Utah Tag Numbers

I can not believe they would give out 20 cow moose tags. Has there not been studies done lately trying to figure out why we are having such a decline in moose numbers. There should not be a cow moose hunt period as far as our population stands right now.

Looking at the maps for the areas they want to have cow moose hunts on it seems reasonable to me to have the hunts. They are close to urban areas and paved roads. These areas have all had moose in town, on roads and road killed. My opinion is might as well let a couple lucky hunters take a few.

We recommend increasing bison permits on the Book Cliffs from 16 to 27 and increasing permits on
the Henry Mtns from 57 to 62

That'll be a Big Hit on the Herd in the Book Cliffs!

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

Elkass, the Book Cluffs increase will be a huge hit for me if it results in a hit on my credit card in May!

Looks like they are also trying to decimate the elk herd on the Beaver unit with around 900 cow tags ridiculous

>Looks like they are also trying
>to decimate the elk herd
>on the Beaver unit with
>around 900 cow tags ridiculous
>

Panguitch lake as well with 725

>If there are 3 NR tags,
>do 2 go to points
>and then 1 random, or
>vice versa.
>
>Rich
1 to high points, 2 to random.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

If I had this to read a few weeks ago ? I may have changed a few things. :). I do like a couple more Bison tags on the Henry's. That may help me out to start a OIL points for sheep.

Can someone enlighten me. Only looking at unit I put in for. NR Manti early. If you look at draw odds for last year, it shows 14 tags. This new info says they gave 16. Seems one of them is false info. 2 tags is a big deal, especially sitting on 15 points. Any help? Am I missing something?

It might be worse year ever for Wasatch elk!
I don't believe there is ANY chance for a elk recovery process to begin this year.

804 public LE any bull draw permits,.
Plus conservation , landowner, and CWMU tags puts this number closer to 900 big bull tags.
AND spike only hunting from August to November.

Cow permits on the Wasatch? WOW!
6,450 PL cow permits.! ( were most Wasatch elk reside these days )
With hunting dates on these permits from August 1st thru Jan. 31st 2017.

1,160 LE antlerless public land cow permits .....

Look at Currant Creek alone, 3,850 cow permits still!-------CRAZY IMO..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I think littlebighorn is correct. The "draw odds" are only for those tags in the general draw. Those other 2 tags could have been at the expo, convention tags, etc. This report, as far as I know, incorporates all tags issued, not just tags drawn.

Are we "privatizing" ~12,000 cow elk tags in this proposal? They won't be available in the draw, but can be purchased over the counter? Seems like a major step toward landowner tags. It has to have an effect on neighboring public land herds.

Bill

The private land tags are an attempt to put pressure on elk to move them off of private land and onto public land. The elk have learned that certain areas on the Wasatch are safer from "predators". We will see if this works.

Private land tags could still be available through the draw. I don't have a problem with putting pressure on elk that have taken sanctuary on private land, I do have a problem if these tags are the first step toward landowner tags. (Tags given directly to landowners to sell / profit from, etc.)

We all know that certain landowners still won't allow hunting, so only some locations will see pressure on the herds. If too many hunters hit one property, it will have a negative effect on the surrounding public land herd.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom