Valles Caldera to Park Service

NMhunter4life

I hear that the VC is going to be transferred to the Park Service. It is happening through a back door deal that was attached to the Defense Authorization Bill and apparently just passed the House and is on to the Senate for their vote. This could spell the end to hunting on the VC. With the National Park Services record I do not trust them to continue to allow hunting.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...cle_30f8d5fc-10ce-57b2-9591-179aa41f5b0b.html

I agree and we heard about our Liberal Green slime ball NM Senators Udall and Heinrich's end run to attach this to another bill when they couldn't get is passed through the normal legislative process.

Many of us contacted Alaskan Senator Murkowski today to get her alerted to the fact that most major Sportsmen groups (SCI, RMEF & etc.) and fellow sportsmen oppose making the Valles Caldra a Nation Park. Our liberal green so called sportsman group, the NMWF is pushing hard and supporting this move which many of us think is a big mistake.

Yep, end run for sure. Looks like they yaked about the Columbine/Hondo Wild. as a good thing and swept the Caldera/NPS deal in without disscussion.
Funny thing is in the original MOU Caldera deal with the trust,if they could not start breaking even or generate some $ it was to be turned over to USDA-FS.
It was considered the best option and the surrounding existing Fed. entity to run it under their Preserve Program.
Never ANY mention of NPS,BLM,or the State taking it over.
Looks like I better buy a last ticket this year and hope, as elk hunting will be stopped.Same with fishing in long run.
GONE. Period!
Birder walks and eco-tours coming soon,all funded by NM and US sportsmen.
That's SOP with NPS.

>?...........Our
>liberal green so called sportsman
>group, the NMWF is pushing
>hard and supporting this move
>which many of us think
>is a big mistake.

Yet somehow hunters continue to support NMWF. I would join PETA before joining NMWF. At least you know where they stand.

Long term I think this is bad. I dont see hunting going away in the short term, but, as anti hunters continue to pressure Feds it will start with stuff like no lead bullets, other uses taking priority over hunting etc.

NMWF will find a way to spin this for the good of all hunters.
Now they will have a place to put those wolves they want.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Sad deal for sure. Dang sure isn't gonna make anything better. When has federal government made anything better.

It would be nice to see a list of groups for and against this. Going back door by attaching it to another bill is a weener's play, knowing full well it wouldn't pass on its own.

The New Mexico Council of Outfitters and Guides was in staunch opposition to the legislation from the very first time it was introduced to Congress by Senator Heinrich. NMCOG along with SCI and a number of other national members of the American Wildlife Conservation Partners lobbied steadily against the bill from the beginning, until it was added to the public lands package, and through the time it was approved under the National Defense Appropriation Act. Additional follow-up measures are currently in the works and will continue to be fought for until the NPS physically takes over operations. If you feel strongly about this legislation or similar issues please support the New Mexico Council of Outfitters and Guides by becoming a sportsman member for $25/year. Visit our website www.nmoutfitters.com for more information regarding how NMCOG advocates for the hunting industry.

Saw a news clip on local tv about how excited they are about the transfer to NPS...with a small mention of how the NPS currently has $11 BILLION in unfunded deferred maintenance costs at the parks they have now.

Just saw in local news how happy some folks are about it and hunting could remain......and mentions in passing at the end how NPS has $11 BIL in currant unfunded deferred maintenance costs......before they added 7 more with this so-called de fence bill.

I wonder how tags (assuming they continue the hunts) will be distributed? Old lotto system, current lotto system or public draw? Since it's a NP funded by Federal $, will the NR limitation still apply?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom