Valles Caldera

whitlow33

Has anyone heard about how the elk hunts have gone thus far on the Caldera?

I have the first rifle hunt in October and the time can't pass fast enough!

Haven't heard how the hunts are so far. But, I'll pass along this map of the Thompson Ridge fire severity from earlier this summer. I'm not sure you could ask for a better "habitat" type fire. Lots of ground fire with pockets of high and moderate severity fire. Good luck on your hunt!

ThompsonRidgeFire_zpsa552c091.jpg
[/URL]

1st archery hunt ends this evening. Sounds like 8 bulls have been killed. The biggest is 358 from what I understand. Several bigger bulls have been seen but not taken. The bigger bulls are with cows and I heard there was bugling all day today off and on. I can't wait either, I drew the second archery hunt! The rain the rest of the week will cool things down and hopefully fire the bulls up even more! Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks for the fire info.

That's encouraging info on the hunts thus far. Good luck on your hunt! Let me know how it turns out.

I have heard several 310"-330" bulls taken. Also heard of a bull that will push 390" with two more that are pushing 350"-360" mark. Wish I had a tag.

Heard 10 bulls were taking out as of yesterday morning and 4hunters were still hunting evening... Heard there is a big bull(390") by the entrance of VC.
This weather should have the bulls talking alot!
Good luck to all tag holders throughout the season at the VC!

I went to the Caldera last Saturday to participate in the Ranch Road Ramble, which allowed me to drive around the Caldera. I saw a couple bulls but it was too late in the day to see many elk. Man they were bugling like crazy though all day long.

I can't wait for my hunt in a couple weeks.

>Roads must be in decent shape?
>

They were in decent shape. They had one section closed off because they were still bad. You could see where they had been fixing a lot of washed out areas.

>LOL Paul Weak 5th and 6ths......GOOD
>LUCK to your Better Half
>on the Muzzy Hunt
>Jack

I cant see his 5ths and 6ths, but, even if they were weak he is a slammer bull.

An interesting question came up today. If there is a federal shutdown will the hunts be cancelled or postponed on the Valles Caldera?

Does anyone know?

Don't know for sure, but I would guess it would be considered an "essential function" and stay open. Since hunting is vital to the VC business plan-- I don't see them disrupting planned hunts. But the GOV has a way of defying common sense...

It would stay open and the Game and Fish would manage the hunts as usual

J-
PS.. I was wondering about this too so I asked..

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom