Utah's New Tags Tempting........

NEW 'P' PLAN FOR ww!!!

ALRIGHT!!!

I'M WILLING TO GIVE JUST A LITTLE!!!

JUST FOR ww!!!

I SAY WE GIVE 2 MANAGEMENT BULL TAGS OUT IN EACH L.E. UNIT!!!

THE BULL MUST BE A 3 x 3!!!

NOTHING LESS!!!

NOTHING MORE!!!

AND ww!!!

IF YOU GET A 3 X 3 THAT SCORES 380"+ MORE POWER TO YA!!!

BUT THERE WILL BE NONE OF THIS 3 X 12 CRAP!!!

THE ONLY bobcat HOPEING IT PASSES & YOU GET YOUR PERMIT ww!!!

Yep some real serious thought. The only person that I've heard of that wanted an "Archery Management Hunt" is one of the Wildlife Board members. The Southeastern RAC voted against it. The San Juan Elk committee just finished the first draft of the new management plan for the San Juan and addressed both a management hunt and a spike hunt, but one board member pushed his own agenda and what happens. The RAC and the public process is a sham.

RE: JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST!!!

>NOW THEY'RE AFRAID SOME OF THESE
>YOUNGER BULLS MIGHT BECOME TROPHY
>CLASS & THERES ALWAYS A
>CHANCE OF ONE OF THEM
>DIEING OF OLD AGE,WTF???

Dieing of old age... some local kid just killed a cow elk that was tagged with a request to report the date and location of the kill as well as the tag number. The DWR responded that the cow was one of the original transplanted to the San Juan 18 years ago. Do the cows have a longer life span then the bulls? I can sleep well at night knowing that there are bulls dying of old age. I hope to live long enough to die of old age.

drydirt!!!

HOW ARE YOU RELATED TO LYLE???

THE ONLY bobcat ALSO HOPEING A FEW OF US CAN LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO DIE OF OLD AGE BUT I'VE GOT A FEW OPPORTUNISTS THAT WOULD PROBABLY SHOOT ME AS A PISSCUTTER IF THEY COULD!!!

>This hunt is targeting a select
>few animals. After they
>are killed I see it
>being another hunt for smaller
>bulls. These herds are
>not going to be able
>to support over 100 bulls
>to 100 cows without a
>crash of the herds.
>I understand you guy's not
>wanting more pressure on the
>units, but if we don't
>listen to the biologists, we
>could lose these herds/bulls.
>Calf production will soon slow
>and the herds will be
>in a downward cycle.
>I am no biologist but
>I have to believe them.
> They have the knowledge
>that most of us don't.
> Besides, it won't be
>that many tags. I
>am disappointed if they did
>in fact allow them to
>keep their points and no
>waiting period. That is
>bull.

Lets just focus on the San Juan. The count in 2005 - which the DWR claimed had great conditions to count - indicated 65/100 bull cow ratio. Yet the Elk Advisory Committee was told - during both of the sessions - that the bull to cow on the San Juan was over 100 bulls to 100 cows.

During the 2006 RAC when the tag numbers were set, some local sportmen proposed a spike hunt on the San Juan. The biologists stated that the San Juan didn't need a spike hunt because the bull to cow was where it needed to be. They've also stated that to maintain a 6/7 year old age class for the San Juan it would require at least 60 bulls per 100 cows. Now they're proposing a management hunt?

The DWR also hosted a committe to redo the elk management plan for the San Juan - all the players were at the table. The cattlemen questioned the count that the DWR did in 2005. The DWR assured them that the count was very effective. The DWR Biologist stood up in the last RAC and stated that the count was not effective and "estimated" that there were more bulls on the San Juan and a management hunt was need. The local biologist disagrees and believes that the bull/cow and herd objective are where they need to be. His recommendation.. NO MANAGEMENT HUNT NOR SPIKE FOR 2007.

Just more DWR and Wildlife Board BS.

> Lighten up, it is
>only a few tags and
>won't impact your bulls, and
>sure as heck will not
>turn Utah into Colorado!

Only a few tags. The proposal on the San Juan is was for 20 additional tags. This proposal is before any 2006 harvest information is available. And none of the havest information from the "Management Hunt" will be added in with the rest of harvest information.

drydirt!!!

I SENT YOU AN E-MAIL!!!

THE ONLY bobcat GLAD TO KNOW THERE ARE ELK THAT OLD,NOW WHAT DO YOU OPPORTUNISTS THINK,THE ELK IN SOME OF THESE L.E. UNITS MAY NOT BE OLD ENOUGH TO DIE LIKE YOU'RE CLAIMING!!!

RE: NEW 'P' PLAN FOR ww!!!

Wow! After reading the comments by everyone, it seems to me BEFORE any management tags are issued someone needs to decide if the ratios are 100-100 or 60-100. That is not a small margin of error.

BESS I got no problem waiting my turn
in fact my turn will come in about another 20 years.

Seriously if I did burn any little eyes with some of my comments I sincerly apologize.

The whole thing that stirs me up is the fact that we have units full of HUGE BULLS. Unlike the guy that spent 70grand
and passed on a 400 bull, I would like to believe that most hunters would have the same opinion as Ty, me and most other hunters which is to kill the bull that makes them happy. If the bull is a pig of a 5x5 that scores 355 get r done. If like in Ty's case it was a 350+ bull like he killed get r done.

My whole point is that hunters have jumped through the hoops required by the conservation groups that make a load of cash off of big elk. we have a bigger pie, we have plenty of elk
on every freaking unit, why do we have to be so dang tight with
the tags when it is obvious the resource will allow more harvest??

I am not saying to put out 400 tags on every unit but c'mon now we are at the point where we can take a FEW MORE elk without hurting squat.

On another note concerning mule deer, the SFW President had a fantastic idea to start a mule deer committee to try and get some issues ironed out, The DWR is OK with the group getting to work BUT WON'T LET ANY MAJOR CHANGES HAPPEN UNTILL THE
CURRENT PLAN RUNS IT'S COURSE. So for the next two years we will be under the same mule deer plan. The idea of going to smaller management units came up ( not 28 like was proposed but a happy medium between the 5 we currently have now and the higher numbers proposed a few years ago )

As much greif as I like to give BESS I actually consider him to be a really good man. HE GIVES A RAT'S A$$ WHAT IS GOING ON! He'll speak his mind and even though we don't agree on him wanting every bull for himself we always have in mind what is best for the resource.

THE ONLY ww THAT AIN'T GOT NOTHING AGAINST BESS PERSONALLY
BUT WANTS TO KNOW HOW MANY MORE HOOPS WE HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH BEFORE WE START LETTING HUNTERS HUNT ELK???

As long as these elk are the gravy train of these conservation groups, the waiting will continue. Right now the permits draw the top dollar. It cut's their bottom line if any quality drops at all. It is too bad too because if they would reduce Conservation permit numbers they just might get more money. Unfortunalty we must continue to kick scratch and claw for even just a few more permits. O well, We will keep trying!

WELL wiley!!!

I'D RATHER WAIT MY TURN & KNOW FOR A FACT THERES A CHANCE AT A 350" BULL THAN OVER HUNT THE UNITS & WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY 350" BULLS LEFT!!!

ITS A LONG WAIT I KNOW!!!

ASK ktc IF HE WAITED!!!

ASK HIM IF IT WAS WORTH HIS WAIT???

I THINK WE ALREADY KNOW HIS ANSWERS!!!

A FEW QUESTIONS ww!!!

HAVE YOU BEEN HUNTING THE GENERAL ELK HUNT???

HOW MUCH TIME HAVE YOU SPENT IN WHICH L.E. ELK UNITS???

YA SEE,IF YOU'VE HUNTED THE GENERAL OPEN BULL I'M SURE YOU CAN SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO???

HAVE YOU NOTICED ww???

THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL HUNTS ADDED!!!

THERE HAVE BEEN MORE TAGS ISSUED!!!

THE AGE CLASS WAS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING LOWERED!!!

TO ISSUE MORE TAGS OF COURSE!!!

WELL DON PEAY & I DON'T KNOW WHO ELSE HELPED GET SOME OF THE AGE CLASS BACK UP SOME,THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED!!!

I SPEND QUITE A BIT OF TIME IN A COUPLE OF THE L.E. UNITS!!!

I'M HERE TO TELL YOU THERE IS QUITE A BIT OF PEOPLE PRESSURE IN THESE UNITS!!!

THE UNITS WILL NOT WITHSTAND ISSUEING A WHOLE BUNCH MORE PERMITS!!!

I WAS IN AN L.E. UNIT THIS YEAR DURING ARCHERY & RIFLE AND I CAN TELL YOU THERE WAS ALOT OF PEOPLE PUSHING GAME AROUND!!!

NOT ALL OF THEM WERE HUNTING BUT I'M HERE TO TELL YOU THERE WAS ENOUGH PEOPLE IN THE UNITS,GUARANTEED!!!

AND I DON'T WANT EVERY BULL FOR MYSELF!!!

YA SEE ww!!!

IN MY LIFE I'VE SEEN ALOT OF THINGS CHANGE!!!

I REMEMBER WHEN THE DEER HUNTING IN UTAH WAS BETTER THAN THE ELK HUNTING IS NOW!!!

I WASN'T OLD ENOUGH TO HUNT THEM BUT I DO REMEMBER!!!

WHAT ABOUT THE DEER HUNTING NOW ww???

I'D SURE HATE TO SEE THE ELK HERDS TAKE THE SAME HIT!!!

REMEMBER:HERDS CAN BE DECIMATED A HELL OF ALOT QUICKER THAN THEY CAN REBOUND!!!

YOU CAN HUNT ELK EVERY YEAR IN THIS STATE ww,DID YOU KNOW THAT???

IT AIN'T THE WALK IN THE PARK YOU'RE LOOKING FOR BUT YOU CAN DO IT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THAT CONSIDERS wileywapati A FRIEND BUT DAMN LETS BE CAREFUL WITH THESE L.E. UNITS!!!

mrs. ktc has been waiting a long time! It is her turn now fellars!

Waiting and having a world class hunt on the horizon is pretty damn fun, but having the weight lifted from your shoulders with a very respectable bull at the taxidermist's, soon to be on the wall, is pretty relaxing and satisfying.

I would not give one more thought to planning a Utah LE hunt if mrs. ktc was not so close. Utah elk is getting in the way of some great deer, antelope, moose, and Oryx hunts!

Lets not forget tags have increased 3 fold and are 100" bigger? So we are getting there.

I hate to bow out, but this is bessy's fight now! Ha! I hope you all draw soon, it is lots of fun. I hope the elusive 400 still roams the hills to add to the excitement. If you are like me, 400 is nice, but getting a chance at 350+ and low pressure is what makes the hunts. To toss score out, just work to get the tag, then YOU pick what will look nice on the wall. 400 does get used too much and is only a number. Very few true 400 bulls get killed, but I tip my hat to those DIY guys who get it done.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom