Utah Sheep Tags

crimedog

I have not yet started applying for sheep but I am thinking I will starting next year. My question is would you apply for a Desert Big Horn or Rocky Mt and Why?

Hunting any sheep is an exclusive hunting opportunity because plain and simple, it is real hard or real expensive to obtain a tag. Getting a Desert Bighorn tag is worth more (money wise), because just buying one (say in Mexico) could set you back 60K or more. It is hard to draw either of the Bighorns and if you are just starting out, your odds are pretty slim. So I would say if you just want a Bighorn of either type you have better odds at getting a Rocky. However, if you ever draw a Desert, you are one lucky fellow and you have saved you some serious money. If you just want a sheep, save your dough and go buy a Dall sheep (10-15K).
Where are you thinking of putting in? That could make a big difference as well!

Also, the cost to apply in 2008 will rise dramatically. It looks like it will be around $60 for a small game hunting license (you must have some type of hunting license to apply), and around $10 for the application fee.

I would be applying in Utah. I am a resident, and I am not overly concerned about the small game liscence as I always buy a combo for fishing and bird hunting. I was looking at the proclimation and in Utah it seemed like more Desert Bighorn tags are given and drawn.

Another Option - Pray the CA Bighorn do well in Utah and that they set up a seperate hunt (someday). Then make sure you are at the top of the pool.

If you want a sheep tag why the hell are you not putting in this year? Its pretty hard to draw with out an app. in.

Alas I hadn't thought about it, because of how hard the odds are, and my apps are already in. So I thought I would start doing some research on the different areas, and on the animals and then start applying next year.

Well lets see. By NOT applying this year and WAITING untill next,you can go Sheep Huntin when you are 88 instead of when you are 87? Good Luck dont wait!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom