velocity question

NVMDF

Im thinking of purchasing another 25-06, wondering how much velocity would be gained by having a 26" over a 24" inch pipe? I shoot nothing but Sierra 87 gr. varmiteers on top of 52 grns of reloader 19. If I remember the are coming out at 3350 fps and are mean on deer and coyotes.

thanks,

NVMDF

Shon,
RELH should come on here later tonight and if he sees this he will answer your question. He is the one who talked me into buying a Savage 25.06 and shoot 117gr Sierra Game King rounds (Factory loads).

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

The 25-06 needs a 26" barrel to really maximize the potential of the round. A true deer killer is a 110gr accubond. You would probably see a velocity gain of 100 fps or so with from the 24".

NVMDF, You just got to love a good shooting 25-06. I think everybody should have one. Of the 50-60 bucks i killed with that cartridge, about half were taken with soft point type bullets of less than 100 grains and you are correct, most of the time it is devastating.

I did have minor problems a couple times when i impacted bone right away and didn't get much penetration. Along with a serious entry hole and much local damage, there was bloodshot and bubbles all the way down to the hind quarters, back to belly. The bucks really weren't going anywhere after being hit but they took an additional shot to put them away. I found that though i had quite a bit less velocity with the heavier bullets, i had cleaner kills, especially on good muley bucks at farther ranges.

I too believe Nosler is on to something really good with their Accubond 110 grainer. I'm not in possession of a 25-06 at this time or that's what i'd be working up a load with.

Why not split the difference and go 25"? Either or any ol way you decide to go, Good luck with your project!!

Joey

How much velocity you gain with a 26" will depend some on what powder and what bullet you're shooting. You could probably figure about 40 FPS, we once shot 26" and 24" 270 WCF rifles with the same loads over my Ohler and that's what it averaged.

I'd stick with game bullets of 100 gr or more for game, anything a varmint bullet can do they will do better.

>How much velocity you gain with
>a 26" will depend some
>on what powder and what
>bullet you're shooting. You could
>probably figure about 40 FPS,
>we once shot 26" and
>24" 270 WCF
>rifles with the same loads
>over my Ohler and that's
>what it averaged.
>
>I'd stick with game bullets of
>100 gr or more for
>game, anything a varmint bullet
>can do they will do
>better.

That's been my experience also. IMHO, if you reload then its not really a factor. The choice of barrel length is more a factor of how the rifle will be used. For example, I used a .270 with a 22" barrel in close cover and hunted from horses. My buddy's magnum was much more troublesome in the thick cover and getting it out of a scabbard in a hurry.

Your gain on a 24" barrel will be about 50 FPS on the average by going to a 26" barrel. If your rifle is going to be used in fairly open country, no problem with the longer tube. If you plan to hunt heavy woods or brushy areas, that longer tube seems to get hung up more in the brush.

I prefer the 24" tube as I do use the rifle in heavy woods when hunting blacktail deer and sometimes muleys.

RELH

Thanks guys, the rifle I've been packing as of late has a 26" barrel and a 2" break, and I will be hunting in very open country, length will not be an issue.

One more question, fact of fiction? I have been told that a 25-06 with a longer barrel will shoot a larger bullet a little better than a shorter barrel. I was told that the length of the 117 gr. and 120 gr. bullet dont stabalize quite like they should out of a short barrel. When the 25-06 was designed it was really designed for shooting 100 gr. bullets and smaller. I can see some reasoning to this, but is it true?

Thanks,

NVMDF

Someone fed you a line of B.S. The rate of twist, not the barrel lenght controls how a bullet will stabilize from a light to a heavier bullet.

Most factory 25-06 barrels have a 1-10 twist ratio and will stabilize bullets from 87 grains to 120 grains with no problem. I shoot 117-120 gr. bullets in my 24" barrel 25-06 and the targets of 1/2 to 3/8 inch groups confirm that it will shoot those heavier bullets very well.

You are going to find that there is many arm chair experts who will give very poor to stupid advice when it comes to firearms and ballistics. We have a few on this site, but we also have some that do know their firearms and ballistics and will give very sound advice based on their experience.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom