Vietnam Wall

nickman

Long Time Member
I realize that I seldom offer up much of a serious nature on here, but this link was sent to me and I thought some of you older guys might find it as interesting and as moving as I did.

I have many friends and relatives on "The Wall." I guess that I would hope, for your sake, that none of you guys knew a soul on the thing!

The old saying, "There, but for the grace of God, go I", applies to me, and I am thankful every day that my name ain't on it!

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Very informative post Nick. I am too young to know anyone on there, but my Father probably had some friends on there. My Father spent practically all of his enlistment in the Army National Guard on ready reserve; bag packed ready to leave. He is thankful he was never called and I for one have to agree with that.
WVBOWAK

I had the opportunity to see the Wall in about 1989 or so. One of the most moving monuments in Washington. It is so polished that you can see your reflection. That kinda freaks you out even if you didn't spend time in Vietnam but were old enough to be drafted.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

I've got one relative and several high school classmates on The Wall. One of the most introspective places in the world ...

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

Seen it twice and still amazing how it bothers me just looking at it. I have school friends and ones I went to Basic training with on the "wall". I was over there too and it is something that you never forget.
That is why I hate Jane Fonda because I was there when that "beech" was in the North doing her protest against the Military involvement in VN.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Sooo long ago now. I would recognize a few names and maybe even remember faces. A few didn't make it through their first firefight. I got orders changed and went to a 4.2 inch mortar platoon, when I was destined for the 1st Cav and a line company. You couldn't hump them things too far other than out of the back of a Chinook. Mortared a few times and snipers taking pot shots, or just spraying us with an AK is about as hairy as it got...more worried about catching malaria from the endless mosquito attacks. I've seen an awesome painting that shows a GI touching names on that wall, with the ghost images touching their names as well. Thanks for this post.

We took the entire school 6-12 this year to the traveling wall. Found the names of local soldiers who gave all and put together a slide presentation now on Youtube than won some awards.

More important surprisingly, was an emotional experience for kids that weren't born when the war was going on. Nothing like meeting with the vets that were there. Most didn't talk about the war but instead talked about their friendships they developed there. I am from that era but it was well worth the bus trip.

I just finished reading every name listed from Utah..Very sobering.. God Bless them all and their families.

I saw it in 2007 i'm only 14 so I didn't know anyone on it but my dad did. I appreciate everyone who fights for us each and every day.

Very sobering indeed. Some gave all, all gave some. Many who didn't end up on the monument came back with life long trials because of it.

P.S. Anyone who can make light of it needs to have their rear kicked up between their ears. Pretty shameful when I have to nuke a post on a thread like this because someone thinks they are cute.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have a brother on that wall.....what amazed me was the first time I saw the memorial I noticed the font size of the names engraved were fairly small....yet "The Wall" went on for hundreds of yards filled with an unimaginable amount of heroic names.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks nickman. I've never seen the wall but was able to locate two local guys I knew through that link.

I've never told this story before to anyone. Back in 1967 I got my draft notice. I was 19 and was living in my own apartment at the time. One night about 10pm I got a knock on the door. It was my dad. He had an envelope with $2000 in it. With tears in his eyes he told me I was going to go to Canada. We argued, and I never took the money. As it was, I ended not being drafted and avoided having to serve.

We were a divide nation back then.

Eel

Thanks for posting that Don.. I spent some time this morning going through it and found my friends that lost their lives in Viet Nam.

It really took me back in time and brought back memories of each one of them. They paid the ultimate price and I have never forgotten that.

I will always have the utmost respect for the Americans that have served their country.

1911 - I with you a 150% on the ass kickin...

AWESOME!!!

Just go through the M page and it is AMAZING how many good people we lost!

1911 +100 on the a$$ kicking!

My Father in Law was there in 1967 and luckily came home. He has many stories to tell but I have only heard a few when he has had a few beers. He never talks about it in front of my wife or kids which is understandable but my oldest daughter (16) is VERY patriotic and wants to hear the stories and has even asked but he won't.

My dad was a little older and had a wife and kids and and was never drafted but joined the National Guard in 62 or 63 but was never activated. But he had a close friend whose brother who was also a friend of Dad's who lived through it but died within a year or so of his return from cancer said to be caused by Agent Orange. I looked for him on the Virtual Wall to no avail. I believe he and probably many others belong there.

Eel thanks for sharing that story. I put myself (mentally) in both you and your fathers shoes and can find no wrong in either. You should both be proud of yourselves.

I know of a young man locally who just a few days ago took his life after suffering Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome since his return from the Middle East. Turns out he had quit taking his medication and seeing his counselor. All give some and some give all and others continue to give for the rest of their lives whether they want to or not.

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-11 AT 02:02PM (MST)[p]I have some relatives and some friends on that wall. And some that may as well be.

I've made it a hobby of mine to help folks find others...relatives, friends, etc., burial spots and so on.

Here are a couple other links that are useful.

http://vvmf.org/
http://thewall-usa.com/guestbook.asp

Each link, along with the one posted by nickman, has clues that can help you find someone. There are lots of specific unit links available too.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

>Very sobering indeed. Some gave
>all, all gave some.
>Many who didn't end up
>on the monument came back
>with life long trials because
>of it.
>
>P.S. Anyone who can make
>light of it needs to
>have their rear kicked up
>between their ears. Pretty
>shameful when I have to
>nuke a post on a
>thread like this because someone
>thinks they are cute.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Amen 1911, I saw that post and just shook my head!!!!! WTF???

THANKS NICKMAN, THE WHOLE SITUATION WAS VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH FOR SURE. I RECOGNIZED A COUPLE OF NAMES FROM MY HOME TOWN AS WELL. WHAT PUNK ON MM COULD SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ...WOULD BE BEYOND ME......IF YOU KNOW ....PM ....HIS NAME TO ME.......GOD BLESS OUR SERVICE TROOPS............YD.

God bless all of those heroes and God bless all of you heroes on this site that served..I thank you with all my heart!!!

Dave, I was not able to catch the post that got nuked. I have no idea what it said or who posted it......which is probably a good thing. Maybe someone who did read it will PM me.

It could get nasty if someone found some reason to trash this thread......idiot!

On the other hand, those guys on the "wall", gave their lives, so that he had the freedom to do it. If he at least, can't appreciate that..........

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-11 AT 07:15PM (MST)[p]My father spent 13 months over there, doesn't talk about it much, except for the funny stuff.

I've visited "the wall" a few times, looking at the names of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice defending our country, has never failed to move me to tears.

Here's a pic of the painting that NVPete was referring to. Great painting by an artist named Lee Teter. After looking at his website, I think I'll be buying a print of the original. It will be money well spent to remind me, my kids, and anyone who visits my home, what a great gift those who gave all, have given the rest of us.

VietnamReflections.jpg

This is a video my class made when traveling to the Vietnam Memorial traveling wall. I had very little to do with it other some tech stuff so I will warn you it isn't perfect. Also a little long.

Before someone busts my chops on this. I know they included a few pictures of WWI, WWII and Korea. The theme was on Patriotism and the Sacrifices Made. Many of the pictures were at the traveling wall with local kids, however some were used from the internet obviously. Trying to cover all bases before it gets blasted remember I spend a lot of time on Sportsmen Political Chat.

I have seen the wall in DC. It's definitely a must see if you ever get there. I found several of the names I knew of on the wall from my home town. I did not know of some of the others I found on this website. I was lucky enough to be a little too young and missed getting drafted and sent over there. My senior trip was much better than a lot of guys just a few years older than me.

Thanks YD. Yeah Nv. the name highlighted in the one frame was one of my best friends brother. I never knew him, didn't live in this area, he would have been 6 years older than me. He was a helicopter gunner he was shot down in less than 1 week in Nam. Dean Leach. It was pretty much his senior trip.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom