Warning: cabelas arrows!

kicker

Just warning everyone that I had a brand new out of the box carbon stalker extreme arrow totally explode on the first time I shot it today. Luckily it didn't go through my hand it just tweeked the string and left a nasty raspberry on my arm.

Cabelas was so gracious they offered to replace the arrow (1) so I could have it explode through my arm next time?

I will never shoot cabelas brand arrows again.

PW

Did you flex the arrow before shooting it? I always wondered why they tell you to do that. I am sure you had the right size for you draw weight and length. I am shocked they did not do more for you at Cabela's. The Easton Epics are great arrows. I am just glad you didn't run an arrow through your hand.

DO MANY ARCHERS SHOOT ALUMINUM ARROWS ANY MORE ??? IS THE CARBON ARROW THE ONLY MATERIAL THAT COMES APART/ DOES IT HAPPEN MUCH ??? ?? I ASK BECAUSE I AM CURRENT IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING ARCHERY EQUIPMENT TOGETHER FOR A UP COMING HUNT......NEED A BIT OF COACHING......................THANKS, ....YD.

Yeah I checked it before shooting. I will never buy low end arrows again. I just bought them to plink around with and shoot whistle pigs. Going to have to upgrade to some better arrows. I was VERY dissapointed with Cabelas over the whole thing. Even the employee helping me said he was going to throw his arrows away and upgrade after seeing my arrow and my arm.

PW

I have the same arrows and havent had a problem with them. I bought them for the turkey hunt not wanting to shoot my FMJ's. I havent had a problem with them and they shoot really good groups. Bummer on the arrow doing that. Glad nothing serious happened. I have been thinking about going to alum arrows just to get away from that problem all together.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-11 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]You need to check carbon arrows to make sure they aren't fractured or delaminating even before the first shot. Most are good quality and there are very few issues. If you want a better quality arrow buy a more expensive shaft or a aluminum carbon composite arrow. People still shoot aluminums but carbon arrows today are very well made and are very durable. I know you're upset with Cabela's but you could have returned the whole dozen and got something else.... They didn't make the product and their guarantee is better on their name brand products. ANY CARBON ARROW should be inspected before shooting even right out of the box for your safety that warning on the box for a reason ( things get damaged in shipping every single day). This could have just as easily happened with an arrow purchased from a reputable archery shop. Sorry it happened to you, but in todays world carbon arrows are the standard and most guys use them w/o incident.

I have been shooting carbon arrows for over 17 years and have never had one do that. I am no rookie when it comes to bows or bowhunting. I know to check every arrow before I shoot it and I did check it. You can stick up for cabelas all you want and I would have too up until last week. I agree that they have great quality products and pretty good service. I really don't even care about that part of it.....I just want anyone shooting those arrows to take note before someone get's one through their wrist. I appreciate the advice but don't make the mistake of chaulking this up to a rookie mistake....it was not. The arrow was bad and showed no signs of defect before the shot.

PW

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-11 AT 10:44AM (MST)[p]I'm not sticking up for Cabelas. The fact is this could have happened with ANY shaft from ANY shop or any manufacturer! that's my point! I'm glad you weren't hurt. We all assume that carbon arrows are so durable and reliable and for the most part they are but we need to check them and many don't. How many guys just take them out of the box and shoot them..... Most of us have done that especially after an archery shop builds them and we fall into the same trap. You checked them and still had a defective arrow think most guys do that? The retailers don't check them and neither do the archery shops. They don't have the time to do it so it falls to us and yes I've done it after picking us some arrows, it could have just as easily been me.

Cabela's sells arrows made by several manufacturers so you stating that you wouldn't buy any of their arrows again rules out Easton, Carbon Express, PSE and Gold Tip since they all sell shafts or completed arrows to them to market with or without their branding. Those shafts are EXACTLY the same as they use in their own products so I fail to see how not buying Cabela's arrows will eliminate the issue.

kicker

Your right about the cheap arrows. I stay away from them as well. "I" haven't herd of a top end arrow doing that out of the box.

>
> DO MANY ARCHERS SHOOT
>ALUMINUM ARROWS ANY MORE ???
> IS THE CARBON ARROW
>THE ONLY MATERIAL THAT COMES
>APART/ DOES IT HAPPEN MUCH
>??? ?? I ASK
>BECAUSE I AM CURRENT IN
>THE PROCESS OF PUTTING ARCHERY
>EQUIPMENT TOGETHER FOR A
>UP COMING HUNT......NEED A BIT
>OF COACHING......................THANKS, ....YD.

I shoot XX75 2315 @ 29.5".they fly great for me as a finger shooter,Whtas ur set up /on your bow?

When carbon arrows first came out you would often see arrows that splintered. It was pretty common, especially if you hit something other than the target. I have always shot Gold Tip XT arrows, and had good luck with them. They are graphite, and they wrap the fibers around the arrow. I have never had one blow up, in any way. I have hit rocks with them, and at the most, I have to cut an inch off the end. That arrow then gets a judo tip and becomes a plinking arrow. I bought a dozen a couple years back, and I do my own fletching and sizing. Still have 4 shafts in the pack. Arrows are still shooting well, I just got done shooting for the morning. Going back to aluminum arrow, is a waste of money IMO. I am not sure why any body would still use those things, but that is just my opinion.
Sorry you had a close call...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom