Utah's Department of Natural Resources to combine law enforcement agencies

Looks like they're taking State Parks, Wildlife Resources, Outdoor Recreation and Forestry, Fire & State Lands and combining those into the DNR Law Enforcement.

In response to the original question... I think it looks like a "yes", DWR looks to be migrating their Law Enforcement over to DNR.

Just to be clear, DNR is the umbrella agency for all these divisions already.

So they are all currently DNR employees anyway, just working for different divisions of the Department of Natural Resources.

I think worries about this are much ado about nothing.

Just to be clear, DNR is the umbrella agency for all these divisions already.

So they are all currently DNR employees anyway, just working for different divisions of the Department of Natural Resources.

I think worries about this are much ado about nothing.

No real worries, just saw it, and as usual professional journalists suck at their job, so it answered zero questions.

I'd prefer the DWR be a wildlife agency, and the LEO be a different agency.

The current and past WLH would come out differently, if that was the case.

Not saying you are wishing for this to happen but!
Be careful for what you wish for!
Do we really need another alphabet law enforcement agency!

In a perfect world, the DWR would have to LEO. They'd be a wildlife agency only.

Guys complain about deer counts. Perhaps if the biologists were out counting vs checking fishing licenses or backing up DUI calls that would improve?

That's my initial thought anyway

In a perfect world, the DWR would have to LEO. They'd be a wildlife agency only.

Guys complain about deer counts. Perhaps if the biologists were out counting vs checking fishing licenses or backing up DUI calls that would improve?

That's my initial thought anyway

That isn’t what is happening right now. Biologists are not the LEO arm of the DWR.

That isn’t what is happening right now. Biologists are not the LEO arm of the DWR.

But, and again I could be wrong, the LEO arm of DWR is financed by licenses/Pittman, correct?

How much more stays with DWR if the "cops" aren't part of it?

Like notdon pointed out. There's already park rangers at the parks, let them check licenses. Seems redundant to have 2 people doing what 1 could.

Try checking what the DWR portion of the DNR budget is.
While the DWR is funded in the most part by sportsmen the DNR has a whole lot of general funds incorporated into their budget.

But, and again I could be wrong, the LEO arm of DWR is financed by licenses/Pittman, correct?

How much more stays with DWR if the "cops" aren't part of it?

Like notdon pointed out. There's already park rangers at the parks, let them check licenses. Seems redundant to have 2 people doing what 1 could.

I don't know the answer to the questions you posed above, but I know continuing to confuse the biologists and the LEOs in the DWR isn't going to answer them either.

Lots of details to be worked out here, but again, I just think this is a giant nothingburger for Utah sportsmen. It's changing a flow chart and the color of uniforms. That's how I'm viewing it until I have a reason to view it otherwise.

I don't know the answer to the questions you posed above, but I know continuing to confuse the biologists and the LEOs in the DWR isn't going to answer them either.

Lots of details to be worked out here, but again, I just think this is a giant nothingburger for Utah sportsmen. It's changing a flow chart and the color of uniforms. That's how I'm viewing it until I have a reason to view it otherwise.

?

You know it seems like the news media might answer questions if they are going to go the the trouble of posting a story?

News media do full and thorough inquiries?

Nah. They’re just here to tell us what we should think about political candidates.

A Nothingburger? Maybe, but maybe not. There are ALWAYS unintended consequences when decisions like this are made in house. As I've said many times on this site, "When you change the rules of the game, you change the way it is played". A little story of my deer hunting in California should illustrate one of my concerns.

At the time (about 1967) I was living in Oxnard and had one of 5 over-the-counter archery tags for LA County. The hunt was very unpopular because it wasn't well accepted by the general public. I hunted just across the county line in Malibu (Yes, Malibu) off the Pacific Coast Highway. I shot a doe (bucks were rare), field dressed her and lowered her off the small cliff with a rope, then climbed down myself and loaded her in the trunk while cars were whizzing by, some honking their horns. At the time (and maybe still now) you had to validate the kill by getting a signature from a public official (State, County or City) who was supposed to see your license, your ID, your weapon, and the deer. So, I drove to Leo Carillo State Beach up the road and when I got there, there were two concerned citizens reporting a poached deer (mine) being loaded into an illegally parked vehicle (mine) and the park ranger was writing this down while the good citizens were yelling and pointing to my car. I calmly got out and when I could get a word in edgewise, I told the ranger I was there just to get his signature. When he asked why, I knew this was going to be a problem. He dismissed the good citizens and asked for my ID and then asked why I needed his signature, Luckily, I had my big game hunting booklet with me so that he could see the law. But he decided to make a phone call or two to see if my request was for real and to get instructions on what he was to do. That took about 10 minutes and with a couple of "Yes sirs", he then proceeded to ask me about the hunt, my license, and my bow, the season, where the doe was when I shot her, did she run over the county line, who owned the property, did I have permission the hunt there (I did.), was my car illegally parked (It was not). Well, another 10 minutes and he finally did his job, but he was not a happy camper having to do it. So there went 25 minutes teaching him a part of his job his superiors forgot to teach him.

Now, will this exact same thing happen here? Probably not, but government agencies tend not to talk to each other and there will likely be lots of questions hunters will have that will be addressed with more red tape than we like.

And over and above all the red tape is the question of who is actually working for who and who is paying for government workers salaries? In most government cases, the parties involved have to backwards. This year I was audited by the IRS for 2022 taxes AND the Utah State tax commission for 2020 taxes and in both cases the agents assigned to the audits could not tell me exactly where I went wrong. I could have disputed the amounts owed, but it would have cost me more to do that than to just pay the amounts. So, I paid the amounts.

A Nothing Burger? I'll believe it when I see it!

I agree, it’s always good to assume everything that everyone around you is doing is just for the purpose of screwing you because some hippies in about 1967 California caused you to wait a little longer than you’d hoped.

Totally rational and very logical, no doubt!

I agree, it’s always good to assume everything that everyone around you is doing is just for the purpose of screwing you because some hippies in about 1967 California caused you to wait a little longer than you’d hoped.

True.

But his last paragraph is my only thought as well.

We are beholden to the special interest lobby $fw already. If Dwr Leo get brought in, how long until we are auctioning off tags to fund the force.

No I don't think DNR is speaking to screw anyone. Yes, I think there is a lobbyist in Bountiful who is always on the search to do just that.

Plus, after you've been audited, you learn to hate IRS even more, especially when their agents don't know their own rules. Yes, that's PTSD talking?

My, aren't you clever with the hippie, everything, everyone around you response!

The only thing I assume is that the government employee is there to help me and knows their job well enough to pleasantly and quickly resolve the issue or problem. I got neither from the Park Ranger nor from the other two agents who transferred my call to two different agents in one case or to three different agents in the other before I even got any help which turned out to be incomplete. I finally had to redo both taxes to find the mistakes (one was mine and the other was theirs), but , in any case, i complied with their instructions just to get it over with.

As for the time it took, I guess they (like you and my doctors)) think their time is more valuable than mine.

Bottomline, the government agencies aren't noted for their effiiency. Could this move be any different? We'll see soon enough.

We'll see soon enough.

Not really. The transition won’t be complete until 2028. So not soon at all!

I honestly don’t know why this became a big deal to you. It baffles me, actually. I can’t see any circumstance why this would matter to people. But that’s okay. Lots of things confuse me in today’s world.

Best of luck on the hunts EFA! And sorry you got audited.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom