Wall Pedestal Mount - Virgo

fly4fish

In response to the Hunt for Virgo Video thread in the Mule Deer forum, a few people mentioned they would like to see the finished taxidermy work. I had him done as a wall pedestal with a thread in the base to be used as a floor pedestal in the future should I want to go this route.

7758virgo_wall_pedistal_2.jpg

Here is a rack I found on the back side of an old outhouse. He obviously has a resemblance to Virgo, and was hanging not far from where Virgo was killed.

798virgo_ancestor.jpg

If you missed the video, here it is: http://youtu.be/8XvuoinPsBc

Sweet buck and fantastic mount!
It's funny you show/mention the similarities of two different bucks that just so happened to live in the same area, only years apart. Today I read an article in Eastman's that was about that exact topic. It also had photographic evidence of how the genetics have carried on for generations, even in some the most heavily hunted areas. As long as a buck or two could slip through the cracks to reach maturity it would/could show some strong similarities of some the toads taken in the heyday.

Thanks for sharing!

Very nice!
The genetics is something neat to keep track of. Going back to the 1960's we can see the same traits every time we shoot a bigger whitetail near my parents house in Minnesota.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Not that is matters- but did you put a tape to him..?? Did he make that magical mark..?? :)

And thanks for the video, it was amazing...!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

At the end of the youtube video the scoring sheet says 211.5".Unless the magic mark is 212" I'd say he made it!

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-13 AT 02:19AM (MST)[p]I didn't want to jinx myself by putting him over the magical mark, but I had a feeling he would break 200". I didn't think over 205 though, so I was pleasantly surprised when he totaled 211 with a 30" spread. I can't believe he lost his biggest kicker; that thing was nearly 8 inches when he was 4(?).

I should mention that he was measured after a 2 hour drying period, by myself (not an official scorer).

Looks awesome! Thanks again for taking us on the journey.

...and I have a Camstrap on the way!!

>>>---->
For the love of the game

outstanding video! One of the best I've ever seen, great job! Must have been a special moment when you finally made it happen after watching him all those years.

Congrats!

2a0fcsk.gif

That was an impressive video! Great documentation of your pursuit of this buck over the years. Glad you were able to make it happen. I am just guessing that this was in South Dakota?

Great looking mount. I love the strips of velvet still on the rack. I have a buck that has a couple of pieces still hanging on too and I think it gives it great character.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I agree great video one of the best I've seen. I was really impressed that your plan came together and you made a great shot. I 'm also impressed no one at this point has posted a negative comment that tells you how good it was.

Roy
I believe it was Idaho.
Great Video.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

" I am just guessing that this was in South Dakota? "

Is this an inconspicuous way of asking where the hunt took place, or is there a reason you thought South Dakota?

To confirm Gator, Idaho.

Glad you enjoyed, and I like the velvet as well. Most bucks around here loose nearly all of their velvet in 15 minutes to 1 day, which is what he did in 2011. In 2012, he began shedding a week or two before I got him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom