Wall tent questions

huntzall

Alright guys I need the basics of wall tents!
I have a Davis tent 12x14 ! I'm looking to get a stove for it! I've heard the kwik kamp is a good one ! Any other suggestions?
Do you guys tarp the top of your tents or are they pretty good resisting rain and snow ? Do you have any problems with hot ash burning holes in the top of your tents? Post any pictures of your setups! This will be my first attempt using one this fall!!! Thanks

I would tarp the top. Ours drips water off of the frame when it gets real wet. Never burned a hole, we have a filter over the top of the chimney.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-14 AT 09:13AM (MST)[p]We stick some fine wire mesh inside of the stove pipe at the top to help keep down burning embers.
Tarp in laid right on top of tent. If we camp close to the road and hunting from trucks and such and not packing in, we use a plywood floor. It easy to put the plywood on the bottom of the trailer for hauling, PLUS if you hit rain or snow on the road it keeps all your other stuff drier from water getting kicked up from the roadway.
I use a cylinder stove( about 70 lbs) out Cedar City UT most of the time.
Propane tree on a bottle with a couple of outlets will run a heater and lantern. You can also unhook and put a stove to work too on those outlets. We set the bottle in a hole( about 2/3 of the bottle and a tight hole) so it can't tip over works pretty good. You can only take in as much as your horses/mules can carry the more horses/mules the more you can take. More you have to care for too.
Tip: Make sure your whole group break all their horses and mules to being hobbled/ high line now to save you some headaches if one members horse isn't broke for them. On a highline we use old short pieces of fire hose to run the rope thru to keep from scaring up any of the trees that we tie the high line too.
Hope this helps.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-14 AT 10:03AM (MST)[p]I also agree on the Cylinder Stove. We've been using them for thirty years. Great set up...everything fits inside. One other thing we do is to put a pan of water on the stove and keep it full to help with the dry air.

On the tarp...we get one big enough to hang over the edges to get the water away from the tent and a place to store extra fire wood. You will get burns in the tarp from sparks and have to get another every few years or so.

Moose

5719imported_photos_00098.jpg

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Another vote for the cylinder stove. I bought the heaviest stove I could find. The more iron, the longer it stays hot on cold nights. I waterproofed the tent with the white goo stuff and it does a good job. I don't bother with the tarp, however if I were expecting snow I would as the snow will slide off the tarp much easier than the canvas tent. I bought several 5'X7' indoor/outdoor carpets for a few bucks a piece at Lowe's. They make a good floor and are easy to transport and clean.

I tarp my tent every time, not only on account of rain/snow, but it provides an extra layer of protection against hot embers burning a hole through your tent. I also use a Cylinder Stove. Heavy SOB, but holds heat.

+1 one on all comments.
I use a tarp on top to reduce the condensation build-up in the tent.
The cylinder stove out of Cedar City is a great stove, been using it for years. You can get a vent top to reduce embers.
I had a custom floor made up in a heavy vinyl like material with a removable section for the stove when I use it.

We have a Montana canvas wall tent with a floor also use the cylinder stove and have 2 sheepherder stoves that work good to I have a rain fly that came with my tent haven't had any problems with embers burning holes as of yet had it about 4 yrs now also use a propane bottle with MR Heater our tenet is 14 x 17 and it stays plenty warm with either stove or mr heater. I would suggest water proofing we used scotch guard it took about 3 cans to do the whole tent

Tarp for sure. When it snows it will slide off and will help keep the weight off.

For stove you should think about where you will be setting up your tent. by a road or backcountry? I like a sims stove cause it folds up nice and light and really helps when I pack in several miles with the horses. with a sims stove I usually put dirt in the bottom so the heat don't warp or slowly burn a hole in the bottom.

All my camping will be near a road so weight of the stove isn't an issue. When you tarp your tent. Do you cut a hole through the tarp for the stove pipe?

Been using a Davis tent for 8 years swear by them. Actually have 2 that we use end to end. Use a cylinder stove in the one we cook out of and a 25000 btu propane stove in the one we sleep in. Haven't used a tarp but sounds like a good idea.

I cut a diamond out around the stove pipe in the tarp. Then duct tape the flaps back, it makes a little ridge for the water to travel around and not as much drips in.

DZ

With a new tarp...just get it tied down where you want it and cut a hole from the inside of the tent through the stove pipe hole. You can make it a inch or so larger than the pipe. Easy.

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

I have a cylinder stove and love it. The outfit in Cedar City isnt there anymore. I think they moved to Richfield. I like to burn coal in mine. Its a good stove

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom