Utah General Elk Hunt Question

stanley

Very Active Member
I've been invited by an old friend of mine to join him and some buddies on their elk hunt this year. I don't know many details, other than they stay at a house/cabin in the Flaming Gorge area so I suppose we'd be hunting the NE region. So far as I know they don't have access to private land so it will be a public land hunt.

OK, so who has an opinion???? Are there some public land elk within reach of someone who's not afraid to hike and hunt hard? No horses or ATVs, just good ol' foot power... I'm curious as to what to expect, as I've only hunted elk here in AZ before (don't worry, I'm not expecting to compare it to my favorite hunting grounds here...).

Also, it looks like the general tags go on sale 'first come - first served' in mid-June. Can I expect them to run out really quickly?

Any words of wisdom or experiences would be apprecited.

S.

:)

You should be able to find some elk in that area, but you should shoot the first bull you see, and exspect alot of other hunters especialy on the weekends. and you shouldnt have a problem getting a tag.

MM Member since 1999. Jake H

Dito to what JakeH said. There are some elk in that area and I assume that you are taking about a rifle elk hunt? And you would have to do alot of foot power to get away from the hords of "hunters" on four-wheelers. I wouldn't wait too long before getting a tag...I know they sold out last year. I do see good elk taken out of that area every year so it can be done, but like was said before if you see a bull that you think you want to take you had better shoot it. Sorry to say it but I plan on taking the big bulls in that area during the archery hunt, but if he happens to get away..... Any way good luck.

Watch out for all the rattlesnakes in the area!!

Rut

Women love me!! Fish shudder at the mention of my name!!
It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

I appreciate the replys & info guys! Kind of confirmed what I expected, which is good. My expectations will be realistic, and I'm planning on enjoying the company of old friends as much as the actual 'hunting'. Should be a good time....

Dudley, I hope you stick a BIG ONE on your archery hunt! ;-)

Thanks!
S.

:)

I'm heading up to the NE with my son for the youth elk tag. I believe it's after the archery season. We want to hit the north slope side above flaming gorge...any input from anyone. Should be quiet after the bowhunters are done?????

We hunted last year's youth elk hunt there. It depends on the weather. We only got into the elk on the last couple of days of the hunt, when it was cold, the elk were bugling. When it heated up. It was pointless. Buy you a good pair of hiking boots and get you and your kid in shape for a good hike.

Expected that....could you send me a PM with inside info. I would appreciate it. Where ther crowds???? Hunted the area just north of the Wyoming border for deer & antelope a few years back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom