yourself,do it for the ones you love and the ones that love you! Thanks to everyone who responded,it was a big help...Louie E

Im going to be getting one in about a month, part of the screening to get on the transplant list. Not looking forward to any of it.

I had one at age 29, one polyp removed, not a big deal. What are kind of job hazards do you have that would affect your backside?

I had mine a few years ago and as said before, the worst part is the "cleaning" process. I remember getting into the procedure room and turning on my side, then I remember waking up thinking "oh $hit, I'm not out". When the nurse asked if I was ok, I said "no I'm not, please make sure I'm out before you let them start". She just started laughing at me and finally told me I was finished and ready to go home... At first I thought she was laughing at what she was seeing under the gown they have given me which had about 18" tore off the bottom...
I still wonder if that wasn't the case!! LOL..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom