Vortex spotting scope broke

T

TheElitehornhunter

I bought the angled 20X60X80 ED for $799 dollars last year. I have only used this spotting scope 3 times. Yesterday, I had it out looking at some elk and the focus wheel came off. Is this a common problem? I sure hope not. I'm glad there is a VIP warranty or I would be pissed.

I seem to only hear two different stories about vortex optics

story 1- These are the greatest optics in the world next to the big three and the best buy in optics.

story 2- My vortex just broke and I need to send them back (but they have the greatest warranty so no big deal.

I'm not knocking them because I haven't owned any but I do hear a lot of stories of spotting scopes breaking or turrets breaking on rifle scopes. I don't think I've heard any breakage stories on their binos though.

So are there any other Vortex stories out there? Is it just the low end line that has problems or a couple particular models? I've looked through the razors and they seem clear. I was going to try a rifle scope but got gunshy when I heard some turret stories. Was that just something with an old model that isn't relevant anymore?

"What's the problem?"

+1 Deadi

The problem is, what if this had happened on an expensive or long waited for hunt? Sure, he can have the problem repaired during the off season but he may have found the problem while it was very much needed.

$800. for a S.Scope is not chump change. My new Bushnell Spacemaster cost half that but the one before it lasted me 30 years with NO problems. Yes, could be better glass, no doubt, but 95% of the time, the limiting factor was the visibility or heat waves, not the glass.

I'm always glad for posts like this. The author of this thread asked a very legitimate question. "what's the problem?" IMO, was not a very good reply.

Joey

I have been a Vortex user for the past four years and have yet to have anything go wrong with my Nomad spotter or my Vulture binos. My experience has been nothing but positive, but when things happen it is nice to be able to rely on that warranty. My uncle got bucked off his horse and landed right on his binos and broke them right down the middle between the two tubes. Sent them in and had another pair in 2 weeks. Those are my experiences, hope it helps.

Yeah maybe it is karma. I deserve to have my spotting scope break after using it three times. I wish I was better person because bad things don't happen to good people, right?

I need to repent to the hunting gods so that I can have good things happen in the future.

Do you really need to get on a forum and ask a question like that? Quit bi+ching and just send it in to get fixed. That's what a warranty is for. I had to get a pair of Swaro's fixed 2 times. Big deal.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Bull, Why all the aggression to his post? He's just asking if others have had the same problem. I see nothing wrong at all with it, would ask the same myself if it had happened to me.

Hate to ask but, are you associated with Vortex?

IMO, this is exactly the kind of thing that these forums are for.

Joey

>Do you really need to get
>on a forum and ask
>a question like that?
>Quit bi+ching and just send
>it in to get fixed.
> That's what a warranty
>is for. I had
>to get a pair of
>Swaro's fixed 2 times.
>Big deal.
>
>
>It's always an adventure!!!
>www.awholelottabull.com

I was never bi+ching about it. I just wanted to see if other people were having the same issues with the focus wheel as me. If they were then I don't want to keep sending mine in every time it breaks. I want it to be dependable during my hunts. I know Vortex has a good warrenty.

Yep. I absolutely love them. I promote them. I use them and abuse them. I am a dealer but I'm only a dealer so friends can get what they want when they want it. Try and go into a sporting goods store and have them order an item they don't carry. Great optics. Great customer service. Enough said.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I have owned vortex binos and they are great glass, however there 20-60X80 spotting scope has issues, and it's not with the glass. The glass is awesome but the scope housing has problems. My brother has had two scope literally break in half. There is a plastic shroud that holds the two sections of the scope together that will break with very little impact. He didn't drop the scope but it has bounced around in a pack saddle on more than one occasion.Vortex customer service replaced both scope in a expedited manner, but the scope still failed in the field. I hope they fix the problem because the glass is exceptional.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-10 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]The adjustment wheel just feels cheap on vortex..just sayin, I know I will hear the wrath from the vortex cult now.

I have both the Razor bino's and the ED spotting scope. I have used them in the field and in ruff places. I did contact Vortex and had a few extra eye cups ordered from them just in case. I also own two tripods of Vortex. Did have a problem with one and sent it in and they turned it around and sent a big appology. Also sent me a new head better than the one that was on it. No complains here. I have used and abused and they are still ticking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom