Utah Moose

wackandstack

My wife has 17 moose points going into 2012's draw. She wants to wait and just put in for a point but I think that she needs to put in and draw before all the moose are gone. I have not seen any good moose come out of Utah this year and don't know if it was a bad year or no one is talking. We will be putting in for the Wasatch unit since we live so close to it. My question is do I let her apply for the point or the tag? Is there any better units that she can kill a good bull? She wants to do it with a bow too. Thanks, for any help. Wackandstack

october 7th day i got married right before i walked out the door on my way to drive to the ceremony big moose standing in my hay field. ill try to put up pics... tell her to put in people are just being quiet they are out there. ( i live in the wasatch unit) ill try to get the pic up.

2475moose.png

Click on my email address next to my username and send the picture to me and I'll see if I can get it on the thread for you.

I spend about 2 months a year looking for moose in the state. Most of the units are hurt bad. It took 10 days in the ogden this year. Alot of little bulls, but utah traded and trans-ported over 120 moose in this unit alone. North slope was so-so.
Hard to find a big bull. Cache was junk, I know two people that ate tag stew. The other two guys I knew shot dink bulls. There are some good cwmu's but there good bulls are saved for paying folks. Shull crack has some good bulls, and desert the same. I am saveing my points for another year.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-11 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]FWIW, the guy who ended up with the Foley Ridge CWMU moose permit this year ate tag soup. Wish you could still get the names and contact information from the DWR for those who hunted CWMU's in previous years like you used to could.

The year I drew my moose tag it was still public information and the previous years hunters were a great help.

Ya. Great bull 7x8 maybe 40" wide. Single fronts, may be 140 to 145 at best. 3 to 4 year old. 7" wide palms. Utah had way to many moose tags and the quaity went down. They have cut them back, and maybe they will come back. 5 years ago I could find 10 bulls a day that would beat that bull. Now that is the bigest bulls you will find.

So what CWMU's should I start researching if that's the way to go? I rather do an open unit so that we can have family help with the scouting and the hunt. Thanks for all the help

Skull crack is a good tag. Desert is a good. Two bear is good. I would stay away from the little cwmu's, and I would call them befor you put in and talk to the operator. Get his info and all the spec. Like dates, how long hie will give you. Can you bring friends, and scout. If you dont kill on you dates will he let you come back. Stay away from hartsgrabble. Had a bad hunt on that one. You want to hunt the rut if possible, if not wait for the end, late as possibe.

I have watched the Utah moose situation close having 16 points
starting to burn a hole in my pocket!!
A couple of things, there are several CWMUs with 2 permits
available in 2012, meaning, 1 will go to the bonus draw..
Deseret is on of those units....

I spent a bunch of days last fall looking at SS Yellowstone
And Kamas...............Ruled out the South Slope unit..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

What kind of bull could be found on the Deseret? How are they to work with? If anyone has hunted it in the past I would like to know your experience. Thanks for the help.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-11 AT 04:18PM (MST)[p]So what do you consider a trophy class bull? Ive seen 2 bulls this year that were around 48-50" wide, but one was on the Cache and another was on the Wasatch unit just 2 weeks ago. I think theyre still around , but fewer and further between. I drew a Kamas tag this year and my bull was at 41", Not huge, and I saw another one that went about 46" ish, but had weak spoons. What would you consider a good bull for your wifes hunt?

Hey stevo,,,
Pretty sure that's the same "46 incher" I've seen..
Hes on my short list for sure....

But if I could have my pick of any bull moose tag in the
state this coming year...........It would be deseret!
But I'm a point or two short of that pool.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Width isn't everything lot of 40" + bulls that lack palms and brows. Years past seen some really good 40" bulls that have great palms and brows. Quality (width, palms, brows) really lacking these days in Ogden and Cache IMHO. Glad my tag was punched a few years ago. I would just buy pnts.

Steve

The other unit can can be real good is chalk creek. The good thing about that is there is plenty of private land that is not a cwmu. You can also hunt Whitney area. Some of my friends were in that unit later (muzzle elk) and saw 25 + bulls. And 1 or 2 that will be good this year.

My wifes mother had the wasatch tag two years ago and passed up a few great bulls early in the season and ended up killing a smaller bull. So my wife just wants to kill a nice bull that she can be proud to hang on the wall. So if its a cwmu that will get her this opertunity then that's what I will check into. Thanks for the help and if you have any more ideas then feel free to comment.

Im pretty sure its the same bull you have seen also. I passed on him several times because he just didnt have a palm on the one side. Huge 2 ft eye guards, but they werent double eyeguards. Big deep tines and alot of points, but just not much in the palm. Mabey next year he will be a shooter. Not sure how much that can change from year to year. He was definately the dominant and most agressive bull in that entire area tho.

>What kind of bull could be
>found on the Deseret? How
>are they to work with?
>If anyone has hunted it
>in the past I would
>like to know your experience.
>Thanks for the help.

If you draw DLL, you will have a great hunt. You get to stay in the lodge and eat the fantastic meals they provide. You will also have a gudie that knwos the area really well and can find bulls for you to look at. They will treat you good and you should be able to harvest a bull. The down side to DLL is that some years are great and some are crap. From what I hear, this year stunk pretty bad for moose.

The Skull Crack CWMU is by far the best CWMU for moose in the state, but you are going to need a bundle of points to draw it and the guides for the unit just quit this year. I'm not sure how they are going to run things now that Jesse and Whit are gone.

Thanks,
You might even be able to talk us into a little more help than that. I had a great time with my brother hiking and backpacking in the Wasatch. He had a few more places scouted with bulls that we didn't even make it to. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom