Vernon Unit question

400bull

Very Active Member
I have a neighbor that likes to collect bugs as a hobby. One of the bugs that he is looking for is a ?Mormon cricket?. I know several years ago that the Vernon unit was having a bug (Mormon cricket) infestation problem but have not heard anything about it scenes then. For those of you that have been out scouting or hunting on the Vernon unit have you noticed if there are any crickets out there that I could tell my neighbor about?

Thanks

400bull

I heard Mossback has a posse of guides watching a giant mormon cricket out there. Blocking roads and everything.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that opportunity.

I believe the mormon crickets are a very cyclical insect and are only abundant or even present on certain years. They were thick on the Pahvant for a couple years and slowly disappeared. We haven't seen any for the last few years. When the cycle starts again they will be on the Pahvant again and most certainly Vernon too.

Funny Walleye, I think I seen 1 this year north of Vernon. Years ago I seen my first cricket on Stansbury Island before we had the big infestations.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will not make a recommendation for him to go look on the Vernon. I would hate to have him run into the Mossback crew and mess things up for the high dollar client that wants his neck trophy cricket. LOL!

400bull

I spent the summer out there as well. I saw ONE mormon cricket early on in the summer. New the top of dutch peak.

Good fieldcare leads to great mounts

Several years ago, they were lousy out there, but they were destroying everything in sight. The government went in and sprayed for them and it sounds like they definitely took a bite out of their population.

Maybe a little late for the Mormon Cricket. They might be dying off fast right now. Check out Bowns park. (East of Green River below Flaming Gorge). I have seen hundreds of thousands out there. They come in waves so drive the roads until you find them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom