Wall tent vs. Pop up?

W

wisconsinfarmer

I'm looking to move up from the tarp and sleeping bag and sleeping in the box of my truck now that my kids are getting a little old and wanting to start to come with. I don't want to buy a big camper I just want something that will kick some heat out keep the beds dry and give a little room to move around for 3 people. So I like the idea of the wall tent not having to drag a trailer around but I also like the idea of a pop up and not having my box on my truck full. Like to hear what you guys and gals have experienced. I will say my kids are not very big so for the most part I'm going to be setting up and taking down by myself.

Thanks

I have used pop up trailers but granted it was 20 years ago. The pop up was cool because it would go pretty much any place I could get a truck or jeep. The older pop up I used took some time to set up. I wasn't all that impressed with a pop up in the cold weather because the heater just couldn't seem to keep up so the heater was running all the time. Granted maybe these newer pop ups are better insulated but I doubt it because you still have the canvas on the sides.

I love wall tents and for me its the only way to go. I usually use a 12 X 14 and that is perfect for two guys to have some room and with kids depending on the size I think it would work for a while. With that size I usually set that one up myself and depending on how much ground I have to level I can set that up in 30-40 minutes.

When there is 3 guys hunting for a week or more we use a 14 X 17 and that one is a pain to set up by myself but I can do it. The bigger tents probably take me a hour or a little more to set up by myself. Guess I will clarify when I say set up I'm talking about everything from staking it out to setting up stove and setting up cots.

Having had pop ups and travel trailers with slide outs I think there is no comparison on the amount of room I have in a wall tent. I also seem to always have bad weather when I'm hunting so the wall tent with a stove is a big deal for me. Nothing like getting soaking wet in the rain or snow and coming back to build a fire in the wall tent stove. Those stoves will dry all your clothes out and get so hot that I have to open the tent door while its freezing outside.

I will be honest that a nice wall tent camp will take up some room in your truck bed if you bring all the extras like cots, fold up tables, etc.

As stated by Foundation I think the wall tents are very sturdy and can be set up comfortable. But...for the long haul I would take a hard look at the pop ups..You can Pull them with almost anything. No room gone in the bed of your truck. Depending on the size you choose you can sleep three to four easy...with the pop up you get beds, propane, fridge, battery that you can add more for extra capacity in lighting. And if you purchase one of those portable Mister Heaters that you can set up to run off a 5gal propane tank you are set. Those heaters are awesome, and will heat a pop up or tent at night for a weeks hunt. They are safe with an oxygen sensor shut off if you get low on oxygen. You just need to leave something cracked for air and your set. The heater is designed for the heat to go up so the pop up or tent floor never gets hot so they are very safe and give out monster heat. Best of all... With the pop up and that type of set up you remain portable and can move around if the hunt isn't going so good. You must do a lot more to breakup a tent camp. Good Luck which ever way you choose.:)

))))------->

You guys are killing me. Both the points are the exact points that I'm hung up on.

Personally I like the wall tent. Very little room in the pop ups. Depending on tent size you can a have a ton of room. We use a 14x17 and use it for as few as 2 guys and as many as 5 at a time with enough room.
I set it up myself, takes some more time by yourself but not difficult.

Another thing that I like about the tent is when you are in the mountains and it starts snowing a lot, I do NOT want to be dragging a trailer out of the places I am in. Much more confident having a few hundred pounds for traction in the back of my truck with chains all around.
That trailer could cause you a lot of headaches and stress in deeper snow.
I can fit all the gear in a 6 1/2" box with a topper for 2 guys easy using our wall tent. Haven't done it but I know I could do it with 3 guys too and not putting anything in the back seat of the truck.
With some conservative packing (clothes/gear) and one of those hitch racks, I could get 4 guys in my truck and gear using the wall tent.

If you take care of your tent, it will last you for years. Consider this, buying a new tent and building your own frame will cost you about $800-$1000 and after 15 years you could probably get $400 for it, if in great shape. ---- Buying a new pop up will cost you $3k-8k and will drop in value considerably over 15 years, plus all the maitenance, tires etc.. you need to do with it...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Mntman I totally agree on both the dragging a trailer around and especially on the money part since I'm kind of cheap. Think I'm going the wall tent route.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-13 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]I have a Cabela's 12'x12'x Alaknak tent and a Cabover Camper.

I bought the cabover 14 years ago when my kids were young. I would highly recommend considering this over a Pop-up. Cabovers are much easier to get in and out of tight spots, actually have much more storage space, are easy to take off with electric jacks, have built in heaters with a thermostat, outside showers(ignore full size bath's), a full kitchen with hot water, sinks, fridge and freezer. The best thing, and what I miss most when using my tent, is the fact that it takes a fraction of the time to break camp and leave, which can be huge in a storm. I never had a hard time sleeping 3 grown-up's(Big bed, converted dinner table, and floor(up to 6'5 easy).

The benefit of my tent set-up is that there is more room for 3 guys in terms of hanging out. With younger kids this wasn't really an issue, or they were usually outside when I cooked. The Alaknak, is much lighter than your typical canvas outfitter tent the same size, has a built in floor to keep mice out(huge), and does set up and take down fairly quick with 2 people, but can be done with one. Most canvas tents are really hard with one person. Add the additional vestibule and you add bout 8'x 4' of actual extra storage for cooking, wood, and wet boots.

I use both now for more casual and bigger camps when needed, using my cabover as the full service kitchen, and my grand bedroom suite, keeping my three 6' to 6'4" son's in the tent with their stinky socks.

Budget wise, the Alaknak, with 3 cots, tables, woodstove, etc, can be had with patience for about $1000.00 all in. Used camper for 3/4 ton or larger pickup used in great shape for about $5-7k, and older one's in great shape for maybe $2k under that.

Hunted with a buddy and his dad with their "pop-up" tent trailer for 4 years, and I always thought the amount of storage, set-up/break-down time, and the small wheels/suspension were not what I wanted for my kind of hunting, plus no real shower option.

Good luck...

Did wall tents for years but bought an off road pop up this year and there is no comparison for set up time and comfort! The heater I'll run you out even when it's 18 degrees! I'm not getting rid of my tents but they will get a lot less usage.

I finally got me a wall tent and will never go back to anything else! I was always scared of the "hard to set up" comments, but I just don't see it. I have a 12x14 and can set it up in 20 minutes. It's a no brainer between a wall tent and pop up. If you are running out on a Friday night and coming back on a Sunday a pop up might make sense, but if you are going for any time longer than that a wall tent is the only way to go.

Thanks everybody! I'm going to go with the wall tent just like the options a guy has with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom