Wall Tent Floors?

H

HillbillyNnevada

After many years,I have enough Cabela's points to get a free canvas wall tent. Should I go with sewn in floor, tie in floor or no floor?

I plan to use a wood stove. The sewn in floor looks like it would be warmer while it also seems like it would be tough to keep clean.

What have been your experiences with tent floors?

Boy, that's a tuffy. I say since it is free, get all the canvas you can. Go for the sewn-in floor.

I believe that you can get a snap in floor. The sod cloth has snaps mounted in it, and your floor has matching snaps. I think that this would be the best. Easily removable for cleaning.

where are you going to use tent Back country or next to a road.
The reason I ask is because when we camp next to a road we use a plywood floor(we put some of that fake grass on it to cut down on the mud) that we use on the floor of the trailer we use to haul the wheelers in with so it just lays flat on the bottom of the trailer, But if you are packing into the Back country you will want a lighter tent(weight on horses or mules) so no floor there either. I guess I would say NO FLOOR either way.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

We have one without floor we use for cook tent/hanging out, and one with sewn-in floor used for sleep tent. We try to keep most of the mud out of the sleep tent. It is not too hard to clean, especially if you can wait til it dries and sweep it out.
Biggest drawback is weight. The treated floor just about doubles the weight and makes it pretty unwieldy. Sewn in floor definately seals up and keeps the wind out! If it were our only tent I would consider removable floor.
Ed

I will be using it near a road so weight isn't really a consideration unless it makes it harder to handle when framing it up.

None of my wall tents have floors. I use the heavy blue tarps from Costco. That way when they wear out I just replace them. They're about $15 for two of them and they are 12'X16'. The sewn in canvas floors WILL wear out and they are a pain to clean. With the sewn in canvas floor you will still need a ground cloth to keep out the moisture. When I break camp I roll my tent up on the tarp which helps to keep it clean. Go without the floor and spend the extra money on something else.
Wes

My friend has a tent and when I was camping with him, I always brought along my oversize blue tarp. Easy to clean off later and fold up. Just be carefull around the stove in tent and all will be good. Also good alarm when field mice enter the tent by them running around on the material. LOL

Brian

Indoor/outdoor carpet works great as previously mentioned. You can find rolls at Lowe's or Home Depot fairly cheap.
-Raptor

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-09 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]Actually, a removable floor is probably the best. Plus, when packing, that extra canvas could come in handy for a number of things.

I spent roughly 40-days in a wall tent last year and there's no way I'd have a sewn in floor! Snap in maybe, but not sewn in! A poly tarp or even a painters tarp is the way to go. They're relatively inexpensive, way easier to keep clean, and are replaceable.

+1

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

For high class wall tent living use some actual house carpet. I pickup a remnant from the local carpet store every year for my tent floor. Lay your tarp down first and carpet on top. Nothing better than rolling out of the cot and standing on some nice burber. Sweeps better than you would think too.

None of our party's wall tents have sewn in floors, mine included. When using our canvas wall tents we make base camp where the trucks stop. For these tents we lay down poly tarps with marine grade/treated canvases over them. We sandwich the sod cloths between the two layers. Works great.

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-09 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p]Another thing about sewn in floors that has not been mentioned is, how would your ever set up an internal frame? Guess it could be done, but man, what a PITA that would be!

+1 on indoor outdoor carpet. Few years ago I took that one step further. Had a friend give me several large pieces of nice carpeting they had taken out of a house. It was nearly new and pretty good quality. If its set up right and the walls are staked well and sod cloth is right, that carpet on the floor makes it so darn nice it's unreal. Sometimes I put a lightweight poly tarp or drop cloth under it if the ground is wet or likely to get wet. We had it set up two years ago for a month and it was more like having a cabin to go to on weekends than camping in a tent.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom