VariFlame Primer Adapter

VTelkchaser

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-11 AT 05:54PM (MST)[p]I have unbelievably bad crud ring going on with my CVA Apex. It is so bad I can not seat a second charge the same depth as the first. I have read about the .25 acp breech plug conversion but I do not have a Pro Hunter.

Then I found this VariFlame adapter. The theory behind this product makes sense just wondering if anyone out there has any real world application with this?

Below is a link:

http://www.blackpowderbullets.com/variflame primer adapter.html

I've been using them with my TC Pro Hunter for years. I can't recommend them enough. Keeps the breech plug much cleaner than reg primers and my groups are MUCH tighter. originally I did have a fit issue with TC breech plug, (about 1/4 of them wouldnt fit right and the gun wouldnt lock closed) but the guys at VariFlame had me send them the plug and actually made a slight mod to have them fit nicely. Don't know if this was just an issue with the TC plugs but either way they went above and beyond to fix it.

What kind of powder are you using??
Triple 7 loose give a crud ring because you are pushing the powder down into the breach area each time you reload or push a cleaning swab down the barrel. I found that the conventional wisdom and use of water is the problem and for what ever reason you should use Alcohol to wipe between shots. the use of low power primers helps but does not correct the problem. Other than being able to use lower cost small pistol primers in the Vari flame I have not found any real advantage.
Switch to Black Horn and the crud ring goes away.

Im using 777 pellets and only being able to get one load in the gun without cleaning does not work well in a field environment. We hunt Ohio every winter and there are many days where you shoot more than once during the days hunt. If I can't group three shots without cleaning the gun is worthless to me. I will go back to my Knight. Black horn is not an option either as it is not legal in Utah and I want one solution to hunt both states.

Got out and used these Variflame primers today. I am more than happy to report my crud ring issue is thing of the past!!!! These things are incredibly dirty! but there is no crud ring what so ever to deal with! I had four loads seat the bullets exactly the same without cleaning where I previously couldn't get the second load to seat using the 209 primers. I am now back to using 3 50 grain Triple Seven pellets but I had to go to a 300 grain bullet as I could not get the 250 grain bullets to group. I need to get my hands on some 290 grain Barns. I am getting sub one inch groups at 100 yards with the 300 grain shock waves but have not been impressed with the way the bullets performs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom