Video help for a Newbie

nv_hunter

Very Active Member
So I have wanted to video my hunts and others hunts for a long time. Problem is that I know nothing about shooting and editing video footage. Where is a good place to start? Whats a good way to edit from my PC? Thanks

Warning1.jpg

It's actually a big question, but here's the shortest answer I can give you.

Start out slow and see how well you enjoy doing the post production work. It's way way way more difficult than filming and some people simply hate it. If you go out an blow a bunch on all this gear and hate doing the editing you're done before you get started. You have to be prepared for long hours in front of the computer learning and tweaking to get good edits.

For gear I'd suggest something like the following:

Camera (1080HD)
Panasonic TM700, TM750 or TM900 = $650 - $900
Two spare batteries = $200
Two 16 gig Class 6 SDHC cards = $100
Tripod
Slik 613 CF - Manfrotto 700RC2 video head = $350
Editing software
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 = $120

For an editing computer you need at least an i5 and preferably an i7 processor with 8 - 12 gigs of ram is minimum. A new i7 will run $1000 - $1800.

Your HDTV has to be able to play full 1080 HD video.

Even your best hunting buddies, who were on the hunt with you, won't last more than a few minutes in front of the tv if your shaking all over the place. Get that thing on a tripod or forget it.

If you can borrow a cam to try for a day or two and download the free trial software you can get a taste for free.

Here's my first ever HD video with a borrowed cam. Don't ask me how I did it. I spent the next 6 months and a couple grand before I ever did reproduce this kind of quality again! http://youtu.be/O3botujKJqw?hd=1

Needless to say I was hooked and the bottomless pit opened in front of me. Like usual I jumped in head first and have never looked back. If you check out some of my other video's you'll see it's come a long way in two years. Fun stuff to say the least, but there's an incredible amount to learn!

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom