Valle Vidal Fishing / Bear Tag

Iowan

A couple last minute questions before my brother's 9-1 to 9-15 archery elk hunt on the Valle Vidal:

What would be a good setup (not a fly fisherman) to try to kill some time trout fishing (line weight and lure mostly)? Since I do not have a tag myself I may have some time to kill.

Should we pick up a bear tag or is it unlikely to have an opportunity?

Is there any small game (grouse)that I can hunt that time of the year if I do not hold an elk tag?

Will the camp grounds be full over the Labor Day Weekend?

I suspect we will be pretty busy trying to arrow an elk but I was just curious what other options may exist.

Thanks.

It's all catch an release. You can probably use light weight tackle with a single barbless hook. I don't think it will be much fun the creak is tiny. Surre ponds last year were empty. Big bears if you run into one. Only the licensed elk hunter can hunt bear with a tag. I'm not exactly sure but I don't think anyone can hunt small game.

The small streams are a blast. Use a hopper pattern and you will have strike after strike on the Costilla for cuts. Go with a brown hopper pattern and you will have a great time. They are little fish, but you will not believe how fast they are. Really hard to set the hook, but that is half the fun. The same hopper pattern will work great in the lake, but the fishing will be a lot slower although they are a lot bigger fish. Try the Costilla and you will not be disappointed. You don't have to go ultra light either like you do on the San Juan.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom