UT tag combo LE elk general Deer..worth it?

Bill_in_MI

I hope to draw my UT LE elk tag this year and am always interested in a possible bonus animal. It looks like some units have a general deer tag available for the same dates/weapon.

So, how many have done this? Is it worth it or just a distraction?

Thx
Bill

Are you putting in for muzzle loader Elk?

I'm hoping for the same thing, muzzy Elk & general muzzy deer.

If you have the time then I think it is worth it for sure. I had a 2012 LE elk muzzy tag and also had a cow tag for the same area for a later season but was able to shoot my cow after I shot my bull. I wish I would of had a deer tag in my pocket as well because I saw 3 nice 4 point bucks I could have shot if I would of had the deer tag. one of the 4points i had at ten yards and another at 70 yards as if they knew I couldn't shoot them. I say if you have the whole hunt to be there then why not.

Are you a non-resident? If so then it might be most economical to hunt deer during the elk hunt instead of making a second trip to hunt deer.

I think that there are many ways of looking at this. I hunted the LE Rifle elk hunt with my brothers last year. I wish I had a muzzy deer that started right after that hunt ended cause I saw some good bucks while chasing elk. In this case, we were able to scout deer for a whole week and then would have hunted them the next week which would have been sweet. Maybe you could do an archery deer tag and scout elk while you hunt deer?

It can be an advantage to have that extra tag in your pocket as you never know what you will see when in the woods. There was a guy who posted a picture on here of a monster buck he ran into while on his wife's Muzzy Bull hunt. He had a deer tag and filled it. I'd say that it wouldn't hurt to get it for the same season, but focus on the elk as you may never draw another Utah LE elk tag again, Lol. You can always hunt deer harder the next year too. Good luck with whatever you choose.

www.biggamedrawodds.com

While having an extra tag sounds inviting, it can also be a big distraction. Say you see a good buck before you find an elk and wound it or shoot it in a bad spot. You would then be stuck wasting a lot of valuable elk hunting time taking care of the deer.
Killing a big bull is no slam dunk on the muzzy hunt, so just be cautious about what a possible deer tag would mean to your elk hunt.
Good luck and post up pictures!

Bill,

If it were me i would grab a deer tag but use it only after i kill my bull or if a great buck gives you a chance. Dont spend valuable hunting time packing out an average buck.

I know the hunts i did not have a deer tag, i have seen great bucks. Certainly not a bad thing to give your self a chance at a 2nd animal.

Good luck in the draws!

Thx for the ideas. If I commit to being out the entire season with 2 day scouting before, I think I'd try to pick up that deer tag too...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-13 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]Thank you for that info.

I am getting conflicting data from UDWR and other draw odd sites regarding the General buck deer muzzy tags from last year.

Initially it seems that there were leftovers in the NR pool and might have been available in July to buy OTC.

Does anyone know what units had leftover Gen Buck Deer permits?

The nice ladies in 2 UT offices had data that corresponded to how many permits were awarded to NR's for the units (under subscribed), but no specific info to how they were then allocated (left over draw, given to residents, etc).

The issue is that I don't want to draw a gen deer tag since my elk tag is not guaranteed. And although past performance is not an indicator of future results, it would be nice to see if there is a trend.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thx
Bill

Here's a link to the 2012 permits not drawn in the regular round:
http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/hunting/hunting-information/big-game/562-2012-remaining-biggame.html

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom