Utah Cow Elk

P

Prism

Thought you'd get a kick out of this.

IT'S BEEN 8 YEARS since I last drew a cow tag in Utah!

And yes I've applied every year.

That's pretty funny if you ask me. How long has it been for you?

Not only are our LE Bull hunts OIL, it appears our LE rifle cow hunts are too!

Thankfully we now have preference points for antlerless hunts. I may now luck out and draw one more cow tag in my lifetime!

Thanks Utah:)

Never put in for a cow tag and probably never will. Looks like it's pretty popular. Wish there were more cows on the SW Desert. They need to hand out a few horse tags. I'd put in for one of them.

WOW Prism!!!

THEY (UDWR) FINALLY STOPED ALOT OF THE COW SLAUGHTERS ON THE SOUTH SLOPE!!!

YOU WANT TO SEE A HERD GO DOWN HILL,YOU SHOULD OF SEEN THIS!!!

THIS WASN'T A HUNT,THIS WAS A SHOOTING GALLERY!!!

I'LL PLACE MONEY ON THE AVERAGE THE CITY SLICKERS WERE WOUNDING & KILLING WAY MORE THAN ONE COW A PIECE,I SEEN FLOCK SHOOTING HAPPENING WAY TOO MUCH!!!

NOW I KNOW YOU DON'T HUNT LIKE THAT BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING!!!

THE LAST 2 SEASONS TO SEE MULE DEER RELAXED DURING THE RUT IS SOMETHING I HAVEN'T SEEN IN YEARS!!!

IF ITS THAT HARD TO DRAW A COW TAG I GUESS I'LL NEVER GET THAT STINKY BULL PERMIT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat HOPEING ITS A VERY LONG TIME BEFORE I EVER SEE ANOTHER COW SHOOT ON THE SOUTH SLOPE!!!

I hear ya.

They've hammered the crap out of the elk around Heber pretty good the last few years. There's only a fraction of the amount of tags this year on most of the Wasatch subunits.

I remember when it was nothing to see several hundred head of elk up Daniels in the winter, now you may see 30-50 bulls and a handful of cows.

I'm not crying the blues about not drawing one, I just think it's kind of funny that it's as difficult to draw a cow tag in Utah as it is to draw premium buck and bull tags.

I usually just eat my antlerless tags anyways-must be the treehugger in me;) They're just a good excuse to spend some time in the woods.

I think we should offer more of them to the youth.

Prism, we hunt a low pressure unit here in N Utah thats mostly private but has some public land that people dont really hunt because you have to walk in. If you wanna put in with us, let me know. 100% success the last few times, seems we draw every other year.

It has been a long time since I drew my 1st choice cow tag but I most years draw my 2nd choice or one year my 3rd choice...seems like the CWMU are my 2nd or 3rd choices...

You have to work for a mapping company to figure out allthose Wasatch cow sub-units boundaries!! ha

I must have the luck, I have drawn 8 cow tags in 8 years, I have never been rejected on a cow hunt, it has been nice to have the meat each year, I am not saying this to rub it in in anyway, I think they give me a cow tag each year to justify why I never draw any other tag.

I just moved to Utah and could use some help picking an antlerless elk area. I appreciate any help...trying to figure it out a bit.

Please PM or email.

Thanks~!

Hey Bill, ya made the move !! Welcome to Utah! From your new digs you can go right up thru Heber and have some real good cow hunts.

Maybe one of them Wasatch cow unit guru's can give ya some sub-unit advice and you can pick one of them....

Might not hurt to double check the residency rules... if ya apply that way....

Moving sucks but I'm glad ya got it done!

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-06 AT 02:21PM (MST)[p]Thanks Robb...I love it here! No doubt I'll be into elk at some point.

I hiked up Olympus this a.m. and took some video footage.
-->this morning's hike

I've also had a chance to roam around a bit south of Heber off of 40. It's sure nice!

My family will arrive out here in a couple weeks...'til then, it's work, fish and explore around.

I used to pass on cow hunts but then wanted to taste elk meat again so I put in for a late season hunt. It was a blast, so I've put in for the last 4 years and drew 3 times. If you really want a cow tag, put in for the less popular draws.

I drew the cache rich cow tag, any one got any good info on that hunt? I would love to get some info on it and see about filling a tag for once. [email protected]

elk_img_01.gif

I guess I dont have any luck 0 for 6 on cow takes. Maybee with the new system I will draw in the next few years.

My sucsess on cow tags over the last ten years have been at around 50%. It seems like I draw every other year.

Mark

Thats pretty depressing Prism. I am 0 for 3 on cow tags and thought that was bad. I hope I dont have to wait 8 years for a freakin COW tag!
1shot1kill.

I truly think something is screwed up with the system. We put in and draw every year for a certain CWMU cow unit. We always draw or at least two of the three do. We never put in as a group either. This year not one of us drew and they increased the tags. The odds on are unit are 1 to 1.3. With odds like these and increased tags I can't believe that not one of us drew. WTF!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom