Walleye

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Anyone have a good year for Walleye in 2023 ?
It has been 25 years since I left Washington. Had a few good trips when I lived there. I had an old Tri- Hull that wasn't pretty or fast, but it sure worked well for me. So, no boat and live in Idaho now. I have wanted to go back for several species. In April I'm headed to the Columbia River above the Dalles Dam to fish fir Walleye. They removed the limit on Walleye to give Steelhead and Salmon Smolt a better chance.
Still need to go back and fish for some Steelhead too, and that is good on the bank which is nice as I put in the time back then.
Walleye are tasty but they aren't the best fighters.

Walleye action last was slow everywhere we went. It didn't pick up until October around here. Colorado continues their walleye phobia so we venture into Utah. If you're in Idaho, have ya gone after any of their perch? Darn things grow bigger up there than most walleyes in other states.

Walleye action last was slow everywhere we went. It didn't pick up until October around here. Colorado continues their walleye phobia so we venture into Utah. If you're in Idaho, have ya gone after any of their perch? Darn things grow bigger up there than most walleyes in other states.
Have only fished Ririe Reservoir for Perch. All were small.

Nebraska was great in 2023.
Screenshot_20240218_155059_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240218_155031_Gallery.jpg

Fished Cascade yesterday. Lots of small perch. Good ice. Jumbos this winter been few and far.
Small Perch taste good and if you have enough of them. Do you keep them ?
Some states add Muskies and Walleye, Perch do well for size.

That's a keeper ! I had a 5lb Wallie and a 5 lb Coho I caught years ago. My buddies boat had engine fuel problems and raw fuel was sucked in to the livewell. Ruined both fish.
That's rough. I actually released those two. I usually only keep them under 20". They are better to eat when they are smaller to me. I did weigh both before releasing, 5.2 and 7.5.

Grew up fishing northern Minnesota and have a strong passion for Canadian shield fishing. Crossing fingers we get back up there in 2025.

Grew up fishing northern Minnesota and have a strong passion for Canadian shield fishing. Crossing fingers we get back up there in 2025.
I found a couple reservoirs in Idaho to fish. I guess I will talk to a friend and see about trying a trip. One soon and maybe one in the summer. Oakley Reservoir sounds good.

I rode up to Saskatchewan with my son and grandson last June, they were hunting black bear. I fished will they swatted mosquitoes. The northern pike were small but I lucked into a midsized walleye. I asked the camp chef to cook it up for us. WOW……. It was spectacular. It’s almost worth another 2,600 mile round trip to catch another one.

06607D7C-E795-4017-BB2B-D6EBA5AE6FB4.jpeg
8AFE7642-712D-4C70-8F49-620E15D3135A.jpeg

We catch em quite a bit here in ND. They please the crowds but I’d just as soon catch almost any other type of fish. People go crazy to eat em but I usually give them to landowners who let me hunt or family as I think they are tasteless and you only taste whatever you bread them in. I caught a big one last winter on Ft Peck. They fight like a bath towel.

IMG_2947.jpeg

We catch em quite a bit here in ND. They please the crowds but I’d just as soon catch almost any other type of fish. People go crazy to eat em but I usually give them to landowners who let me hunt or family as I think they are tasteless and you only taste whatever you bread them in. I caught a big one last winter on Ft Peck. They fight like a bath towel.

View attachment 138599
Sounds delicious to me. Closer to Utah than Sask. too. 😁

Ft Peck is an incredible walleye fishery. It’s so remote and just so damn big that those fish are dying of old age in there.
That seems like the ultimate fishing destination and not only for walleyes. I hope to get there in the next few years but it will take quite a commitment of time and resources coming from salt lake

Anyone have a good year for Walleye in 2023 ?
It has been 25 years since I left Washington. Had a few good trips when I lived there. I had an old Tri- Hull that wasn't pretty or fast, but it sure worked well for me. So, no boat and live in Idaho now. I have wanted to go back for several species. In April I'm headed to the Columbia River above the Dalles Dam to fish fir Walleye. They removed the limit on Walleye to give Steelhead and Salmon Smolt a better chance.
Still need to go back and fish for some Steelhead too, and that is good on the bank which is nice as I put in the time back then.
Walleye are tasty but they aren't the best fighters.
We took a trip to where you’re headed in early April last year. Don’t ignore the sturgeon, we had a blast catching them. Then we went and got walleye.
IMG_1922.jpeg
IMG_3242.jpeg
IMG_1911.jpeg

Time to revive this thread. We got a 2 trips to Cascade Lake planned this spring. May 1-5 and June 7-16. Looking forward to spending time searching for perch. ✌️

Nice! Hope you stuff your live well!
Thanks Tail. I hope they are still biting well. I haven't heard which pool we will be at. Anywhere from Umatilla to the Dalles is all I know. I haven't fished there since I had a boat from 1988 to 1996.
I miss the sturgeon and steelhead glory days the most.

How do you catch these things! I have a major river near me that “supposedly” holds many, but for the life of me I have no idea how to catch them intentionally, fishing from shore. I have caught 1 or two over the years while fishing for other species. Some guys clean up on large walleyes in the same vicinity - but nobody spills the beans on spots, timing, or tactics. Selfish bastards!! Ha ha!

How do you catch these things! I have a major river near me that “supposedly” holds many, but for the life of me I have no idea how to catch them intentionally, fishing from shore. I have caught 1 or two over the years while fishing for other species. Some guys clean up on large walleyes in the same vicinity - but nobody spills the beans on spots, timing, or tactics. Selfish bastards!! Ha ha!
I always pulled a Double Whammy Lure with a nightcrawler hooked to a bottom walker rig. Troll slowly where they are found.

Well it got canceled due to wind conditions at Boardman this Tuesday. I gave him some other dates so will see what happens next. Weather dictates fishing on big water.

The wife slayed the walleye. I only caught 3 plus 2 shakers. She caught 2 nice smallmouth and a 5' Sturgeon also. On our way home and the boost pipe on my Equinox went out. I think it is connected to tve intercooler. Not sure what will happen. No one way rental cars in this little Oregin town.

The wife slayed the walleye. I only caught 3 plus 2 shakers. She caught 2 nice smallmouth and a 5' Sturgeon also. On our way home and the boost pipe on my Equinox went out. I think it is connected to tve intercooler. Not sure what will happen. No one way rental cars in this little Oregin town.
Good eats. Thanks to Momma. Sorry about the vehicle issues though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom