vortex razor

highcountryhays

thinking about buying a Vortex razor 20x60--85 and learning how to digiscope.

Will I be disappointed with the Vortex or should I consider a 20x60 85 Zeiss. I looked at the Sworovski, but did not like the focus system.

I was in your shoes about a year ago, and went with the Razor. I have been digiscoping with it and have had excellent results. Many reviews said that if the "Big 3" scopes are 100/100, the Razor is 98/100. Not bad for half the price. I am not disappointed at all about my purchase. Go for it.

}}-SLIVER-->

LAST EDITED ON May-20-12 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]Go with the Zeiss. You get what you pay for and will probably be disappointed. I know I was...

My buddy recently got a set of Vortex razor for about $1K. It's a very good spotter. If you can get it for about $1000, it's worthy it. I have compared it to my Zen-ray ED2 82mm spotter. I would say that they are essentially identical twin spotters.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-12 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]I appreciate all the help.

I compared the Razor to Sworovski, and my Zeiss. I felt the Razor gathered more light and was clearer edge to edge. Then I tried the Kowa prominar 88. The Kowa is in a class by itself. I am keeping it and selling my Zeiss.

Honestly, I can't say the difference is worth the price. But now that I have looked through the Kowas, I can't bring myself to send them back.

You found the same things that I've been saying.....The Kowa 883/884 has no peer, including the newest Leica spotter. I've beem using my 884 for a couple of years now and am amazed at the glass every time I use it.

All zeiss spotting scopes have very poor edge to edge sharpness, this is true for the new generation scope and the old green or silver scopes. For that reason alone I would go with a razor or a used swarovski. The kowa are great but the bodies scratch up too easy and can be tough to find in the used market.