Want to buy a GPS, need some help!

Ellensburg

Hey, I finally want to purchase a GPS. I want it to be a very good machine, hopefully under $350. I want to be able to easily mark spots in the field that are of interest to me. I am pretty tech-savvy so I don't mind if it has a lot of computer add ons. Just lookin for any input, thanks.

I second the Garmin Etrex vote. I had a Garmin Trex Summit for years, and really liked it. Last year I bought an Etrex Vista, and transferred all my waypoints onto it. I like the Vista because I was able to download topo maps onto it, and because you can pan the cursor around the screen to get bearing, distance, and coordinates for any distant point instantly. You don't need to download the topo maps to make good use of this unit, but it's nice to have the capacity. The Vista was 200 bucks from Cabelas, and the Garmin Mapsource Topo (entire USA) was another 120 I think. Real easy to use, I highly recommend the Vista. You get outstanding technical support from Garmin via their 800 telephone # too. Have fun

The two best models right now are the Garmin 60CSx and the Delorme Earthmate PN-20. They both have topo map views and the delorme even has satellite view. However, the PN-20 has a small screen and the topo on the 60Csx sucks. I did a ton of research and in the end decided to wait until next year when garmin and delorme upgrade these models. This was the 1st year for gps with topo maps.

I have two of the Rino 530's and I want one more.

I really like the GPS on these things and LOVE that they have a radio on them. The peer to peer is the best thing about them in my book.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Garmin 60Csx works great easy to use, great reception. My friend just bought the delorme earthmate and could not get reception most of the day.

I would definitely second the Garmin line. I own a Magellin and a friend of mine owns a Garmin. We were going in to take a second load of elk meat out of the backcountry and I couldn't get a fix in the timber and my partner with his Garmin had no problem.

Coon

Another vote for the Rino 530. The radio range @ 5 watts is appox 10-12 miles with no obsructions. A very cool tool.

Big
29.gif
Fly

garmin is the way to go not very good with gadgets and technology but that trusty 100 dollar garmin is easy to use and has saved me anumber of times!

Garmin Foretrx 101. One of Garmins smallest, lightest models and runs on Two AAA batts. I have several others that are more advanced with maps and this is the one I keep going back to. Reliable, accurate, small, inexpensive.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

I would have to say the Rino 530 as well. It has so many features that are great, like the radio, Big color screen for your topo maps. A rechargable battery pack that can be charged from the cigerette lighter in your car. Lots of great stuff and the Peer to Peer function is great.

Jeff

10-12 miles of range for 5 watt radios point to point with no obstructions is not great performance. By way of comparison I can routinely hit the Phoenix Fire repeater on South Moutain from the top of Mt Humphrys in Flagstaff with my Motorola HT1000 which is also a five watt radio. That is well over 120 miles.

I can appreciate all the features of the 530, and I am a huge Garmin fan, I just don't want my navi and comms devices to be one in the same. If one goes down, they both go away and then there is battery management to consider. I know they are nice, I have a set, I just don't like them.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom