Utah LE Elk

sjhgraysage

Very Active Member
Which LE Elk units that have reasonable chance for seeing 350+ size bulls will have at least 3 non-resident permits for early any weapon season? My partner and I have 11 elk points so we will only likely draw from the random pool of tags. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-12 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]Sorry have to ask. 'Reasonable' means many things to different people. Most any of the units in late summer I think a guy has a reasonable chance (to me meaning in 3-5 days of scouting) of seeing a bull in the 350 class. Seeing them during the hunt and having a reasonable chance of seeing them IMO drops off significantly. IMO seeing and harvesting are 2 different things.

IMO there are only a couple of units that would fit the bill of 'reasonable' and 11 points drawing with 3 more more PP permits. A couple during the archery and the same ones during the late rifle but none for the early rifle hunt that I could see. IMO of course.

Todd Black

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

I think it would be best to apply seperate to begin with.

Plus the units with more tags offered certainly seem to have the most applicants....thus dropping the overall 'odds' to draw.

Maybe change weapon of choice to put you guys in the mix to draw?

Maybe change season choice also like maybe late date rifle verse early date rifle...

18 pts is max going into 2012 if my memory is correct so 11 pts is kinda middle of the pack type deal...

Robb

Todd,
I totally agree with your assement of "reasonable". We have been hunting a unit in WA that can and has produced 400 class bulls. I believe I have seen one in or near that class while scouting. However during the seasons that we have been able to hunt we have not seen but one we think would break 350, did not get him either. I guess what I was trying to find is a unit with enough permits in the non - res category that there would be (slim as it might be) a chance to draw 2 permits. And a unit where bulls of the 350 class "could" be expected and not be considered as "Wow Where Did He Come From" for the unit.
Robb,
Great ideas and we will discuss them again shortly. I personally am considering getting the muzzleloader out for more tuning. And if we thought we had the possibility of drawing a unit for the late hunt with the size of bulls that we want to hunt we would be interested. Broken bulls are a concern on the late hunts for us. As things are today I really consider Utah will be once in a lifetime for us as far as bull elk goes. My partners attitude is go big or go home.
Appreciate the feedback guys!
Thanks!

Good info so far sjh! If I can add my 2 cents, I would definately apply separate. You will have better odds of drawing. I would also seriously consider the muzzy hunts. Great hunts and generally during the rut. 11 points may be a little too shy for some of the more "trophy class" units but like Todd said, there are 350+ bulls in every unit. Finding them and then killing them is another story. Get the tag in your pocket and let the fun begin! Good luck.

It's always an adventure!!!

Update:
Well I applied as a single applicant and my choice was any weapon early Pahvant. Might as well shoot for the moon :D

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom