value of S&W model 66?

bigcreekmetal

My dad is getting rid of a S&W .357 blued k frame 6" barrel model 66 highway patrolman in very good condition. Im going to buy it from him and was wondering if anyone knew a ball park value for that gun? Ive seen anywhere from $300 to $600 on the internet but thought Id get your guys opinion.

Thank you kindly,

Josh

I believe you have your models mixed up and one reason you are having a tough time getting a ball park figure.

First off it is not a model 66 if it has a blued finish. The model 66 is stainless steel. The "6" prefix in S&W handguns is for stainless steel guns.

If in fact it is a "highway Patrolman", it is a model 28 that came in blue finish and both 4" & 6" barrels. They quit making that model in the late 80's.

Try searching under model 28 S&W and you should find a ball park figure. Too bad it was not the model#27, which was the dressed up version of that gun and worth about $ 100.00 more then the #28 Also I believe the model 28 was on the "N" frame and not "K" frame. If it is a "K" frame gun, you may have a model 19. If it does have stameped on the barrel, "Highway Patrolman" it is a model #28 N frame 357 mag.

RELH

What he said, if it is a highway patrolman its a 28 N frame...mine has a 4" bbl, I paid 50 bucks for it...Not sure what they are worth.

Reddog, Those Model 28s are great base guns to convert to .44 special. Will take hot 44 spec. loads such as a Keith 250 gr. cast SWC up to 1200 FPS like the Ruger flattop 44 spec. will.

RELH

That definitely rates a thunk, thanks for the info...44's on a 357 size frame do have appeal.

After reading this I pulled my S&W .38 out of the safe. It's a 14-4 6" barrel. What's your opinion on this one. I don't know much about it, I bought it years ago at an estate sale. It's fun to shoot.

Your model 14 was also known as the "K-38 Masterpiece". It was a favorite target pistol in the 60's & 70's for PPC shooters. Had a rep for outstanding accuracy with target loads such as wadcutters. In excellant condition it should still be worth 300-400 bucks.

RELH

Thanks RELH. I've got several hundred rounds of +P 125 gr. JHPs, that I'm trying to put a dent in. You're right it's a sweet shooter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom